1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

READING: Always have 3-5 new books lined up that you need to read.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by boyrose, Sep 7, 2020.

1. boyrose

boyrose Fapstronaut

I found doing this helpful. Just what the title says: always have some extra books at hand, lined up, ready to go, while you are currently working on one. In short, I found doing thit prevents me from wasting to much time on the computer (like on this nofap website), or other wasteful manners and gets me back to consuming knowledge and reading instead of being wasteful with my day.

If I’m just working on one book and I have no idea what I’m going to read next, then I found it’s easy to take my time with that one book because there is no deadline. But right now as I’m working on my current book, I also borrowed 2 books from a girl at work that I need to read and get back to her timely, plus I have another book requested from the library (which will have a deadline of when it needs to be returned when it arrives); so I’m on my toes with books that need to be read quickly and move on to the next one.

It’s actually kind of fun, knocking out 5 books in a month as apposed to just one book per month. Smart people tend to read at least one book per week (bill gates among many others).

Plus, all this time reading keeps me out of trouble on the computer, keeps my mind from wondering very much because it’s always either occupied with work, or reading, or the weight room at the gym, or cooking my next healthy meal.

Have several books lined up that you need to read and it will force you to zip through your current book...Many more books then we could ever read in a lifetime out there, let’s start reading more than we currently are.

And on a side note: THROW YOUR STUPID TV OUT THE WINDOW. I GIVE YOU PERMISSION, GO DO IT NOW.

Deleted Account and ANewFocus like this.
  2. Yes, and for those of us who are just beginning this journey of serious reading and seeking knowledge, I found out that it's all about having the type of books that are challenging but not too above your level, that's crucial. I got myself 6 rather short introductory books this year. And I managed to finish 5 of them because of that. The 6th one although 'introductory' is still too much for me. And that's okay, sometimes we need to get familiar with some technical terms before by route of watching a documentary etc.

ANewFocus likes this.
  3. ANewFocus

ANewFocus Fapstronaut

This is great advice. I do great when I have a spiritual book I’m focused on but when it’s over I relapse.