1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Learning to code? Post here.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Jun 20, 2020.

1. obi64

obi64 Fapstronaut

When i was learning coding i ran into this app called solo learn. It was really useful. It taught you coding but the best part was they had an in built code tester ( i can't remember what its called). So you could literally create a program on the app and then test it.

From what I've seen people created quite interesting programs on the app anf shared them. So i would say yeah you can start learning coding on a smartphone.

But i don't recommend using only sololearn to learn. I would recommend finding some other app or website as well because the lessons on sololearn are not always the best

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  2. MixerAwersome

MixerAwersome Fapstronaut

yeah, I have tried solo learn. It's best for revision purpose but not for learning cause they have very short format.

3. bakchod422

bakchod422 New Fapstronaut

I'm learning algorithms on Coursera. So far so good. And, also a course on Mathematics in programming. Wherever you go, data structures and algorithms are very essential to be recognised as a skilled programmer.

4. MixerAwersome

MixerAwersome Fapstronaut

yeah,Im learning DS&A with Cpp . Can you give me some tips and best websites for learning and practice.

5. bakchod422

The language you choose to perform these programs doesn't really matter. Although, if you're looking for a good pace then try Python because the semantics are very easy to understand. You can learn the language within hours. Literally. Here's the best tip I've received: practice in competitive programming. I personally use HackerRank but people say CodeForces is also a very good choice. GeeksForGeeks is a good place for basics too.

MixerAwersome likes this.
  6. crane77

crane77 Fapstronaut

Hey, i'm doing freecodecamp javascript right now and am starting the odin project

bakchod422 likes this.
  7. webdevil81

webdevil81 Fapstronaut

How you finding freecodecamp @crane77?

8. crane77

crane77 Fapstronaut

Well i think it is great,they systematically go through all of the needed knowledge(and they have a great community which can help with projects), but i'm stuck with some javascript challenges and decided to try something new.
    And how is odin project going for you?

bakchod422 likes this.
  9. bakchod422

Javascript is a good place to start given it's omnipresence

10. webdevil81

webdevil81 Fapstronaut

It can be quite tough going sometimes, there is not much hand holding. It does get you used to reading documentation and finding answers/info yourself. Also you start off using things like git and the command line straight away which is good I feel. Very active community on discord(jimbob81 if you want to add me) and so far I am really enjoying the challenge.

On a differing note does anyone use multiple screens? I have a 22" monitor hooked up to my MBP and am toying with getting a second to make it easier to have the odin project, vs code, browser and whatever else I might need to reference.

11. PegasusKid

PegasusKid Fapstronaut

I started learning JavaScript about a week ago. I'm hoping to get accepted into this coding bootcamp thats doing a free program with the city. I have to do a coding assessment before the 13th and based on my performance, I'll either go straight into the program or have to do a bootcamp prep course first, and then test for that.
    I sometimes like to use my macbook pro with my monitor and have whatever resource I'm using to learn on the macbook and vs code or whatever IDE the resource has built into it on the monitor. Its pretty helpful for sure but I don't always use this setup.

webdevil81 likes this.