1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why would you have an issue with someone who doesn't cause you any grief?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by skaterdrew, Jul 6, 2020.

1. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

There could be loads of different examples for this.

But this is just something that doesn't make any sense to me. Why do some people have an issue with other people who don't cause them any grief, who don't affect their life negatively in anyway?

It could be something as simple as someone maybe just doesn't like the way a person is living their life, they might not agree with what someone is doing or what someone does.

But the thing I don't understand is if the person isn't causing you any grief, if the person isn't affecting your life negatively in anyway, then why do you even care what the person is doing?

The thing is some people can actually dislike someone and not be nice towards someone simply because they might not like the way they're living their life, they might not agree with things they do. But some people literally dislike someone and don't act nice towards someone for this even if the person isn't negatively affecting their life in anyway.

I just don't see why anyone would care what someone else does if it doesn't affect them negatively in anyway. I would be nice to everyone who is nice to me. But like I said you get people who wouldn't like someone and wouldn't be nice to someone who is always nice to them, who doesn't affect their life negatively in anyway, but they simply wouldn't like this person or act friendly towards this person because they might not agree with other things they do.

I mean I can understand someone not liking someone if they're doing something serious, hurting other people ext. But if they aren't doing anything like that then why would you even care what someone else does if it doesn't affect you negatively in anyway?

It's kind of like some people hold other people to some sort of standard in this life, and if a person isn't meeting this standard then this is enough for some people to not like the person, to not want to really acknowledge the person and act friendly towards the person.

Like I said I'd usually be nice to everyone who is nice to me. I'd usually be nice to everyone who doesn't cause me any grief in my life. But then you get people who aren't nice or friendly to someone who don't cause them any grief, but they simply aren't nice or friendly to someone just because they don't agree with the way they're living their life, or they don't agree with something they're doing. The person basically isn't meeting this standard that the other person thinks they should be, and this is enough for the other person to dislike them.

My point is why would you even care how someone else is living their life or what someone is doing if it doesn't negatively affect you in anyway? Why would you not still act nice and friendly towards someone like this?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    AngelofDarkness likes this.
  2. False promise

False promise Fapstronaut

I think it’s a lot more complicated than you’re making it out to be. There are typically egos involved when people believe different things and live their lives in polarizing ways. That’s just to mention one thing that comes to mind.

3. If they aren't affecting me but they are affecting themselves or others in a negative way, then I definitely care. My question to you is: why shouldn't we care what others are doing or thinking?

vercent99 likes this.
  4. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

But do you think this would make you not act nice towards someone?

Like say someone was doing something that you didn't really agree with but it didn't actually affect you in anyway. Could something like this cause you to dislike the person and not act friendly towards them.

I'm not meaning doing anything serious. Like I don't mean hurting other people or anything like that. As I could see how people would dislike someone who was doing something like that.

The person might just be doing something that you don't really agree with, but it doesn't affect you in anyway. Does this cause you to dislike them and not be friendly towards them?

5. You have to be more specific, because I don't know what you mean by "serious." Are we talking about, for example, someone who eats pizza with a fork instead of with their hands? Like that kind of stuff?

vercent99 likes this.
  6. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

Well one example I could give you is I have a neighbour who doesn't maintain his garden. So his garden looks a mess. But the thing is it doesn't actually bother me, it doesn't affect me in anyway. He is always nice to me when I see him and I am always nice to him.

But then there is actually other neighbours on the street who don't like him, just because they think it is wrong that he is letting his garden get in to a state like that and not tidying it up.

It doesn't bother me because it doesn't affect me in anyway. It doesn't affect those other neighbours either. But because they simply think it is wrong this literally causes them to dislike this neighbour and not act friendly towards this neighbour.

This is just one example. But it is things like this I am talking about. Someone might be doing something minor that you don't really think is right, but it doesn't actually affect your life negatively in anyway, yet this is enough for some people to dislike the person and not act friendly towards the person.

I kind of see it like why not just mind your own business?

7. Oh ok I get it now. I feel like that's just a part of being human - we want other people to agree with us and like the same things we like, etc. I pick on people all the time for things that don't affect me. For example, I play folk music and I hate classical musicians because I see them as perfectionists and elitists, even if they are 10x more skilled than I am.

It's just shit talking mostly. But yeah I would attribute a lot of it to a fear of otherness. We like things that we know and things that we do, and we don't like foreign things, I guess.

8. MisterDoe

MisterDoe Fapstronaut

Possible reason why neighbours are not happy about it:
    1. It decreases an entire neighbourhood property value. It would be harder to sell/rent a house if the next to house is a complete mess.
    2. Possible health hazard. Ticks, left out rubbish, risk of rat infestation and attracting a whole host of other unwanted pests. link.
    3. Homeowners often take pride in keeping their home clean. If a neighbor won't maintain a similar standard. It can be demotivating. Imagine if you are surrounded by neighbors who don't care about house appearance and you are the only one who cares.

9. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

It's ironic, because it's semi detached houses on the street, and my house is actually the house that is joined to the neighbours house who has the really messy garden. So I actually have more of a right to be annoyed about the messy garden than the other neighbours.

Like I said it really doesn't bother me. It doesn't affect me in anyway. It doesn't affect those other neighbours in anyway either.

I think the main reason the other neighbours are annoyed is number 3. They basically just think it is shocking he lets his garden get in to a state like that, and this alone is enough for them to not like him and not act friendly towards him.

I personally think it is very wrong the way some of my other neighbours are acting like towards him. I do think they should seriously just mind their own business.

This is just one example. But there is people who literally dislike someone and don't act friendly towards someone just because they don't agree with something they do, even if what they're doing doesn't affect them in anyway.

10. I think people that talk badly about others need to compensate for their own insecurities and complexes. It's not rational or logical to feel the need to invest energy and effort into something that has no effect on one's personal life. A garden that is not maintained (unless we’re talking about trash) harms or offends absolutely nobody. It simply makes your neighbors feel better about themselves when they point out someone else's "flaws". His garden looks ugly, their garden looks nice. They can make themselves look like hardworking people taking care of their garden, while he is lazy and inferior to them. It really is a shame that some people feel the need to deflect their issues on others rather than working on themselves.

11. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

I couldn't agree more.

I think what really puzzles me is how things like this can actually bother someone else to the point they don't actually like the person because of it. It really puzzles me because what the person is doing isn't actually negatively affecting the other persons life in anyway, it's just because the person basically doesn't agree with what the other person is doing, and this alone is enough for some people to dislike someone and not act civil towards someone.

AngelofDarkness likes this.
  12. I think they might not actually really dislike him. Since objectively they don't know a thing about him as a person. They might just act as if they don't like him to keep reminding themselves of his "inferiority" to them, so they can continue to feel better about themselves. They could also feel threatened and be jealous of his "freedom" to not feel pressured by society to invest free time into something that feels more like a chore rather than a fun hobby, because they are afraid of others' judgement while he isn't. I don't know, I'm just speculating, but it is certain that he isn't the problem but those other people looking down on him for doing absolutely nothing bad to them.

skaterdrew and Deleted Account like this.
  13. vercent99

vercent99 Fapstronaut

if my far neighbour is mistreating his children or pets, which personally doesnt affect me, does that mean i shouldnt involve myself? of course not. others are getting hurt so i should involve.

if my far neighbour is hurting himself from suicidal tendencies, which doesnt personally affect me, does that mean i shouldnt involve myself? of course not. others are getting hurt so i should involve.

same thing with people who vote for laws that will change my way of life etc

14. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

If you read my other posts you will see I wrote I am not talking about doing anything serious like hurting other people ext. That also includes children and animals. I would understand if someone disliked and hated someone for doing these sort of things, even if it didn't affect them.

I'm talking about when someone does something that doesn't hurt any other human or creature, their not even hurting them self. They might just be doing something that someone doesn't really agree with, something that doesn't affect them in anyway, something that doesn't hurt any other human being or creature, something that doesn't even hurt them self. Usually it's overall minor things I am talking about. Yet you get a lot of people that simply won't like someone for doing these sort of things, who won't even want to be civil to someone for doing certain things.

Like a few of my neighbours not liking and not acknowledging my other neighbour for example, just because he has a messy garden. It's stuff like this I am talking about.

This is what I mean when I say some people don't like someone and aren't civil to someone when someone does something minor that doesn't even affect them, it's simply just because they don't necessarily agree with what the person does, and this is enough for these other people to be assholes basically.

Basically I don't understand why you get people who would decide to not be civil to someone like this. I don't understand why people don't mind their own business in situations like this. I don't understand how a person doing something like this could bother someone to the point it made them dislike the person.

15. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Conform or be an outcast. That’s just how society works. If you don’t follow the crowd, then people tend to think less of you. You don’t want to upset the herd.

skaterdrew likes this.
  16. kropo82

kropo82 Fapstronaut

I wonder if it's also about themselves. Perhaps the behaviour that offends them and makes them angry is behaviour that deep down they wish they were doing, but they cannot face that side of themselves and have buried it deeply in their psyche. Seeing the very thing that frightens them about themselves expressed without concern in someone else makes them irrationally angry, because they are too frightened to recognise that side of themselves. I suspect that is where most homophobia comes from, and why it is expressed as hatred and anger rather than fear.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    The Passenger and skaterdrew like this.
  17. Because most of us are guilty of letting other people decide our worth (even in our own eyes.)

If someone's being a d!#k, there's nothing wrong in not being friends with them. However letting their stupidity affect our composure is the wrong way for sure.

18. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

Who's the d!#k though?

The person who is doing something minor that doesn't affect anybody else?

Or the person who has a serious problem with the person who is doing something minor? Who has such a problem with them that it makes them not even want to acknowledge the person or be civil to the person.

kropo82 likes this.
  19. Things tend to have a domino effect. What starts as a small misdeed, might snowball over the years into something that might affect a handful of people or more. So who's to say what's minor and what isn't.

Just focus on your own stuff, make friends who believe and practice the same things as you do. Be careful and stay safe.

This is so simple and useful to follow.

20. vercent99

vercent99 Fapstronaut

its petty not to like someone for having a messy garden, ive never seen such people. Ive seen people who dont wanna be friends because of different political views or religions and ethnicities which i dont agree with ofcourse.

but in a way i also understand the messy garden a little bit because it can show that the person is unorganized.

or lets, someone who wears dirty clothes all the time, people will stare at u when hanging around them etc. what is ur opinion about that? i havent really been in such occasion

except 1 time someone had really bad breath and i didnt wanna be around him at all. i kept the conversation short to go away quick. So do i now fit the person/idea u are talking about ?