1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Quitting PMO has helped me develope positive habits and get rid of some old ones...

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Tswizzle, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Tswizzle

Tswizzle Fapstronaut

Hello all,
    Have you noticed if quitting PMO helped you quit other bad habits? For me it definitely has. It has also replaced some older bad habits with new ones. Since I stopped PMO, I have done the following.
    1. Stopped overeating- I am fasting the 16/ 8 ratio and during the 8 hours a day that I can consume food, I consume wisely. With the exception of homemade zucchini bread:p, I do not really consume sugar. I am starting to view food in a similar way to sex... You shouldn't over do and should enjoy it. I notice myself eating a lot slower than I used to, trying to enjoy every crumb of the very little food I eat. Fasting has helped immensely with my urges. Indulging in too much food actually makes urges worse for me. It is the same compulsive behaviour as PMO. One night I actually tried to cover up an urge with eating ice cream and almost relapsed in addition to eating a tub of ice cream...SMH
    2. Exercising every day- Some days it's as simple as a walk. Other days it's yoga, a small weight lifting routine, and a 2 mile run... But I always get out and do something. It is honestly one of the most important parts of my day. No exercising leaves so much energy unused and contributes to relapse.
    3. I meditate- I literally set a timer for at least 10 minutes and just listen to my breath. The last two times, I had the pleasure of meditating on my porch during a beautiful rain storm. I try to breathe deeply and redirect the sexual energy in my body to other places.
    4. I read- I read chapter books on my own and read childrens' books to my god daughter via skype every Wednesday. I recently finished a book called Fighting Proud. It's a story for LGBTQ+ males who fought in the world wars... AMAZING. I plan to soon finish Moby Dick and read Le Compte de Monte Cristo in French. This will be the first full book I read in my second language.
    5. I only drink 1-2 cups of coffee or tea a day- I am completely addicted to caffeine. For a long time, I couldn't function without constantly drinking caffeinated beverages. I would have migraines and hate my life without my precious Yerba Mate. Now I only drink a cup or two in the morning and I am great.
    6. I don't consume alcohol at all- I am more of a wine drinker than anything, but right now I have zero desire to drink. I have smoked some marijuana since I started, but that's it.
    7. I refuse to use dating and hook up apps- Before my ex and I started dating, I was constantly on the apps looking for... Well, you know... Now I don't even consider this. I want to meet people in person and have meaningful interactions, even if we don't end up having sex.
    8. I am comfortable with my own company- Before COVID19 and NoFAP, I hated myself so much, that I would prefer to surround myself with toxic, annoying people, than learn to love myself.
    9. I try to be more present around my loved ones- I have truly been reminded that our time is limited on this Earth, by COVID19. My Grandmother contracted COVID19 in March and almost died. I feel like I barely know anything about my grandparents and I have been with them my whole life... There is no better time to explore my family history and ask questions. Soon I will also be constructing an alter for my ancestors with photos of my great grand parents. I have always believed in honouring the dead, and I haven't done it enough in my lifetime.
    10. I take better care of my plants- I adore my plants, but in all honesty, I only choose plants that can handle neglect. With the exception of some ferns, I own plants that can go weeks without water. Just because your plants are tolerating life, doesn't mean they are living their' best lives. Now I fertilize and water them just a tad more often than I did before. Anyone else big peperomia fans? They really handle some abuse quite well. My orchids like some occasional abuse as well. As for my garden, which I am so blessed to have, my plants are healthy and strong. I harvest at least 10 zucchini a week, I have fresh herbs with most meals, and I HAVE CORN!!! So excited. I really neglected my garden at first, only watering, not bothering to pull weeds and fertilize. Now I am loving on my garden and the rewards are amazing! In a time where fresh food is scarce, I have no worries about my next meal. On that note...
    11. I cook for myself and my family all the time- I don't waste a thing from my garden and incorporate all the food into my cooking. I make a killer Sunday sauce with the zucchini. I pretty much do everything with zucchini. I love cooking at home, honestly don't even care for eating out that much. Fresh food is such a blessing.
    12. I love on my animals- I spend so much time among my chickens and dogs. I even have a favourite chicken who follows me around my yard called Lapita. She is my best friend at times. She even lets me pet her. My dogs have also been such a blessing. I feel like my relationship with my sister's dog is so much better too... She used to drive me crazy, and now we take walks and naps together. Animals are a great therapy tool and awesome companionship. It's amazing how sentient my chickens are too. They literally look me right in the eyes and treat me like I am one of them.
    13. I keep things a lot cleaner- From my bedroom to my car... Things are pretty much spotless all the time. I can't handle disorganization and messy things. I used to just sit in the mess and be okay with it... Now it makes me insane. I have developed a new appreciation for my things. I don't own a lot, but the things I do have matter.

I can't think of anything else right now...
    What has changed for you?

zeusmx and The emperor like this.
  2. lbja2

lbja2 Fapstronaut

3. lbja2

lbja2 Fapstronaut