1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is NoFap a bubble or is real life as harsh as it seems?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Austin88, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Austin88

Austin88 Fapstronaut

Hi

When I am on NoFap everyone is nice and decent, sometimes there are some bad apples but they can’t compare to the kind of asshats I’ve encountered in real life in my country Australia. So are people heartless in my country specifically or life is better in America? Or is this site like this a bubble? Are most of the people here from America? In Australia people are conniving and heartless, trying to make you feel helpless.

Example: when I was a kid, I went to the hairdressers for the first time in months and the hairdresser asked me what kind of haircut I’d like I pointed out a hairstyle in this magazine they showed me which I could barely see without glasses. Anyway they started cutting my hair and I didn’t like the way they were cutting it and I got shouted at “YOU TOLD ME TO CUT YOUR HAIR LIKE THIS. IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT THEN YOU CAN LEAVE AND DON’T COME BACK HERE”

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  2. Wow, and I thought that my country was bad. Damn man I didn't knew that australia was like that. I thought it was one of the nicest countries. Well I personally cant answer your question because its pretty complex. But I do hope things get better for you. Good Luck.

3. Austin88

Austin88 Fapstronaut

On the surface the people appear nice because it's all an act. If you say one thing that they don't like they remember it and immediately get revenge on you. If you offend them in some way they remember it their entire lives and stab you in the back at the worst moment for you and grin at you. I am sick of this country. No one has any morals or decency.

4. I personally dont know the things that you've gone through. But if you have tried again and again but are unable to change the people around you, then you should probably abandon them. That is what I'm gonna do next year. I'm gonna move to another country because I live in a very toxic and negative environment.

5. SoaringEagle

SoaringEagle Fapstronaut

Generally speaking an addiction forum is about support, so I presume on any such place you will find that people are more supportive than average.
    Give or take some percentage for various reasons, The same people you find on this forum are the same people you find on the streets. Albeit you are seeing a different aspect of them.

I haven't lived in Australia but I assume that the same heartlessness will be found everywhere in different forms. It's complicated why this is the case nowadays and many factors go into it but at the bottom of it, it's a spiritual problem where people think there is only the here and now and they take life as a survival of the fittest sort of thing, trying to do anything to stay alive and accumulate wealth even if it's at the expense of others.

While there have always been thieves, cheats, psychopaths, etc.. I have somewhat experienced some of the pre-technological societies so to speak, and things were different. For example if you can believe it, some business and trade were conducted on a man's word. Giving your word was sufficient as no trader could do business if he was found to break his word or lie about a verbal contract. And because people were more or less the same in terms of culture, customs and ideas. People could more easily communicate and there wasn't this intense feeling of loneliness that you experience in technological societies. But in big cities everyone is on his/her own so they can do whatever they want and be as rude as they want because no one will recognize them, but in smaller towns what you do matters because you are known all over the village.

AustinDPowers likes this.
  6. Yeah, I'm also from Australia and people can be serious assholes. There are nice folk here too but they are far and few. I remember a time when I was still a kid, maybe 14 or so at the swimming pool. I wanted to get a noodle from a nearby basket as I wasn't an experienced swimmer. There was an old woman there and I assumed anyone could borrow them as it belongs to the swimming centre not to her. When I grabbed it, I was yelled at by her "PUT THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!" I don't know why. She could've been polite, especially as I was still little, but no. I'm considering leaving this country as soon as I graduate. I don't feel like I belong sometimes.

7. eagle rising

eagle rising Fapstronaut

I believe that forums such as NoFap is brought about because of the harshness of modern day societies all over the world. If the vast majority of everyone were not brought up on this individualistic mentality I don't think that we would need forums such as this one.

I wonder if there were niches long ago before the advent of satellites and the growth of long-distance communication that served the same purpose that NoFap provides for us. At that time I think people had a much better sense of community.

An interesting question you have posed.

8. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

I'll agree with others who have said that by the nature of being a recovery forum NoFap will be more supportive. In general, people here have a common goal. Out there people are going different directions. Bubbles are everywhere. Bubbles of love, bubbles of hatred. The best thing we can do is to be as loving as we can and accept that we can only change ourselves and not other people.

There's a good chance that every community had its outcasts. Communities definitely would have been tighter as we did not have the ability to easily video chat with a person half way across the world. I won't say things were better or worse in the past, just different due to different lifestyles, priorities and technologies. Every advance comes with it's good and bad qualities.

We'll see how things go over the next 30-50 years as the internet becomes a more mature part of our societies and the children and grandchildren of today's children raise their own kids. Essentially we are still going through the learning curve of being increasingly connected.

9. It's a bubble. On here we're at our most vulnerable. Though the majority of us are hidden behind a username and a picture, we're still sharing a part of us that we really wouldn't want anyone else seeing and so you'll see people being "nicer" on here. You don't have to be judged and differentiated by your facial features, your physical build, the car you drive etc etc. All that superficial stuff doesnt matter here. Once you share those innermost parts you feel ashamed about and it turns out you have that thing in common with someone else, that's a pretty strong connection.
    Most people come here for resolution, which brings comfort. Most people walk through real life expect to be hurt.

In real life I'm sure a good number of guys on this very site are just like the average a**hole you run into on a daily.