1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Reading the bible in 2020

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

one of my projects for 2020 is to read the whole Bible in 365 days. It takes about 10-20 minutes a day (reading quite slowly and thoughtfully), so can be done every morning with your coffee or tea, rather than wasting time checking facebook or news sites etc. And by this time next year, you will have read the Bible from cover to cover.

I am following this guide:
    https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-reading-plan/book-order.html
    although I am using my own personal King James Bible, as I love the old fashioned language - and I also much prefer reading from a page rather than a screen.

There are also alternatives than 'book order' on the website, 'chronological order' puts the Psalms in their proper historical context rather than all together, or you can alternate old/New Testament readings etc. Up to you. Personally I am going 'cover to cover'.

If you are a regular church goer, like me, but rarely dipped into the Bible outside of a distant memory of Sunday school, there will be lots of familiar stories but also much that is unfamiliar - it's a pretty intimidatingly long read.

If this is something you have wanted to do for a while, to get familiar with the Bible and especially learn about the Bible stories beyond the familiar ones, how about starting today?

2. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

That's actually really interesting. I'm not a Christian, but I have been interested in reading the Bible. Not sure if I have the time and motivation to start today, but I'll keep this guide in my mind in case I'll find it helpful once I start reading.

3. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

I started few days ago. New Testament first and then the Old. I’m currently at John. I’m reading it as an audiobook. First time doing that, it helps because sometime I read too fast and don’t really understand what I read. Here I have enough time to think.

4. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

It's a good thing to do. I'm currently in the book of 2 Kings in my quest to read it from start to finish. I pray that the Lord blesses your efforts. Amen.

5. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

This is a good thing. I think most Christians haven't read the entire Bible and as a result, are somewhat ignorant of what the Bible says. I have a blog where I write my thoughts after reading a chapter. Since I start studying at the end of the month I'll have to stop but I plan to return when I'm able to do so.

I will say the Bible plans tend to load a lot of chapters for you to read in a day. I thought about doing one but I wanted to think about what I had read so I decided to stick to reading just one chapter a week.

Henryforward and drac16 like this.
  6. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

I agree. Also people love to take verse out of context to push their agenda.

7. Hexham C

Hexham C Fapstronaut

I also like the language of the King James Version - it's powerful and beautiful (like Christ Himself).

I completed the Bible a couple of years ago - I still read passages but now I would like a new challenge. I'm not sure which Christian work to read as a challenge after the Bible.

Henryforward likes this.
  8. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

If you want something other than the Bible, check out The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan. It's an allegorical tale about a guy named Christian and the struggles he faces as a christian. It's about the challenges we all face. I can't recommend it enough. Other than that, check out Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. :D

Hexham C likes this.
  9. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Approaching halfway point in this challenge (I'm about halfway through Psalms). Lots of challenging reading so far, as well as the excellent self-discipline of early waking and reading before the rest of my family gets up.

I was actually surprised how familiar so many of the old testament stories are. I guess we studied more than I thought at school. The Psalms are the most 'literary' works so far, some really beautiful languages and passages, and a real human relationship with God. Frequently the author seems to be having a bleak dark night of the soul, feeling distant and alone from God. It's easy to feel a bit distant from the Old Testament characters who appear to casually converse with God - or at least, that's the way it is presented in the text.

I'm really looking forward to the Gospels. But that's a few months off yet!

Henryforward likes this.
  10. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

11. On the Gideons' web site, they have a plan laid out to read the Bible in a year.

12. Awesome mate such a good idea. Keep renewing the mind. Draw near to God and he will draw near to you. Keep fighting.

fredisthebes likes this.
  13. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Hmm, not too keen on the 'doing things while drunk lol' subgenre.

Ghost in the Shell likes this.
  14. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Ha! Well this can be moved to the relevant sub-forum if necessary, I don't want to ruffle any feathers :) but this is primarily a literary thread aimed a building knowledge and self-discipline, it's not supposed to be preaching.

Currently reading Song of Solomon, a remarkable, literary and romantic, even erotic, text. Various conservative-minded Christian and Jewish scholars have argued an allegorical interpretation, but I prefer a literal one. There is so much variety in the Bible, the Old Testament especially.

15. Steppingintotheunkown

Steppingintotheunkown Fapstronaut

I'm reading through the gospels each day, I read a chapter then spend sometime reaserching what I have read

16. Been meaning to read the bible for some time now. After I finish my current book it will be the next one I hit. It's funny, I know devout Christians who still haven't read it.

17. That could technically be considered a relapse/reset.

18. Do it, it's quite fascinating for non-believers and believers alike. I think that our (Western I guess) civilization suffered a huge blow when Bible stopped being the book that everyone read and was familiar with. That distinction now belongs to Harry Potter :rolleyes:

19. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Very true. A great deal of 'classic' literature assumes a fairly good knowledge of the Bible. And Classical (Roman/Greek) mythology, for that matter.

20. Well I'm more of a non-fiction guy myself, but it's kind of hard to avoid the topic of the Bible in America, so best to get it out of the way.

fredisthebes likes this.