1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I the only one sh*t at swimming?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Industriilor, Sep 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Industriilor

Industriilor Fapstronaut

Okay so hear me out.

I'm 23, extremely fit and active and work out at the gym everyday of the week and run each morning for atleast 30 minuets. However, for whatever reason I struggle with swimming as if I'm completely out of shape.

I know the movements and techniques as I have learned how to swim. The issue is that I DO NOT FLOAT AT ALL.

Unless I am vigerously paddling, I sink! I can't lay on my back, I cant tread water lightly and when I try and do laps I get exhausted after one lap as I'm using all of my power to stay afloat. This is the only sport I've never been able to crack.

WTF? Am I the only one like this lol?

2. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

You need to learn to relax mate, either that or you are pure muscle ripped as hell and you sink like a rock anyways.

3. Industriilor

Industriilor Fapstronaut

I think maybe a combination of both... I weight 75KG with only 10% body fat so I am pretty muscle lean.

4. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Nah, with that body fat you should float just fine, you need to relax then.

5. Candun

Candun Fapstronaut

How often you swim makes a big difference too. I work out 6x a week and a couple of months ago I went swimming for the first time in years at a lake. I remembered all my moves when I hit the water, but goddamn it was beyond exhausting. Couldn't believe how bad my water cardio was lol.

6. Nope you're not the only one.

Back in 1985 when I was in Navy Boot Camp I had to do remedial swimming. That's where I finally learned to swim.

(A bunch of hardened Vietnam Vets yelling at you is a very strong motivator!)

I'm not a strong swimmer but I can swim well enough to have fun with friends and stay afloat for a long time if necessary. Maybe when the opportunity arises you can take a class? I know swim facilities are mostly closed now but maybe keep it in mind when they do open again.

7. Industriilor

Industriilor Fapstronaut

So I've actually had access to a private pool for two weeks and tried to get better at doing laps. I slowly have made progress but the no floating things exhausts me. The first swim had me nearly pass out lol.

I'll try and keep it up at the pool gym. For whatever reason I want to get good at this.

8. Industriilor

Industriilor Fapstronaut

I might do. I did classes throughout highschool so can have fun with friends in a pool/sea. However, doing laps as cardio is my goal. I'm in the U.K where facilities ate open so might give it a shot and get the all-clear that I just need to relax.

(or find a local war-vet to yell at me haha)

Deleted Account likes this.
  9. thinking_differently

thinking_differently Fapstronaut

It’s difficult to say anything without knowing a damn about how you swim,
    But I think You’re trying to go faster, rush through the water.
    Do you feel like you apply force, yet you don’t move forward?

I’ve felt that. I think it’s because you still need to Understand the delicateness of the technique. You’ve got a lot of power, nice!
    But without the proper technique a lot of your power is getting dissipated into overcoming viscosity, which is high because of an improper technique.

Good Luck!
    Stay aware, stay strong

10. Aléxandros

Aléxandros Fapstronaut

I have done this sport for 16 years. I started when I was a little child, so I just grew up in the water.
    It could be more difficult to a grown-up man to embrace this new world.
    But just wait, keep practising with the instructors, sports were made for humans, you are fit and active, why wouldn't you do it?

thinking_differently likes this.
  11. Industriilor

Industriilor Fapstronaut

I think you hit the nail on the head. I notice avid swimmers who do laps almost glide slowly on the water almost whereas I utilise (what I think) are the same techniques but in an aggressive manner as to avoid sinking.
    To put it into perspective, it feels physical like I'm sprinting with all I've got and others are walking casually.

I'm try and work on this and generally calm down. But not floating even when fully relaxed and on my back plays a part in the struggle I think.

thinking_differently likes this.
  12. Industriilor

Industriilor Fapstronaut

I'm 23 now and didn't really swim from the ages of 16-21. I'll give an instructor a go! Maybe a one-on-one!
    thanks!

Αλέξανδρος likes this.
  13. Mo1989

Mo1989 Fapstronaut

Maybe its the distribution of body mass around your body's centre of gravity on water that makes you sink and don't float but if your upper body has more mass you have no problems in floating you know your lungs carry air and that won't let you sink work on your upper body in gym and try to swim with stiffed legs moving only around hip joints

14. There are some good YouTube instructional videos on this.
    I swam badly for years but then started to re-learn (front crawl). I was just starting to do pretty well too but all the pools closed due to lockdown. I am really missing it.

15. Industriilor

Industriilor Fapstronaut

I use a body scanner at the gym and the bunk of my weight is in my legs due to running + squatting like hell.

Mo1989 likes this.
  16. Industriilor

Industriilor Fapstronaut

Thanks! Will give it a god!
    I was getting jealous of the old girls at my local pool doing better than me haha.

Gef.71 likes this.
  17. Mo1989

Mo1989 Fapstronaut

See thats the problem. U need to build more of your upper body mass, use your strong arms to crawl your way while floating.

18. Queek The HeadTakker

Queek The HeadTakker Fapstronaut

Im also shit at swimming, only learned when i was 18

19. I almost drowned because of this a month ago. I sink like a rock in water. Makes me think I should get fat again. Seriously I get winded easily, it was such a awakening that I started pushing myself with more cardio, as I don’t want to be that close to death again.

20. Mo1989

Mo1989 Fapstronaut

Guys try to build more upper body mass so that your centre of Gravity is close to your lungs where air is helps you stay afloat and then either use arms or legs or both to drive.