1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I the only one sh*t at swimming?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Industriilor, Sep 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. That doesn’t make any sense, muscle still sinks. now if you’re implying condition my upper body for more endurance, I see where you’re coming from

2. Mo1989

Mo1989 Fapstronaut

But see if you have more surface area you won't sink right and ofcourse the endurance will help you last longer

3. You don't know how to swim correctly dude. Judging by the comments, you put WAYYYY too much effort into not drowing instead of just going with the flow. You're not supposed to keep your head above water when doing laps; what you're supposed to do is follow a breathing pattern. Take three relaxed strokes with your head completely submerged and your body completely straight, then turn your neck and grab a small breath. Ideally, one goggle would still be underwater while the other is above when you turn for air. DO NOT MOVE YOUR ENTIRE TORSO to breath as it creates a lot of drag and slows you down tremendously. Best of luck.

4. Industriilor

Industriilor Fapstronaut

So guys! Today while at the gym/pool I had a word with two of the lifeguards about floating.
    They both immediately laughed at my worry and reassured me that not everyone floats on the water. In conclusion, it is perfectly natural and I just need to work on my technique while swimming. (Although, not floating does make swimming harder)
    Their conclusion what a variety of factors but mainly that is it due to fat/muscle percentage and distribution on the body. ( Bone density also plays a factor.)

According to an assessment I had today :
    I weight 75KG
    Muscle: 65KG (85.1%)
    Fat: 7.9KG (10.4%)

So in conclusion, not floating is incredibly common and depends on the body's makeup. I did a couple of guided laps with the guards and they said I have the overall technique but need to practice. My breaststroke is decent and I can do laps, but forward crawl is very weak.
    As some of you said, I need to R E L A X... hold more air in my lungs and also try to move with the water and not against it. Good news!

5. Industriilor

Industriilor Fapstronaut

Really sorry to hear about that mate. I also had a scare like that in the Red Sea... very traumatic.
    Try and work on it in a pool for now. Slowly slowly... Good luck!