1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

how do i free myself from an "easy" mentality

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by ahighertruth, Jul 27, 2020.

1. ahighertruth

ahighertruth Fapstronaut

A lot of times I try to find the easiest way to do things. This has been a really bad issue with myself, because it makes working hard seem difficult to do. How do I free myself from this mentality? Most of it was probably because my parents do/did everything for me. I know I need to move out but currently I am not in a financial situation too. Please help, I want to work hard at things but my brain won't let me.

FeelDark likes this.
  2. This made me pause and reflect. Because in my mind all there was is "difficult things" and "easy things". What you mean is essentially the same as the concept of giving your best/ not giving your best at a task, right?!

Because finding the easiest way/path is in some areas, the academic/intellectual fields like computer tasks, mathematics etc. actually the trait that makes one comprehend and succeed, isn't it.

Hmm, I think some tasks on one's to-do list, one can make easier on himself to get done with excellence by adding the social element, for example for sports going to gym. Everybody is doing the task, your mind constantly receives (visual) reminders of the task you wanted to do. So in this regard, I think the time where you (and I myself too) really need willpower is choosing to pack your bag and get to the gym, once you are there there is only one thing you can do anyways.

Working out at home was more of a struggle for me, but interestingly I discovered what's helping me is that my home bike has an inherent program, it always plays a short tune after certain minutes. So it's slowly conditioning my mind to keep going until the tune of celebration starts playing. Almost like crossing the finish line haha.

I know with other things it can be different. I'm struggling too bro. Especially with sitting down and studying.

FeelDark likes this.
  3. MusicMakingMonk

MusicMakingMonk Fapstronaut

Start listening to the Jocko Willink podcast, he's a former military commander who uses his knowledge of human nature in the act of war to teach about leadership in business and in life. He has a concept called "extreme ownership", a book called "discipline equals freedom", and he references and uses this knowledge quite often in his podcasts. Once you understand the mindset of someone who NEVER does the easiest thing, someone that is basically the hardest, baddest dude that is around, you try to emulate that in your own life. Listen, take notes, apply.

4. Don't work hard, work smart. There's nothing wrong with finding the easiest way to do things. It's easier and more efficient to lift up a crate with a forklift than with manual labour. However, if there is no easy way to do something, then you have to suck it up and do whatever it takes to accomplish it.

5. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

It's not always right - working hard and smart together is right.
    I understand what you mean though, for example a person that has a job which doesn't require hard work to get to, but the job itself might be easy/difficult but not worth the money. However it seems like you are defending him because you don't like to work hard, I know it sounds like judgement because it is, correct me if I'm wrong. Sounds you really like the easy way Don't get offended.. I don't want the OP to listen to your opinion, being totally honest because he is looking to be toughening his mentality and that's not the mindset.
    To the OP -
    Read "can't hurt me" by David goggins. This book helped me push beyond my limits, and make me understand that life is just a game. Don't look for the easy way, the enemies in your mind will keep hitting you, f*CK being soft. Stop thinking of being average either, and thoughts like "it's not for you" "you are too weak for this" don't let your mind take control, you gotta overcome this things, and you'll be likely to be tougher and you will see the difference. Each time my mind told me I shouldn't go for a run to ease on me, I'll do that. Each time I felt like anything is uncomfortable I'd do that.
    "Get comfortable getting uncomfortable"
    Now if you are going to just think about it and not do anything your mind will shake you more and more. There's no better person in the world that can help on that case than David goggins, read his book, I can talk about it all day which is why I will just suggest reading it.

6. I probably should've said "efficient" instead of "easier". I did say "However, if there is no easy way to do something, then you have to suck it up and do whatever it takes to accomplish it." This definitely applies to the topic of building mental toughness. There really is no easy way to build mental toughness as you're pretty much required to push beyond your limits. I don't like the easiest way, I like the most efficient way.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2020
    AlphaGod likes this.