1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about religion.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Hey. Wanted to know, how you guys view religions.
    Do you think they are useless? Do you think there's more evil than good in them?
    How do you view books like Bible?
    Might as well leave my own thoughts later, just wanted to know what others got to say.

2. InappropriateUsername

InappropriateUsername Fapstronaut

I don’t knock it. Religion has done a lot of good and bad. The biggest problem I have with it is many often think only ONE religion’s beliefs/ideology is right and all others wrong. That’s when the shit gets bad.

3. Mo1989

Mo1989 Fapstronaut

I think religions are history. They did some good for a short time in the past but also due to easy manipulation many bad things have happened due to its exploitation. We have science and technology now to make smart decisions on how one should spend his/her life.

Gef.71 and Enulv like this.
  4. I find religion to be like a double edged sword. It has done some good and done some bad in the world. It just when the God said “this” game starts playing, things get argumentative. I don’t think one has to be religious to be a good person. There are good religious people and bad secular people as well as good secular people and bad religious people. It all comes down to the person and how they see their reality.

Deleted Account, Gef.71 and Enulv like this.
  5. From a christian perspective religion alone will get you nowhere. You'll spend your life trying to prove yourself to no gain and in an endless, fruitless quest to earn your own salvation. Religion is everywhere. It's in spiritual mysticism. It's in science. It's in the American Dream.
    Religion says bring a sacrifice or work for your shortcomings and you'll be saved. It's everywhere. Align your chakras and you'll reach some higher state of being. Technology evolution will allow us to cheat death by immortality through the digital. The American dream says as long as you work hard enough, you can overcome your poverty, your lack of education, etc. etc.
    Religion is everywhere and it. is. in. everything.
    Everyone believes in a god. And people make a God out of anything and everything. It's crazy to me that people dont see this.
    You wanna know who your god is? Lemme ask you this: who do you answer to, foremost? Who do you serve?

A relationship with God and Jesus Christ is different. As a Christian I believe that Jesus was the sacrifice who paid for my sins and through asking for forgiveness and repentance (a change of mind), I am redeemed and I get to enjoy a personal relationship with the creator of the universe.

The Bible is a Chronicle of events that leads up to the sacrifice of Jesus. Every single old testament prophecy pointed to Jesus and the new testament prophecies are proving His return.

Edit: accidentally hit post before I finished my reply

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2020
  6. I believe that only God that is in this life is your own self. Your soul, I mean. Don't make it dirty, don't spit on it and don't let others make it dirty, just don't.
    Personally I hate some things about religion cause they limit your freedom and it is wrong.
    Bible isn't that bad, it doesn't teach hate etc., but personally I like being absolutely free.
    Also, worst thing that has happened to religion is human beings. I understand that without humans there would be no religion, so yeah... Endless circle, makes no sense.
    But thing is, religion in it's core is not a bad thing if it gives you freedom, allows you to breathe the way you want to breathe. If there are no wars behind it.
    Killing in name of God is probably the stupidest shit I've ever heard, but it actually happened... Just mind-blowing level of stupidity.

Mo1989 likes this.
  7. Yeah that's what sucks. And I know what I'm about to say is controversial. But I just find it interesting that all the apex religious leaders (Pope, grand imam, etc.) Are coming together and preaching that they must unite. That's really interesting to me.
    The thing is, people have questions about religion but they dont really look into it.
    They don't know the history of religion and of how it can be traced back to ancient Babylon.
    This is not an attack on you, I'm sorry, just my own observations as this is a common thing.
    Like most people don't know that the word "Catholic" means "universal". And that the Pope is basically their God.
    They don't know that it is written in the Bible that jesus said "call no man rabbi or father" and he meant that. So why do the Catholics refer to their priests as father? Why do they think the priests have the power to forgive sin if Christ said "no man comes to the father except through me"?

Sorry. I just get bothered when people think Christianity = Catholicism or that it's like any other "religion". It's just....honestly..... I don't even think it's strange, at this point. People have a habit of not seeking answers for themselves they kind of just take face value information and run with it. That's how the Catholic system has over a billion people under their deception. To Catholics who read this, please don't be angry with me. If you do find this offensive, I humbly beg you to please get a KJB and read the four books of the gospel for yourself and pay attention to the words of Christ.

And I have a question for you; are you absolutely free? Do you really think that's true?

Enulv likes this.
  8. ndaty

ndaty Fapstronaut

(do u know Castielle?)

9. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

I strongly believe every religion, at least old religions, share the same core profound knowledge and they try to convey the message in very different ways, and this created fanatism and doctrines and all the conflict we see around them.

10. No, I've never heard of Castielle.

intso likes this.
  11. Yet there can only be one way that we all got here. There can’t be “many versions of truth”. We were either put here by an all-perfect Creator, or life on Earth, itself, is a byproduct of abiogenesis - which involves varying hypotheses on how it could have actually occurred. Both concepts of the Origins of Life require a tremendous amount of faith to accept as true.

To me, God’s account of creation in the book of Genesis would seem to make sense. Therefore, I would have no issue with making that known to anyone if it was brought up in discussion. I have never seen a rational discussion over creation escalate. I have had many.

intso likes this.
  12. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Why not both? And why has to be limited to those two options?
    Truth is truth, creation is fact, however you conceptualize it, there is where we get into discussion, because words would never be sufficient to talk about something beyond human rational capacity.

Genesis makes sense, but I would never take it in a literal way, even some Christian, I don't know wich doctrine (there are so many...) some try to connect both, like, yeah, evolution blablabla, that's god, that's genesis each day is not "a day" is eons, millenia, honestly, those people are in the right track in my opinion.

I would be more than happy to enjoy a conversation about the matter.

13. GhostRider@11

GhostRider@11 Fapstronaut

I follow Hindu religion.
    When I was 5 years old, I believed my religion, I thought all those stories were true, and believed that god will help me if I pray to him, then I started going to school and started doubting everything about religion - I somewhat became atheist.
    But 2 years ago, because of many incidents, I started reading religious books again, and this time it all made sense to me. I realized that it is the most advanced science that the world is trying to hide from us. There is a reason why they say to sleep in east direction, there is a reason why they say to follow brahmcharya(nofap), there is a reason why they say to control our senses, similarly for all those types of fasting, yoga, Ayurveda and meditation etc.
    And to understand the values they are trying to give through those religious stories, one need to read in between lines. Their is a moral for every incident in those stories. Most of the religious stories are true but still if you find a ancient story which is not true, still it is not useless because people don't remember a list of good rules, but if you append those rules in a story, then people will remember them.
    I think everyone should follow their religion, their might be some minute differences between all religions, but truly understanding any religion will definitely help you accelerate in life.

SickSicko and intso like this.
  14. I know I'm not free. But I'm on my way there. I just believe that religion is one of things that just takes away your freedom.

Gef.71 likes this.
  15. Agent

Agent Fapstronaut

I was into religion and churches before, but once i realized the doctrines they were teaching along with rituals that don't appear on the bible or anything i felt like quitting, but i didn't quit believing in Yahusha (Jesus) neither God, they were the ones giving me fuel to overcome this horrible addiction with PMO i faced since young age.

For a non believe i understand how confusing and how hard coming to Christ and God is but just know he will be always ready to receive you and help you like he did to me and keeps doing everyday.

Roady and intso like this.
  16. I believe Jesus died for our sins and that he is resurrected and is coming back. I see the bible as God's holy word. I think religion can be good if it's used properly. (People trying to better themselves etc.) I don't like when people use religion to try to manipulate people. I don't really care what religious group you subscribe to. I care about who Jesus is to you. I believe that science and God go hand in hand. Look at the mystery of black holes. Our understanding of space-time goes out the window when it comes to these things. Time slows when you get closer I understand that this is because of gravity but we don't know what goes on in the inside and might not ever know. My point is just because we don't understand something with our knowledge of science does not make it unscientific. What exists outside of our 5 senses? What lies beyond the fabric of our reality?
    People say that the big bang created the universe and as a Christian I agree. I believe that the "big bang" was God opening his mouth and speaking the universe into existence. I think that God placed each and everyone of us in our specific time and place for a reason. What are the odds that your spirit/soul are existing inside of your body. Anyone could have got your body. But you were placed in it. God has a purpose for our lives.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    intso likes this.
  17. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Let me ask you something, to all of you that treat God as a separate entity from yourself, have you ever tried to walk the path to get in touch with him, as many saints did? God is a part of ourselves,or rather, we are a part of God, but some people just completely lost connection with the Divine within themselves, or in better way to put it, the awareness of such connection is dormant.

Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? 1 Corinthias 3:16

Nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or ‘There!’ for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you. Luke 17:21

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own. 1 Corinthians 6:19

To go beyond what you call your body, to go beyond of what you call your mind, to go beyond of what you call yourself, that's the message of every religion, to awake the awareness of the divine.

Nathan Harris likes this.
  18. I rather believe that God is a part of me, than I'm part of God. It's like I don't have myself, I'm part of something. Like, I'm not an author, creator.

19. Lol why would you say that

20. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Forget about the word, God, are you part of universe? or is the universe a part of you? Or both at once? Who are you? What do you call yourself? Those are the big questions.