1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe the wierdest question on this forum

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by Cucurbito, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Cucurbito

Cucurbito Fapstronaut

Hi everyone! I have a question here. Since May 2020 I'm actively looking for a girlfriend. Currently I haven't found one and was rejected several times to be honest. But during summer I've had a date at least once a week. For a nerdy guy like me it's quite a solid result I suppose:emoji_grinning:. The only issue I have is that it's hard to balance my personal life with my work. Recently I was thinking about my mistakes and by accident came across the site about the horoscope and astrology in general. I was never interested in this stuff before. My question is, does this zodiac signs thing work in real life? Or is it some kind of a fairy tale?

2. p1n1983

p1n1983 Fapstronaut

I dated a girl for several months that was into that stuff. I don't believe in that stuff at all but I respect the other persons interests. In our first date she read me my birth chart and was accurate in 70% of the things she told me. It was really fun to do and was a good ice breaker. For me is the same as religion, I don't believe in it but there are a lot of people that believe in it and make them feel good and supported. if it makes you feel good without doing something crazy or negative or illegal, why not?
    So.. if you are interested give it a go a see what happens, at most if is doesn't result as you thought you just quit and that's it.

NF SINCE BIRTH and Cucurbito like this.
  3. Kramum

Kramum Fapstronaut

[​IMG]

4. rob13_

rob13_ Fapstronaut

It works as a conversation thing if the girls into it. But nah, stars don't predict how you are.

Cucurbito likes this.
  5. lyricalcolors

lyricalcolors Fapstronaut

Lol there's a reason why cold reads were a staple of pick-up artist routines: it's chick crack. Astrology holds no predictive power though. Hell, psychological science has barely found a working model of personality in the Big 5. Personality is just so ridiculously complex, how would being born in a particular month of the year define you more than your hugely varied number of personal experiences?

Cucurbito likes this.
  6. SynapticMagic

SynapticMagic Fapstronaut

It's called the Barnum Effect.

Essentially what happens is that you'll read your horoscope that is SPECIFICALLY tailored to YOUR birthday, thereby satisfying the little bitty narcissist that lives within us all and so we're more likely to value the information. It's like the half-joke/half-truth that everyone's favourite word is their own name.

Then, it'll tell us a bunch of general information, but because it's specifically made for us, we start to look back into our own lives for specific evidence that confirms what we're being told. Your horoscope says you've got a fiery personality? Well that's kind of true, you're the loudest person when you're with your friends...well yeah you guess you do have a fiery personality! Completely ignoring the fact that you're quiet in almost any other situation. That's how that kind of information works. If someone tells you to think of a pink elephant you're going to think of a pink elephant, rather than not thinking of a pink elephant. You're naturally going to think about times you had a fiery personality, not times you didn't have a fiery personality.

Where they really get you though is if you keep coming back to them. The more you read your horoscope, the more evidence you'll find to prove that the horoscope is actually right. What's more, you'll actually start basing your life and decisions off of what you learn from the horoscope, thereby directly creating new evidence that further confirms what the horoscope is telling you. Then you'll look back and say, "hey all this evidence!" without every realizing that it was the horoscope influencing your behaviour that caused you to act in ways that created that evidence. Over time, your entire personality becomes shaped by what the horoscope says and at that point the horoscope is predicting your behaviour because you've replaced your personality with the horoscope itself.

If you want to do that to yourself, then by all means, go ahead and do it. All a belief system does is allow humans to make sense of the world around them. Horoscopes do that quite well. Personally though, I'd like to create my own belief system based on the best facets of all belief systems rather than any one system and all the baggage with it come.

Cucurbito and lyricalcolors like this.
  7. I dont know anything about horoscopes but the celestial beings ( planets and stars) does affect us ever so slightly. The moon creates tides. The tides are crucial for life on earth. The tide wave doesnt only affect water in the ocean. It goes far up in the rivers and the fish can sense it. The full moon is affecting cycles of birth in animals. The turtles lay egg during full moon. More women make birth during the full moon. The full moon also caused insomnia in times when we didnt have electricy. That in turn made people turn insane. More people were murdered during full moons. They were the Lunatics ( Latin for moon madness). The moon tide also affects fluids in your body in a way science has yet to understand. The moon have the greatest power over life on earth in that sense but also the sun is very important to weather cycles, seasons and the bigger picture. The rest of the planets and stars affect us less. Jupiter and Saturn have a strong gravity but their effect on earth are small. All inn all, horoscopes are mostly wrong but the myth did come from somewhere. So did the myth about werewolfs. They shift skin during full moon. I think they are a symbol of what happened to people in ancient times when the moon made people into lunatics. In modern times the moon has less of an impact on us due to electricy. Now everyone are Lunatics.

8. SynapticMagic

SynapticMagic Fapstronaut