1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

A frank discussion about Christians, Christianity and God

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Eric'sBlue, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Phibz

Phibz Fapstronaut

I choose to be true to myself. That includes thinking for myself. The problem I see with religious folk is that they have a really hard time differentiating between truth and fantasy. There are things in life that simply cannot be explained. The "truth" also lies in the ability to say, "I don't know." Instead of smoke-screening and attempts at explaining what cannot be explained.

Lightningbob1964 and Boomer49 like this.
  2. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

Yes, I must say I've always been a little suspicious of apologetics. Was it the Cistercians, or the Franciscans, who first questioned the link between reason and reality when rationalism was all the rage?:rolleyes:

3. Another generalization... I, and many many many "religious people" I know, have absolutely no problem saying "I don't know."

Jehu2077 likes this.
  4. Heffe

Heffe Guest

Before I began to type this answer I was trying to think of something that did not have a standard or unchanging reference point that differentiated between right and wrong. I was trying to imagine a system with no right and wrong answers. I thought about mathematics, the laws of logic, government systems, sports......the list goes on. I could not think of one system where there was no form of defining law or standard (or reference point). It's possible that I've missed some but I cannot think of one instance where this is not the case. Can you think of a system without a reference point that indicates right or wrong?

Edit: After looking at this post I realized this is what I want to say. Because every system in life has laws and regulations, wouldn't it be logical to have unchanging moral laws as well?

Heffe =)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
  5. BuckDoe63

BuckDoe63 Fapstronaut

I feel sorry for you; sounds like you have not met to many real Christians... I am a strong, Spirit filled, Christian: I go to a wonderful church, is it perfect, no, no church is. Do I sin, and miss it... I would not be here if I did not. I know my bible well, I know God very will, do I know everything, I'm not to proud to say that I don't, but God will keep revealing more of His truth to me. I can hold my own in a debate, but I choose not to if I sense that it is futile. Like Paul said, "don't get caught up in futile arguments".

Heffe and TakingTheSteps like this.
  6. yoyo1

yoyo1 Guest

You have little historical knowledge I see.

7. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

Please enlighten us.

8. San7orini

San7orini Fapstronaut

Religion was useful to indocrinate and give power and order over people.

The laws, the sins, all created by the church is only good for the church and the state.

God creating sins, laws, hell, devil. None of this make any sense. But if you examine the perspective from men at that time, it makes all the sense. Gods were relevant back them, order and power still is.

9. Stragler

Stragler Fapstronaut

I’m very interested in the Jewish faith as well. I’m a born again Christian but I listen to a podcast every week from Jewish people and rabbis in Israel. There teaching really brings the Old Testament to light in a way I haven’t heard in the church. I am so grateful to have found this podcast. So much wisdom and truth to gain from the Jews. It actually strengthens my faith in Jesus even though they are openly against Him. Example of something I learned from this is how The Last Supper was Jesus and His disciples celebrating Passover and Jesus specifically skipped the cup of bitter herbs in this meal because He was about to take part in the Bitter suffering that was to come. He prayed let this cup pass from me in the garden that night. Also the Jewish people had to paint the lambs blood on the doorpost to be saved from the angel of death in Egypt during the first Passover. So to do we as Christians require the Lambs blood for our sins if we are to escape eternal death.