1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Half Ass Living

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by unimportant, Sep 10, 2020.

1. unimportant

unimportant Fapstronaut

It feels like I'm in a murky swamp, trying to walk through the sludge like water. Every now and then I find a stick that I can hobble along with, then the stick breaks...

I've read that the longest most people can focus strongly is an average of 25 minutes, I find that to be untrue (as do many others) so I doubt the significance of whatever research led to that figure.

I tend to be able to give full focus for about 1hr 45m before I start losing track and needing to refocus (this is when I stop, as you don't tend to get as much out of whatever you're doing when that happens).

The issue I have is that I don't go back to the task, sometimes I'll do it a few days or even a couple weeks solid, about that 2 hrs a day. But I'd like to have a lifelong habit of doing this, preferably a couple times a day with varying tasks (learning, programming, what have you).

Most often I am half assing everything I do though... Anyone have any advice on how to overcome this seemingly natural state?

Asgardian36 and Deleted Account like this.
  2. Well then you're blessed because my average attention span is like 10 mins..

Asgardian36 likes this.
  3. I have ADD so I can relate.
    Are you doing things like smoking weed? That can mess things up.

Asgardian36 likes this.
  4. Srisurya

Srisurya Fapstronaut

Lol my attention span is just few seconds.

5. unimportant

unimportant Fapstronaut

I don't smoke weed and I quit social media, stopped carrying my phone, and stopped watching YouTube videos (though that has picked up a bit more before bed in the recent month or two) for a long time (phone 3 years, social media 3 1/2 years, YouTube 1 1/2 years).

May have to do with the increased attention span. Bare in mind, the 1:45 figure is when I am in deep focus, studying a topic, cleaning, etc.

I remember for a long time mine was even shorter than the 25 minute figure toted everywhere, it was like 5-15 depending on topic. If anything, guess it shows this is an aspect of the mind that can be improved like anything else.

Still would be interest in people's advice on this topic though. I wasted another day of my life today, wish I would have used it.

6. alphakadabro

alphakadabro Fapstronaut

What is distracting you? What do you indulge in as an escape? Do your drink, play video games, watch soccer, binge Netflix, etc?

The best thing is to fill your life with things that are difficult but meaningful. It might be that the tasks you are attemping don't feel meaningful enough. In which case, you should persuade yourself of their importance or do something deliberately hard for training. Most people say "cold showers!", but I prefer to say "Lift heavy. Play a sport or martial art. Do something crafty with your hands. Read and study books."

I think 2 hours at one task is fine, such as when studying a language. What happens after and before that? And what do you want it to be?

Asgardian36 likes this.
  7. unimportant

unimportant Fapstronaut

I tend to flip flop between binging streaming services and sitting around doing nothing. It is irritating, I don't feel a draw towards many things. The pandemic I think has lowered my mood quite a bit but even before this it was similar. Occasionally I do get a draw towards an exploratory goal like study (these I find most interesting) and go on a kick like I talked about.

What tends to happen is I forget the reason for doing it. That or the reason was never strong enough to begin with, and I can't rationalize why I should continue any more. It's like the stick breaks and I don't know how to put it back together so I trudge on in my little swamp.

It isn't that I get distracted frequently, it's that my attention is on activities that don't benefit me because I can't think up enough reason to do things that do. It almost equates the activity in my mind. It feels like you're given a choice. You're hungry, there are two pills, one is healthier in the long run so you notice very slight benefit now, but takes some more work to get (solve a small puzzle), or another which is instantly available and fills your stomach but is unhealthy.

My mind says "Well, for more work I can get a minor benefit, eh, why bother than?" I rationalize it by the sense that anything I am working towards has such a minor and insignificant benefit that it isn't even worth the effort.

Really do need help figuring this out.

Interests:
    * Programming
    * Research/Study
    * Non-profit Agency
    * Nature - Lesser

Asgardian36 and alphakadabro like this.
  8. alphakadabro

alphakadabro Fapstronaut

Have you had a blood panel to measure your hormones and other biometrics? Specifically, hypogonadism causes a host of issues like inattentiveness, loss of motivation and inability to focus.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  9. It sounds like you spend an awful lot of time sitting around, thinking about yourself. For me, that’s unproductive.

Have you tried getting a job? That helps.

10. unimportant

unimportant Fapstronaut

Have one. Thinking things through is productive to a point, the issue is concluding.

It seems almost impossible to firmly make a decision on how to act. People do things that take years, they don't stop, and in the end they produced something almost valueless to the world. I feel like if I conclude on doing something, it is almost guaranteed to be valueless to anyone else, and thus valueless to me.

11. unimportant

unimportant Fapstronaut

I'm poor, there's no chance of blood work (and especially not during a pandemic, no chance I'm going to a hospital). The symptoms of what you suggest don't line up in any way other than fatigue and depression, which are symptoms of thousands and thousands of ailments.

12. endthecycle90

endthecycle90 Fapstronaut

I know the feeling. I feel like I take 1 step forward and 10 steps back.

13. Yes. I would agree that is indeed vanity, and the biggest tragedy of it all is that they’ll one day wake up and realize that everything they’ve done is meaningless; a chasing after the wind.

But there is Hope. Ecclesiastes sums it up with this: 13 “The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.”

For a more detailed explanation of what that actually means, shoot me a PM - if you’d like to discuss.

14. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

The title of this thread matches how my dad lives his life.