1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

HOW TO TALK BETTER WITH PEOPLE

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Zeus@1234, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Zeus@1234

Zeus@1234 Fapstronaut

Hi everyone, this is a topic i always wanted to ask someone about ,but always felt my ego getting in the way of asking.So how do you talk better with people, as in whenever i talk to my fellow classmates or any other person for that matter ,they think i'm very childish or immature, i crack very lame jokes, which obviously they don't like, (i feel very funny by my jokes though).Also beacuse of all this i don't like speaking with people because i think ill be too stupid or out of the box kinda thing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

2. Arkimedo

Arkimedo Fapstronaut

what if your jokes actually are funny but your friends are humorless? I mean feel free to tell us some of your jokes in this post :emoji_slight_smile:

3. Allow me to give you some advice I got from a 70-80 year old diary entry of someone I read on Facebook. It was in my native tongue, so I will do my best to translate it for you from memory (I am not good at remembering stuff to top it).

If you want to be good at discourse, read the classics.

He mentioned how he was reading these great books and how he felt his quality of conversation was improving and people showed more interest in him.

Zeus@1234, Cathcart22 and Knighthawk like this.
  4. Cathcart22

Cathcart22 Fapstronaut

One thing is that people almost always like to talk about themselves - if you ask them questions about the things that excite them, even if you don't add much of your own, they will like you.

Zeus@1234 likes this.
  5. Zeus@1234

Zeus@1234 Fapstronaut

thank you very much, could you please suggest some of books, particularly of which genre.

6. Zeus@1234

Zeus@1234 Fapstronaut

yea that's right, thanks I'll try this
    Ya i hope so friend, but in the end i realize I'm stupid my jokes and conversations were too, the fellow colleagues and friends i have sound so mature, that i don't even realize what they're saying and that's very common, i feel I've been left out kinda thing

Cathcart22 likes this.
  7. Muphy

Muphy Fapstronaut

I feel the same.. but the thing is I dont care.. Another thing is people do take me serious when they are discussing on any general topic.
    How?

I read 2 newspapers and every news on google news every single day.
    And most importantly, read the stuff of your opposing views.

(for example, if everybody is against some Law imposed by Donald Trump, dont forget to read about the law and to whom its going to give benefit. Because all people and news channel will be talking about its harms and negative effects, you got to read about why it was taken and to whom its going to help... bec people have no fucking idea about the law. )

How does it help. ???

I argue with the best possible points and include my opinion into that and since they dont have much knowledge on the topic (bec most of their knowledge comes from facebook posts,whatsapp forwarded msgs and news channels, they dont have any idea about real topic). So, that gives me the edge in those discussions.

And I reap the benefits in other talks.. I just crack any lame joke, any old story, or any lame incident .. even if they dont laugh or they say its the worst joke etc.. they still hear me. And when there are discussions on topic, they ask me what you think.. they themselves give the power to you.

My suggestion:
    Always remember, knowledge gives you the edge.

zeusmx, Stragler and Zeus@1234 like this.
  8. Zeus@1234

Zeus@1234 Fapstronaut

thanks mate,ill try this for sure.

9. Just be down to earth and act like you are act work and your talkative vibration will be up. It's funny how you mention ego. Mine I admit goes up a little bit when I'm in chat rooms for DJ's or etc.. I have to catch myself and relax. I look at myself and even I don't approve of it. Especially when there on some girls in the room. I guess I just get nervous...

Just throw something interesting out when you are with classmates and look up weird news or something like that, funny stories, or your interest's. You listen to them and if they care they will listen back to you.

I remember being very laid back with my high school friends years ago. I would honestly just go with the flow and enjoy myself and my time with them and not worry about who's thinking what. Unless someone started drama then I knew who not talk to anymore.

Zeus@1234 likes this.
  10. Zeus@1234

Zeus@1234 Fapstronaut

thanks mate

11. zeusmx

zeusmx Fapstronaut

That’sa great suggestion!