1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Despite self development

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Sep 20, 2020.

1. This is exactly what I was doing when I was depressed. Until one day I looked back and saw all the great things I did despite thinking I am
    not good enough. I just needed to accept that I was already great from the moment that I decided to become better :)

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Depression 101 and how to beat it in 1 post

3. I know, I fell into the self help trap too. I ended up being in depression and mental breakdowns for months on end.

The Symbol of Hope likes this.
  4. I don't care if you believe in god or anything at all... Just trust me on this one. @Don Peter Clemenza believe these words.
    These are the words that I needed 2 years ago. These words describe the experience I made when I won against my depression.
    These are the words that I carry on and give those who need them. This right here is a huge gift. Embrace it

elevate likes this.
  5. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

It's not that your self improvement habits aren't good for you. It's the place it's coming from. Right now you're coming from the place of "I'm not good enough unless I do this and that..." It's coming from a place of self abuse and self hatred rather than from a place of self love and inspiration. You see women being attracted to you as something that's very difficult, heavy, serious, and takes a lot of effort. Rather than something that is natural and fun. That's why you're waiting around for something to happen rather than proactively going for what you want.

Don't assume that others won't be attracted to you. Making that decision for them is rejecting yourself and to protect yourself from taking risks and potential negative experiences. It's just another way to beat around the bush because you don't want to do what it takes. A lot of people would rather take freezing showers / deadlift 9999 lbs at the gym / read a thousand books / spend $99999999 on self help / get their bones broken in martial arts / etc than do the one thing they know would actually move them towards their goal.... talk to the girl....

Yes, you're going to get rejected and make lots of mistakes. Yes, it's going to hurt... That's how you get better at this.

6. Coolbreeze

Coolbreeze Fapstronaut

Self help habits can be good, but they should not be an obsession. Watching a video about how to improve your sleep pattern can be helpful but watching 20 consecutive videos about various self help subjects is more destructive than helpful. I talk from experience.

Consider the following; this guy wants to bigger, more muscular and have a more beard growth. What if he has all of those things? Will those things make him happy? Or will he want to be more muscular and taller because of the pictures he sees in Instagram?

Lower your expectations of yourself. We are all very average and it is normal to be average. You don't need to date the hottest chick in the gym with the best looking photos on social media. You don't need to be the tallest man in the gym, these are all lies and made up fantasies. Lower your expectations and you will be happy with what you got.