1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Sugars, caffeine, dairy, gluten.

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by User55, May 12, 2020.

1. BruceD

BruceD Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I am trying to cut back on caffeine as well. I used to be a pot of coffee a day easy. Now I put back a half pot, which is still too much. Got the day off today, plan on being productive, go for a walk/job, clean my apartment, watch some movies.

As far as junk food User55, do what you want for sure. Maybe keep a diary or note what goes on in your body after eating junk. Candy and pizza are fun as hell to eat but I pay for it later. Listen to your body.

Chris_Cactusblossom likes this.
  2. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

I might not have phrased it clearly but what I did in fact mean was following:
    Having junk-food once in a while or rarely won't affect your reboot-process considerably but if you eat it daily for a few days in a row (or more), it will of course affect your reboot as I have experienced the effects of it myself.
    Especially sugar and gluten containing junk-food (like an ice-cream waffle cone, most beers, swiss-rolls, cookies, cakes and pastries of various sorts) combined will have a big impact on your psyche, mind and thoughts for sure.
    They should just be very occasional and special treats and nothing you consume daily.

jaybelgium and BruceD like this.
  3. Angus McGyver

Luckily, I have never been able to tolerate more than two cups of coffee in a day since that makes me shaky (not in a good way), glassy-eyed, getting a bad breath and makes my stomach hurt due to all the extra acid. I notice that some days when I don't drink it at all, everything feels so crystal clear and relaxed which is why I try to have at least a coffe-free day per week.
    Sometimes, I try to substitute it for some tasty tea instead. Usually of the more expensive and flavorful kind which is usually worth its price.
    One thing I have noticed is that folks who drink several cups a day are usually not the healthiest overall (especially with regards to dental health) and are many times struggling with other kinds of cravings as well.

In my home country (Sweden), I notice that a lot of coffee-addicts tend to use snus (a kind of spit-tobacco) over-consume sweets (such as pastries, cookies and cakes) and alcohol as well. I only know of a few people who just overconsume coffee but nothing else.
    I do enjoy a pizza once in a while as well and in most of Europe, they are not as unhealthy, over-filling (and stuffed with junk) like they can be in North America so I don't feel as bad when enjoying a pizza over here. I remember the last time I ate a NY-style pizza in New York and felt bloated and constipated for 2-3 days afterwards. I probably don't want to know all the junk, additives and preservatives that was in that pizza.

BruceD likes this.
  4. BruceD

BruceD Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I am staring with small goals for now. I actually indulged in some ice cream and some other sweets over the weekend. Thankfully I manage to avoid the temptation of peeking at stuff. However, it makes it harder for sure. Getting back on the train and keeping carbs low, eating real food!

5. redapplecigz

redapplecigz Fapstronaut

I believe sugar and alcohol is a huge trigger. It’s best to stay away from that garbage.

stay away from gluten and dairy too. I don’t know if gluten and dairy are triggers or not...but they definitely aren’t good for you.

BruceD likes this.
  6. User55

User55 Fapstronaut

I cannot stay away from gluten and dairy it’s a part of my diet

7. BruceD

BruceD Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I do have small amounts of dairy- a little cream or half/half in coffee but that's pretty much it. Cheese every once in a while.
    It's really sugar and gluten for me.

8. Imwithyoum8

Imwithyoum8 Fapstronaut

I just read this whole forum lol and made my mind up to quit bread xD.
    So instead of bread and wheat products do you just stick to non-processed foods for your diet? E.g: veggies and fruits, fish etc...

Angus McGyver likes this.
  9. Angus McGyver

I am quite ambivalent regarding dairy actually.
    I do consider dairy as quite healthy and nutritious foods overall, but only as long as the dairy is whole fat and of good quality (like organic dairy products). There are lots of skim-milk and reduced-fat dairy products that you should avoid like the plague since they often have replaced the healthy saturated fats with artificial sweeteners and additives that are foreign to the human body.
    Also, avoid the big brands' products since they are usually filled with junk (sweeteners, additives, preservatives, etc) that will make you sick in the long run, plus their animal-keeping is unethical and disgusting overall.

Try instead to buy dairy from small organic farms if possible. They might be more costly but they will also contain more nutrients, taste better and the dairy-cows will be treated a lot better on their farms than they ever will at a large scale-agricultural factory-farm.
    I know it is almost impossible to completely avoid wheat gluten in many parts of the world today, but try at least to keep it to a minimum and avoid it if you have the chance to do so. There are also gluten-free recipes available on the internet if you want to be very serious about it and try making your own gluten-free versions of the bread/crackers.
    But, I totally understand that it is also a question about money and comfort as well since many of the gluten-free flours can be quite expensive.

I know that sugary-foods are very hard to abstain from but if you get into the habit of IM-fasting, you will see and feel hugely reduced cravings for sugar and junk-foods with time, guaranteed. That's at least how I tackled my former gluttonous habits and cravings for pastries, cookies, cakes, and chocolates.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    BruceD likes this.
  10. Angus McGyver

Yes, I mostly stick with whole non-processed foods for my diet. Especially some high quality meats (steaks, red-meat, hams, chicken, sausages, liver-paste, etc), fish/seafood, whole fat organic dairy (cheese, some milk, cream, sour-cream, butter, etc), green leafy vegetables, cabbage, pickled veggies, avocados, nuts, seeds and some fruits. I do eat some brown-rice, bulgur, potatoes and quinoa once in a while as a side but that's only 1-3 times per week at most.

Be a little careful and moderate with some veggies and fruits though, as many of them contain a lot of sugar in the form of starches (bananas, oranges, beets, carrots, potatoes) which are insulin-and blood-sugar spiking overall.
    Amongst animal-foods, the inside organs are very nutritious and filled with vitamins and minerals and should be eaten rather than meat if you had the choice between the two. Not that high-quality meats are deprived of nutrients nor unhealthy for you, but the organs have a higher nutrient-density for sure.
    If you really want some bread once in a while, I suggest making a loaf of a wheat-free breads that are made up of cottage-cheese, eggs, nuts, seeds and almond-flour (for example).
    One slice will feel so satiating and filling that you won't need more than one per meal. I have made a few of those breads and one loaf does easily last a week for me since I am only eating one big meal per day.

11. redapplecigz

redapplecigz Fapstronaut

Then take it out. you don’t need the kind of garbage bro. Fuel your body with some healthy stuff.

Dairy is not good for humans. Did you know humans are the only species to drink milk after infancy?

Gluten is also bad. Yeah sure, gluten free foods might be more expensive in some cases but it’s worth it.

12. User55

User55 Fapstronaut

Is there any scientific evidence on what you are saying ?

13. I cut sugar from my diet. Well, I ate few popsicles 2 weeks ago, and I felt something like poison entered my body. Before the popsicles, Icut icecreams, soft and energy drinks, and candy from my diet for weeks. I saw benefits.

Never will I consume sugar. :emoji_clap:

14. Angus McGyver

All of those sugary-products, whether they contain artificial sweeteners or not, are literally poison!
    Apart from the sugars, they are stuffed with chemicals of various kind that will just make you weak and lower your T-levels. Plus, cancer-cells grow the fastest if they are fed sugars. That's why ketogenic foods and fasting will literally starve them.
    I am consuming very little sugars nowadays and noticed that I got very sweet-sensitive after a few months on this low-sugar diet. Nowadays, I can barely eat ice-cream or jam since they taste too sweet. Although, it is unfortunately impossible to completely avoid sugars these days since they have sneaked it into so many products but I always try to keep it as low as possible.

I noticed that sugar together with coffee is especially hazardous and hence one reason as to why I don't drink coffee anymore. That black devil of a drink made me into a horrible person, especially if drunk together with cookies, muffins, cake or something sweet.

BruceD and Phast like this.
  15. Sugar sneaked into many products. I agree.

My life right now is Nofap and Nosugar

Angus McGyver, BruceD and Timecop like this.
  16. BruceD

BruceD Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Amen on the sugary foods going together with coffee. They taste heavenly at first but the crash is no fun a few hours later. Then you want more...we know the cycle. I do IF with just coffee-a bit of liquid stevia and a little half/half.

17. markoset

markoset New Fapstronaut

Hey
    An organic complex protein is called gluten. This element is a component of many plants in the cereal family. Due to its ability to trap the carbon dioxide generated by the yeast, it provides the dough with a rise. This quality of gluten has provided it with a wide range of applications in the manufacture of various products. It not only gives tenderness to the structure of the product, but also adds a pleasant taste.

18. Angus McGyver

It's a good start but the best is of course to abstain from the coffee altogether (and keep the tea to a minimum a well). No words can describe how much better your life will be without it.

BruceD likes this.
  19. Angus McGyver

Mine is currently NoFap, NoSugar, NoCaff, NoWheat, and NoLectins. Although I can't completely eliminate the latter four, I can at least do myself a favor and keep them to an absolute minimum. I have noticed that the most lectin-heavy foods (beans, whole tomatoes, peanuts and cashews) give me bloating and irritated bowels if not boiled, broiled or soaked prior to consumption.
    That means I have to give up raw peanuts and peanut-butter completely. Those are actually two of the worst foods you can eat for your gut-health, due to their heavy lectin-content.

Phast likes this.
  20. Urbancottage30

Urbancottage30 Fapstronaut

What I do is cut all dairy from my diet. I also eliminated flouride by drinking only bottled water and using a homemade toothpaste. The only way eating junk food makes sense is if you are in a desert but for some reason there is only junk food to eat. If you find yourself on civilization : Don't do that to yourself and loved ones. Feel free to use honey and to eat fruit for your sugar cravings. I even eat pasta(gluten)almost every day without feeling ill like I used to. All my life I suffered from a subclinical allergy to lactose,but simply eliminating dairy has cleared brain fog and lethargy away. Nofap is an added bonus. Supplements: Turmeric,fish oil,zinc,glucosamine,magnesium and zinc.