1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you stop "rewarding" yourself with bad activities?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Nautica, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Nautica

Nautica Fapstronaut

For example, I tried doing different types of fasting but I would always break them because of my job. Intermittent fasting was one I really wanted to do to improve my discipline. You have an 8 hour eating window, than for the next 16 hours you don't eat.

Whenever I have a long tortourous day at work and I'm driving back home at 4:30am my mind will beg me to go to McDonald's, or some other food place and eat garbage. My ego will do a bunch of justifications such as "it's just one cheat day, you'll be fine!" "This won't ruin your discipline, you had a long hard day at work, you deserve to eat some junk food!" "You need to eat, you won't be able to get through the workday or sleep at night if you don't eat!"

Then there's times I'll walk into the break room at work and see all the candy and snacks on the wall and justify eating them because "eh, it's just one little snack and this job sucks, I'll be fine, it's a reward!"

My brain chemistry is so fucked. How do I fix this?

2. Set yourself up for success and bring dinner with you. I know it's difficult to prepare meals, but making yourself something simple like a turkey sandwich or chili the night before is do-able. Once you get used to doing this, you'll come to expect this and then it'll become normal.

As for breakrooms and McDonald's--- there's a saying which is apt: "our environment can determine whether we succeed or fail" , meaning if walking into the breakroom will likely result in you eating candy or junky food, then just don't go in there. Find another place to eat lunch. Same with McDonalds, just don't go in, because if you do you'll rationalize it because it's right where you are. Find another way home, preferably something that takes you past a health food store...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Nautica likes this.
  3. Nautica

Nautica Fapstronaut

Those are good ideas, I didn't even think about just not going into the breakroom, thanks!

RobbyGo36 likes this.
  4. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

Often the problem isn't the bad activity, it is why you want to do it in the first place. Doing the bad activity is just a symptom of something deeper. If you can understand and solve this deeper issue you wont feel the need to do the bad activity. Example: If you had a good sleep routine and good diet consisting of healthy and tasty foods you wouldn't feel the need to eat mcdonalds. Rather than working on discipline and resisting the urge to eat mcdonalds learn some new recipes and make sure you get proper sleep.

Eventually doing something rewarding will mean doing something that is good for you, not doing something that makes you feel good.

Nautica likes this.
  5. eagle rising

eagle rising Fapstronaut

For the very first time in my life a few weeks ago I went about 36 hours without food (two nights and one day). The headaches were bad at some 12 hours into it (I took some natural remedies for it), but I knew I had to continue because I needed it. The hunger was there about 24 hrs in but I kept going. When I started it I told myself that this is going to happen no matter how I feel. I made it out alive the final morning! And I seem to have developed a better mindset about eating. Not going without snacks is not as scary as I had it had been. My body felt relief, and mind stronger. It was quite amazing. I hope that this is motivation for you and your willingness to do intermittent fasting. Good luck!

Nautica likes this.
  6. Nautica

Nautica Fapstronaut

Thanks guys. I've been looking to much into the future rather than focusing on what matters in the present moment. Thinking to much about big career long term goals instead of first focusing on the things that are going to get me there.

Right now I look forward too going each and everyday without junk food, getting enough sleep, and working on my goals.

RobbyGo36 and eagle rising like this.
  7. eagle rising

eagle rising Fapstronaut

Yes! @Nautica. Lay the next brick down as perfectly as you can. Make it straight, level, square, and even. Then you won't have to worry about weaknesses in the structure that is your life.

Nautica likes this.