1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Weightlifting

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by selecues, Jun 14, 2015.

1. selecues

selecues Fapstronaut

Okay so im looking into getting a home gym kind of setup. Any recomendations on what i shld buy I am willing to spend $ 700. Im not new at weightlifting im 17 weigh 130 bench 145 squat 250

2. NetRang3r

NetRang3r Fapstronaut

if you got the space you should invest in a rack and a bench, that way you can bench/squat/shoulder press/pull-ups. anything else (curls/skull crushers, etc, etc) just need a different bar. and I would recommend investing in a Olympic bar and Olympic plates. if you're resourceful you should be able to get all the above for ~$700

devhuman likes this.
  3. selecues

selecues Fapstronaut

4. Phibz

Phibz Fapstronaut

Mirrors are a good investment. I found some really big ones at my local Habitat for Humanity very reasonable.

5. Phibz

Phibz Fapstronaut

I lift heavy and I've been collecting weight and equipment for a while. You can save a lot of money buying used equipment on craigslist. One of my favorite benches was bought at a pawn shop. I bought a nice squat rack off a friend having legal issues. And I picked up a leg press machine from a fire dept that was remodeling their gym. $800 machine for $300. Dumbells are awesome, but can be expensive new.

Kenji likes this.
  6. devhuman

devhuman Fapstronaut

Yeah... I'd buy quality pro gear, but used. A simple rack with adjustable rack points and has or can mount a pull up bar (dip bars would be a bonus). An adjustable bench. Olympic bar with plates. You could get a hell of a workout with just that. Then, get dumbbells. Yeah... dumbbells are expensive, but only buy what you need, then add as you grow. The lightest DB I use right now is 25 lbs and the heaviest is 55 lbs. In my routine, really... I only need 25, 40, and 55 lb DB's. Mind you... in 2 weeks, I'll probably need 30, 45, and 55's, but I can add as I go. Again... used.

From there, you can add anything extra as you seem fit. Maybe a universal EZ Bar which use the same plates. Jump Rope. Medicine balls. Boxes. But... those are just extras. Not needed.

7. Kenji

Kenji Guest

Who needs weights when you have a floor and a body? Heck maybe throw in a pull up bar of some kind, parallel bars, and rings, and olympic gymnast level functional muscle here we come!

I love weights (compound moves only) too though just sayin,

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
  8. Kenji

Kenji Guest

Cool man will have to check my local HH I've been in need of cheap mirrors unrelated to weightlifting, good stuff!