1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

40 Days without Internet?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Fenix Rising, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Fenix Rising

Fenix Rising Fapstronaut

Has anyone of you tried 40 days internet fasting? I'm seriously consider starting experiment in September 1st after admitting to myself that I've become an internet junkie, constantly seeking for next news/YT clip worth watching since leaving PMO behind. I came to this idea after listening Cal Newport's podcast where he discusses what constant digital connection is doing to us. He proposed "30 days decluttering". I decided to go with 40, because 40 days is associated with transformation in many cultures and religions around the world.

I hate setting too many rules so the experiment has only one rule to follow:

1. No internet – under any circumstance for 40 days

I'm really scared what this experiment would do to my head, even more than I was of stopping PMO as I could still get my daily digital dopamine fix from news feeds, YT, games etc. Your thoughts on the experiment. Would you consider unplugging for 40 days yourself?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  2. Amendos

Amendos Fapstronaut

Generelly, I think this is a very good idea, since one can get better in touch with oneself. I actually would consider some additional regulations on stuff like watching TV and maybe even videogames - since they, too, include many triggers for dopamine release. But then again, you have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise you'll end up as a monk on some mountain (sometimes, this idea is quite appealing.. :-D )

I do have an organisatorial question, though: What about your job? There surely is some communication via email in it, isn't it? I cannot see any possible way to ditch out this part of the internet.
    Otherwise: I wish you the best of endurance in the beginning, and clear reflections once you see the first changes and effects of changed environment!
    I also would like to ask to you take some notes on a regular basis and report about it! I am very curious on the effects of "digital toxins" and would absolutely love to read about some first hand experience!

3. liveclean

liveclean Fapstronaut

I'd love to but my job is with computers and everything is on the internet so it wouldn't really be possible for me unless I gave up work.

4. UnitedWeStand

UnitedWeStand Fapstronaut

If you can to do it then do it! Its a wise choice but after this you need to learn how to live along with technology. You cant avoid that in your life unless you be a monk or sth

5. neverpolitcallycorrect

neverpolitcallycorrect Fapstronaut

I did that after i got into a argument with my internet provider over poor service really didnt miss it that much, found a better internet provider during those days so it worked out for the better

Melkhiresa and TheForsakeen like this.