1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What a neuroscientist says about meditation's bad side effects

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Jun 20, 2020.

1. I wanted to share an article about the possible side effects from meditation, so anyone who is recovering from PMO addiction can decide , if it is good idea to start meditation, or not!

I think this is the fair play, just as people should be warned before they take medication with possible long term bad side effects.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Willoughby Britton is a scientist, who's main study topic is meditation, she made some good studies about meditation's good, and bad effects too.

"Willoughby Britton, the director of the clinical and affective neuroscience laboratory at Brown University*, runs a support group for people like* David—people for whom meditation has caused a psychological and physical crisis*. Each week, she gets more emails from people who are struggling, asking for her help. “I’m seeing a lot of casualties,” she says.*

The group connects online, where people of all ages and backgrounds across nine time zones come together and find solace in the company of others who are also suffering from the negative side effects of meditation.

More than 75 percent of research studies on meditation aren’t measuring or monitoring adverse effects, Britton tells me. Last year, she published the largest study on meditation-related problems, interviewing 100 meditation teachers and other meditators who had personal knowledge of such issues."

I think it is kinda bad those overhyped studies often not looked for bad side effects of meditation.

" The amygdala isn’t only involved in negative emotions, but also positive ones. If you decrease one, the other may follow. “People in our research complain of not having any emotions, even positive ones, not feeling any kind of love or affection for their families,
    Britton says. “That's like too much of that same once-beneficial process.”

Source:
    Meditation Is a Powerful Mental Tool—and For Some People It Goes Terribly Wrong

kropo82 likes this.
  2. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Good and bad is too simplistic in the first place. Clearly what most people do is pigeonhole things into one of two categories, and never qualifies it in a specific way.

We don't have to look any further than the device we're on to recognize that with a powerful tool it can cut both ways, the same is true of peoples own mind - and yet people do not question this simplistic polarized position taking instead of understanding and making distinctions.

So for the same reason some may opt for a dumb phone, some people may not want to meditate. If you're not ready to take responsibility for the mental process of your own mind with any significant detail and distinctions then you're just going about it blind.

Of course, the difference is one is an external device, the other is your own mind and you have to live with it.

The irony is there IS NO MINDFULNESS when people are indiscriminately practicing. Lots of people of course just log time and do the same practice over and over, and once AGAIN with the "more is better" mentality which is also the basic logic of addiction. (interestingly, sometimes people on a meditation retreat will be told to stop and go home - though of course this is a teaching staff with psychology degrees) It's just repetition, and there's not much intelligence in just repetition. You may be mindful about whatever you're experiencing during the meditation, but are you mindful of what kind of meditation you are doing and why? Or is that initial decision completely arbitrary, or little more than just "it's a good thing"? Did Martha Stewart suggest it?

Making distinctions is basically the concluding point of the article:

This is why I say sometimes people don't actually have a recovery program, they have a laundry list of things they do. The word "program" implies some logical process at work. If someone is too lazy to make distinctions and look at details then there can be no mindfulness and there can be no program other than a rote script.

Willjtype and Optimum Fortitude like this.
  3. palindromo

palindromo Fapstronaut

This study doesn't have a great value
    It only takes in count meditation experts , not normal people doing some meditation when they feel bad emotions.

A study on 60 pople doesn't have a great value. It's a too small group.

But what makes me think bad it's that they talk about '' largest study on meditation- related problems '' interviewing ONLY 100 people , with only 60 to be taken into account

Source: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0176239#sec028

Submariner likes this.
  4. Ashen One

Ashen One Fapstronaut

You said it all.

5. There are good, and bad. There are good effects, and bad side effects too that not talked enough about meditation.
    Those guys not ready to take responsibility who suggest meditation for recovering addicts, without face, without any accountability on online forums. Not those who being pulled to try meditation, before they even told about possible bad side effects. I hope you are not one of them who just keep telling meditation so awsome, meanwhile you forgot to tell the bad side of the coin. Or are you one?

kropo82 likes this.
  6. This study is a very good start to show meditation techniques are not without bad side effects! We can make the conclusion meditation experts are good example to see the long term effects, as those are need to be know before anyone start such a practise. There is no point to start meditation if you know experts, who probably doing everything well in practise(or they would not be called experts) suffer from these side effects. Who want to suffer more?

From that study:
    "Meditation-related adverse effects that were serious or distressing enough to warrant additional treatment have been reported in clinical and medical literature. These include reports of meditation-induced psychosis, seizures, depersonalization, mania and other forms of clinical deterioration [6373]. Descriptions of meditation-induced depersonalization and other clinically relevant problems also appear in the APA’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders [7476]. While meditation-related difficulties that are serious enough to warrant treatment are acknowledged in the clinical literature, there continues to be a lack of systematic investigation into challenging meditation experiences, what causes them, and how to prevent or manage them.

Reports from meditation practitioners have also been researched within the framework of anomalous experiences. Such studies are often lab-based experiments that use inductions to create state-based changes in one or more meditators in order to explore neural correlates [7779]. This category includes studies on changes in sense of self [7881], changes in sense of time and space [77, 80, 82], and changes in perception [83]. Other research has investigated trait-based changes in perception following an extended period of meditation practice [27]."
    Psychosis, seizures, depersonalization, mania and other forms of clinical deterioration? Mindfullnes should be advertised by these words!

You also do not got the most important sentence from that study. Previous studies very rarely looked for possible bad side effects of meditation, they only looked for good things. So yeah, I have bad news for you. Those overhyped studies reporting meditation is so healthy are the ones that have no "great value".

7. palindromo

palindromo Fapstronaut

Research_design_and_evidence.svg-1000.png < Pyramid of Levels of Evidence

I would like to clarify , what i mean about '' high value study '' . It is a scientific concept to analyze studies

Not all the studies have the same value , for exemple if a study take in control 10k people it has more value than a study with 60 people.
    If a study indicate an result , it is not necessary true. Observational studies are only theories that requires many validations.

Some validations comes with Meta analysis studies.
    They take in considerations plents of studies , discard the less valid , they try to find a truth behind the randomness and mistakes of scientists.

Moreover If a study is published for exemple on Nature , it has more value , but it is not necessary a truth. Simply Nature has a rigid committee of scientist.
    Not all journals are equally valid.

If these concepts are not understood by the population, there will always be anti vaccinators and those who believe in lies...

8. I think the OP is very interesting . The fact that negative emotions and not only hindered but positive emotional as well leading to a unemotional state. I wonder if there are any practicing Stoics here who might find this useful. I know seeing this insight into the potential for being less emotional through meditation, happy or otherwise, as a reason to practice it myself.

9. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

If I was, would I have written the reply the way I did and talked about taking responsibility? The entire idea of understanding in context doesn't lend itself to only promoting the good, but it seems you did not take responsibility for reading the entire post and only want to press one point.

I agree you want to take responsibility for what you post online, but at the same time you cannot take responsibility for other people doing what they do, whether it's not reading something through or doing/not doing something, according to detailed qualifications and evaluating your own experience.

Do you ever consider the idea of qualifications? Since you insist on framing it as good and bad it doesn't seem like you do. Put simply, to qualify something is to say it's good FOR a certain condition or person, or bad FOR them, not that something is absolutely good or bad across the board. It's not a complex concept. Some physical exercises are not good FOR certain people, but you don't hear people talk about it in the way you are, in terms of side effects.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with meditation, but what we can say is that it (whatever type of meditation, again it is qualified otherwise 'meditation' is a general word only) was not good FOR YOU. Yes, it may be true for other people as well, but without knowing more detail you can just post a general warning like this and there is nothing to discuss because there is simply no new information. You are essentially just repeating the same point with different words.

In my reply I specifically quoted from the article YOU LINKED TO in which their entire point is to make this kind of distinction, but curiously you don't seem to be interested in details. If your entire point is "it could be negative", fine, point made. But it basically takes using those four words along with any "supporting" information which people can look at if you are not interested in talking about any of the details. It almost seem like you don't want other people to think it through, just that "it could be bad."

10. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

There's just one little problem with that sentence, mindfulness does not mean meditation. You can be mindful going through life without ever doing a single second of meditation practice, you're just aware of whatever it is you're mindful of, that's what the word means.

I don't think things should be chosen by their marketing/advertisement anyway, but that is also precisely what you are doing. You are advertising the negative side effects, which is understandable but regardless of positive or negative it isn't helpful for people who want to understand beyond basing on this kind of laundry list way of thinking, which is just like how the average user think about a list of benefits to be had, your thinking is the same except it's the negative side as it relates to meditation.

There is a simple way to UNDERSTAND and look at this though, and that is contraindications. With medicine or any kind of therapeutic treatment there are things that can be helpful in general but certain situations should definitely not be used. That doesn't mean it is exclusively bad, but again the SIMPLE idea that it is not good FOR that person in their particular situation.

If a healthy body can do some kind of exercise but not when it's not healthy, it's not hard to see mental exercises might be appropriate for a healthy mind but when there is mental problems it is contraindicated. That doesn't mean it is inherently bad or, perhaps more importantly that the decision should be motivated by fear, which sounds to me like where you're coming from. Just my perception and I own that but I think given the string of posts you've made it is not completely unfounded.

If you are completely unwilling to talk about a qualified consideration or even acknowledge the simple logic of that point in general then there is no discussion to follow this point. You can keep repeating the point about side effects as your PSA to the world but it will not advance anything resembling a dialogue. Ironically what you are doing seems to be a kind of "meditation" given it is repetitive sort of like a mantra, even if you use different words. You're kind of meditating on the idea of the side effects. To me this is a mindless meditation that I see little benefit in whether it's on something positive or negative.

It might surprise you to learn there is such a thing as analytical meditation, which is about logically reasoning things out and understanding how it works step by step. I'm not stretching the meaning of the word, it is literally something they do in Tibetan Buddhism and that's what they call it. Just because all the common person knows about meditation is the "spacing out kind" it doesn't mean that's what all meditation is. It might as well just be a word meaning "mental exercise."

11. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Is that a sentence from the study or did you paraphrase what you consider to be the most important point?

I would think what is most important would be decided by the people who actually wrote it. I directly quoted the articles concluding point, which is more likely to be what THEY consider most important, and you ignored that.

Cherry picking is basically not scientific, anyone who wants to can look that up. It's one thing to want to inform people because they may not be aware of another side of the issue, but that thinking process is essentially against what scientific inquiry is about. It's looking to support a position rather than to understand.

You may be disappointed if your sole agenda is to highlight bad effects, and think of this as your thread, but you cannot expect a message on an open forum to only consist of people who agree and want to support your point in the same way. It's not just a matter of "fair play" but people actually will think about it and reason on it, if you won't follow that and ignore other points in your response it ends up being you looking like the one lacking in fairness, even if you did present information that wasn't represented before.