1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2020 Book Club Thread Strikes Back!

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by aspiringwriter1997, Aug 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. So I have been talking with @AtomicTango lately and discovered his book club post that he posted earlier this year and so after some replies, I decided to make a new thread to help keep track of and to hopefully bring more people aboard, hence why the hilarious title is above.

I am going to re-post the books I have read below and if there is enough interest, provide a brief summary and analysis of what I have read up to this point. So please, feel free to join and comment on the many books we are turning to because of the pandemic and uncertain times we are facing at the moment.

Books I Have Finished or Read in 2020 (So Far):

The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim (began in July 2019)

If Not Winter, Fragments of Sappho
    by Anne Carson

A History of the World in Six Glasses
    by Tom Standage

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
    by Susanne Collins (current read)

2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

This year has been a busy one for books, I have read a lot and the year is only just halfway over. The books/comics I have read since I updated the last thread are:

Dead Space: Salvage: Antony Johnston.
    Tiny Deaths: Robert Shearman.
    Suttree: Cormac McCarthy.
    We Have Always Lived In The Castle: Shirley Jackson.
    80 years of The Flash: Various.
    Norwegian Wood: Haruki Murakami.
    Stranger in a Strange Land: Robert Heinlen.
    The Rules of Attraction: Bret Easton Ellis.
    Confessions of a Mask: Yukio Mishima.
    DC: The New Frontier: Darwyn Cooke.
    Best Served Cold: Joe Abercrombie.
    Fight Club: Chuck Palahniuk.
    Butchers Crossing: John Williams.
    Animal Man Book One: Grant Morrison.
    The Forever War: Joe Haldeman.
    The Room: Hubert Selby Junior.
    Superman for All Seasons: Jeph Loeb.
    Children of Ruin: Adrian Tchaikovsky.
    The Hobbit: J.R.R. Tolkien.
    Flannery O'Connor: Complete Stories: Flannery O'Connor.
    Ringworld: Larry Niven.

If anyone wants me to go into detail on any specific titles mentioned I will do.

3. Woah, you read a lot more than what I do! What is your secret to reading so many books?

AtomicTango likes this.
  4. What about that Murakami? In one interview he said something like it's his crappiest book and that he doesn't get why people like it.

AtomicTango likes this.
  5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

The only other Murakami book I have read is Kafka on the Shore, and I definitely liked that more, but I still liked Norwegian Wood a lot.

Ghost in the Shell likes this.
  6. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I'm mainly able to read so much because I have so much free time, and I try to be disciplined with my reading, setting aside time to read every day even if I dont really feel like it. I've always been a fast reader, it just took me a while to get back into the swing of things after spending literally years reading nothing at all. I also consider reading to be the main way I get inspired to write my own stuff (along with listening to music weirdly enough,) so the more I read, the more I want to write, and the more I write, the more I want to read, and so on.

7. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

A few days ago, I finished reading the NIV (a Bible translation). I didn't like it very much. I've just started the NASB.

AtomicTango likes this.
  8. Well, you already know that I have college classes so I do not have as much of a luxury as you do so I have to read whenever I get a chance- which is mostly on the weekends. I aim to read 2 hours per week and am hoping to increase it to 4 when autumn comes around in a few short weeks. I used to be a fast reader and could read a book a week in 7th grade, but it takes me around 2 weeks at the least to read a book now in days. So it will take me a while to get back into the swing of things as well. I see what you mean since I have read a lot lately and I have been inspired a lot more frequently to write as well. What kind of music do you like to listen to?

AtomicTango likes this.

9. I just finished "The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes" today, and it feels so dark to me. My first time read such a villain origin story. What a fresh perspective ...

aspiringwriter1997 likes this.
  10. That is my current read. Did Susanne Collins do a good job on it?

Francis Lincoln likes this.
  11. Akeakua

Akeakua Fapstronaut

I am in complete agreement with Murakami tbh. It is one of the most disappointing reads I have ever picked up. And I love the Wild Sheep Chase series and Hard-Boiled Wonderland. I know I'm not in the target audience for Norwegian Wood, just too many sexual scenes, I hated the end.

Ghost in the Shell likes this.
  12. Akeakua

Akeakua Fapstronaut

This year I have been an inactive reader but this thread inspires me to pick up books more often.

I have read:

Most Likely to Succeed (Tony Wagner and Ted Dintersmith)

Unoffendable (Brent Hansen)

Break Free (Vladimir Savchuk)

Beast in the Shadows (Edogawa Ranpo)

Tattoo Murder Case (Akimitsu Takagi)

Out (Natsuo Kirino)

Body of Work (Christine Montross)

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down (Anne Fadiman)

Some of these reads were for college courses, some weren't but one things for sure.

I miss fiction. I am about halfway through A Confederacy of Dunces (John Kennedy Toole) and beginning The Overstory (Richard Powers). I should just stick to those two for now. Hope to at least have those on my list before this year's end.

13. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I listen to a lot of different genres, but mainly rock/metal, various types of electronic, and some jazz type stuff thrown in too.

14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Wild Sheep Chase is on my shelf to read sometime this year. I kinda get the impression people dont like Norwegian Wood because its not as surreal as the authors other works?

Akeakua likes this.
  15. CBook

CBook Fapstronaut

Interesting. When I browsed around online I got the impression that Norwegian Wood is onsidered a good entry book before going at the more surreal ones. I've already ordered it from my library so I might as well give it a go later this week, I can share my opinion afterwards.

AtomicTango likes this.
  16. Currently reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I watched the movie a couple of years ago before getting into reading. The book is narrated by death and beautifully written. It's about a girl named Liesel who is living with foster parents during Hitlers rise to power. It's a story of friendship, hardship, loss, thievery and of course the love of books. An easy book to read and as always, much better than the movie.

17. I love jazz music. It is one of the different music types that I will throw on whenever I am listening to something and want to get lost in my world for a few hours, whether it is through reading or writing. Not being on the metal and electronic stuff, but it is nice that you have a variety you can turn to.

I tried reading this book and it just did not interest me. I love what it said about how it was beautifully written and narrated from the point of view of death and plus, I have always been interested in the Nazi book burnings. Despite all of that, I could not get past the first few pages and I do not know why. I tried putting it away and coming back to it when I was older and everything but the book did not engage my attention. It is something I may not ever know, but it shows how for me, a book has to grasp my attention right away or I can not enjoy it despite my best efforts to get into it.

Deleted Account and AtomicTango like this.
  18. Where are my non fiction homies at?

19. I'm one.

Akeakua likes this.
  20. Akeakua

Akeakua Fapstronaut

That's true perhaps. Norwegian Wood has its merits, I understand some might take the sex to be
    more symbolic of life (choosing life/recovery over death/suffering) and a means of coping... I'm not completely onboard with its underlying philosophies, but other readers may relate more
    .The time and setting of the novel make it for an interesting study as well. If I were of that era perhaps I would get it a bit more. I personally enjoyed South of the Border, West of the Sun and Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki more than Norwegian Wood. Tsukuru has light surrealistic elements, but I enjoyed it becuase I see a little Tsukuru in me. South of the Border, I find the story, characters, character motives to be better written than Norwegian Wood.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020