1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Question About Employment Process

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by RobinCoenBrosFan, Jul 25, 2018.

1. RobinCoenBrosFan

RobinCoenBrosFan Fapstronaut

Hi,

I was just at the first stage of a job interview for a restaurant/customer service position and got called back for a second round (yeah buddy!) but one girl in the group that was interviewing, I heard, had been told when meeting with the account manager/spokesperson that she would not be a good fit for the company because she had a light stutter/speech impediment. I’m just wondering, does this practice not go against EEO (Equal Employment Opportunities Act?) as in, accommodating people with disabilities? Or is the medium of customer service just not appropriate for these kinds of people (slowing the job down, etc.)

2. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

Yeah that does violate EEO. If I were her I would bring it up with the ministry of labor

3. RobinCoenBrosFan

Maybe. Or whatever the American equivalent of that is, hahaha

4. KS1994

KS1994 Fapstronaut

It does not count as discrimination if their disability interferes with job performance after reasonable adjustments have been made. If it is a front-of-house customer service role and she has a significant disability, the business would not be in breach of the act. Of course, affirmative action differs from country to country so I may be mistaken.

OnceAfraidToMerge likes this.
  5. ElizabethManning

ElizabethManning Fapstronaut

I would like you to explain to me more precisely what this means.

6. RobinCoenBrosFan

Holy cannoli I don’t even remember this thread...I was trying to get a hamburger restaurant job in NYC at the time (I won’t name it, I got another job since then, before Miss ‘Rona hit) and the hiring manager was talking to the group that was asked to participate in the second round after the first round of the interview, there was this woman in the first round with a speech impediment. The hiring manager said to the group called back for the second round, privately, that she wouldn’t be a good fit for the job due to her speech impediment. I was wondering if this could be considered discrimination against people with disabilities, and that a disability or affliction in and of itself should not prevent one from being hired.