Anyone miss life before smartphones?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Kman20, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Der Drachenkönig

Der Drachenkönig Fapstronaut

Not really, i don't really feel there's much of a difference in my case. I do agree that smartphones have brought about their benefits and their problems.

2. Life is definitely more simple without a smart phone. Communication is important in the event of a disaster, so there’s that. I use the internet for when it’s needed. I’m limiting my social media use because I’m finding social media more of a waste of a time and a stain on my self improvement. I have seen people brainwashed by what they saw on social media (Ex: Politics and Conspiracy theories.) But, it’s interesting when you do limit your tech use and notice people and their tech addictions in public. Life before widespread tech was more simple and you had to interact with people to get social. Life after widespread tech is less simple and there is less social interaction (compared to the 20th century and 2000’s), but the positive thing is that you communicate with anyone across the globe and receive emergency alerts in a swift manner. So in a way, technology/smartphones is a double edged sword. A positive and a negative.

3. Things were simple because technology/social media wasn’t so widespread. Due to tech, mostly social media, we have lost the innocence to take chances and make mistakes, approach anyone in real life, because there is just so much information and opinion about how to do things, molded to our own tastes and preference, that in reality we are also constantly chasing perfection. Furthermore since we aren't taking chances and make mistakes, consequently we don't make mistakes, we don't learn much in life about the world and ourselves.

4. I don’t find life to be any different or worse at all. The only difference is that people have devices in their hands.

5. I totally agree. Life was way better before smartphones. Life was way more social (You basically had to, you were so bored by yourself). There are too many distractions these days. It’s better to turn it off and appreciate life.

6. It’s better to get off social media and limit your smartphone use anyway. I haven’t been on social media in 3 years and I don’t miss it at all.

7. lwyrup

lwyrup Fapstronaut

like hell

8. theMotivator

theMotivator Fapstronaut

I lived without a smartphone until I was 19 years old (1997 y.). I really enjoyed it. Now I own a smartphone, but I rarely use it anyways. I put it on the other side of the room so that I don't even see it. :D But i carry it out, because on really rare occasions you need to call for help (either for yourself or for others).

9. I just wanna go live in the woods with a small village nearby and I wanna make real relationships with those villagers and wanna marry a beautiful woman there. Just a small and simple life. Thats my dream.

10. Yes and no. There are some things I miss about pre-smartphone days and other things I don't miss. I think we tend to romanticize the past when faced with the pressing issues of the present and future. The biggest concerns I have with smartphones/apps/social media, deals with manipulation and a lack of privacy. We need laws to catchup to our technology so those issues can be dealt with.

11. My stupid opinion is that technology has caused as many problems as it solves.

For instance, if I add up the all the time I spend on technology that doesn't pay,

it's a lot. It takes time, money and effort to have and use technology.

But if I didn't have the technology, I wouldn't need to spend as much time, money and effort.

Deleted Account likes this.
  12. Yeah I get it.

My main problem is at night, I open up you tube to watch videos (not about sex).

But if there was no you tube, I wouldn't miss it.

But if I don't use it, and it does exist, then I have a problem because I want it.

Obviously I can't make it vanish. Even if you could, something else would replace it.

And I can't make it so that it never existed.

And I can't make myself not want it.

What a pickle...

13. I made a joke about that with my brother when we were watching t.v. He said "look at all of the things people built in ancient times" and I told him, thats what happens when there is no t.v. :emoji_joy:

14. I dip in and out of smartphone ownership. They were too much for me to handle for a while there, so I went back to old-fashioned brick phones, and it was great. I've got another smartphone, but I'm way more savvy now, and I go through each and every presumptuous setting and dumb that thing down till it does what I tell it, and doesn't presume to tell me what I will think, or write, or do.

Smartphones are only as smart as you allow them to be, you just have to be motivated enough to bend them to your own will and not be used by the tech giants that create them.

15. And also, more related to the OP - if it hadn't been for the internet, computers, phones, etc, I would never have learned to express myself in writing, and because no fucker spoke to me when I was young, it's actually the opposite scenario for me. Learning to interact with real humans has been a really painful experience - what you had with your brothers sounds really great, and you shouldn't take that for granted, or think everyone had it before technology came along. That's love you're talking about, and there have always been people who don't know how to give or receive it.

16. ¹I think it's more realistic and practical to hope for a future where the common man uses technology responsibly and as sparingly as his life allows than to lose oneself in the false comfort of nostalgia.

Stop dreaming of a better past and march towards a better future.

17. hahaha!

18. I think people would rather commit suicide by dopamine...

19. My friend, we all can quit social media. Nothing is impossible. Just keep trying and you will do it. And life will be so beautiful on the other side. Good luck :)

Chris_Cactusblossom likes this.
  20. matt2k12

matt2k12 Fapstronaut

you cant make yourself not want it, because you say to yourself that you cant make yourself not want it.

i say to myself: i can do anything i want.

in this particular case, i made myself do it.

the science behind it is very simple:

watching videos on youtube gives you pleasure.

watching regularly makes you used to this pleasure.

cut watching, and you will feel lack of pleasure.

at first this will feel really bad. you will want to have pleasure.

but if you dont succumb and show strength of will,

after two days, four days week, a week, you will get used to not having that pleasure,

it will be, as if you didnt even know it,

and hence you won't want it.

the longer you stay on the path, the less you will want it.

i speak from experience.

being addicted to substances, video games, youtube,

i know what it means to give it up,

and i know what suffering giving up entails,

but you have to bear it, sooner or later,

i'd advise later, because the debt you load on yourself will compound with time.

it's called media fasting.