1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Need to Get Hired

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by n7elite30, Aug 14, 2020.

1. n7elite30

n7elite30 Fapstronaut

Hey everybody. I've been on the job hunt for a while now and I'm finding it frustratingly difficult to get hired. I'm not necessarily looking for anything fancy, just something to pay rent and bills while I work toward a career elsewhere but I'm finding myself in a miserable gray area where I'm overqualified in my education for many easier jobs but lack the work experience or specific specialized degree to get considered elsewhere.

I don't know if I'm just looking in the wrong places, being too picky with where I apply, advertising myself poorly, or some combination of the three. I'm also having trouble being confident in my abilities because I've had some issues in the past with staying focused at work, which has led to reprimands and even getting fired or asked to resign. This makes me worried about making the same mistakes if I get jobs similar to where I've worked before.

I haven't seen an active thread about this sort of topic yet so I'm starting this one with the hopes that others can get their employment questions answered as well. Not only is a job important for providing for yourself and your family, but I personally think it's an excellent way to escape the temptation of PMO for those of us that are heavily triggered by boredom or being stuck at home.

ThePeakWae and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Arjuna's path

Arjuna's path Fapstronaut

Look, if I say that I'm going to the store to buy milk, is different than going to the store because I had fighted with my partner. It is more probable for me to end up in the park to take some fresh air than into the store, even though that I have to go back to my house and there's no more milk.

In conductual terms, you seem to be motivated by a scaping impulse rather than an accomplishing one.

Remember that I'm not saying that you don't need the job, neither that you don't have to pay your bills, I'm going to aski you: are those the only reasons that you want to get a job?. Is there any inner motivations? What kind of job can you offer to society? Why did you had focus problems?, or have you worked on them?.

3. n7elite30

n7elite30 Fapstronaut

No, those are certainly not the only reasons why I want a job. I want a job because I want to move out of my parents’ house and be able to provide for a family if I get one at some point. Escaping temptation is just an added bonus of having a job.

As for the focus problems, I have ADD so that contributes to the issue. I’ve been going to a counselor but I’ve also realized that I just have a personality that makes focusing difficult unless what I’m doing means something to me personally.

As for what kind of job I can offer society, that’s really the question, isn’t it? I like writing but I don’t have a degree in it or even a portfolio of work right now so who in their right mind would hire me? I like helping people through emotional problems but I don’t have a degree in psychology or counseling either. That’s the gist of my problem.

4. Arjuna's path

Hey, today I was scrolling through my Instagram and saw this guy who made this amazing texts. His account was pretty new and already had like 100 likes in each picture. Why don't you use the social networks too? I used to have a poems page in FB when I was a teenager, I rember that I ended up with 60/100 likes on each publications in less than a month.

5. n7elite30

n7elite30 Fapstronaut

That could work! I sincerely doubt my next job will be a lifelong career so that could be a way to build a portfolio for a career I really want while working a placeholder job in the meantime. I've been working on dusting off my Wordpress blog for my writing ideas as well.

6. Arjuna's path

If you have a couple of dollars you can promote your profile!. That will give you good audience.