1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any good reason to get out of bed?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by BrighterFuture, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Ahiphena

Ahiphena Fapstronaut

Because if you're going to lay around pitying yourself, life is certainly meaningless. If you get up and keep pushing on, you might find some kind of meaning.

BrighterFuture likes this.
  2. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

I have my reasons. They are mine, not yours. Read your own post, there are plenty of reasons in there to get out of bed. Face things you are avoiding. Talking to your relatives about your addiction was awesome and bold. While your relatives may not understand you there is wisdom in their words (be it wisdom you do not see or wisdom they did not intend). In a way they are correct, don't worry about it. Instead, figure out what you are going to do about your life. Does figuring out what we are going to do in our life mean we are not going to worry? No, we will still worry. At the very least we can take to steps to not be lost in a sea of worry.

By the end of our life we'll have experienced many things and made many choices. All of that stuff will have been our life. I can not say with certainty what my life will be like in thirty years, what I can say is it won't be what I imagine today. There are many things in life we can not change. Focus on the things we can. The course of life will tell us what those things are.

The short of it, make some decisions and see where life goes. Make the decisions to find reasons to get out of bed.

3. BrighterFuture

BrighterFuture Fapstronaut

Jokes on you! my bed is already new. I'm trying right now look at life from different angles, the more I read and learn the more respect I get from any stranger really, P seems to be my only addiction and that's good! I mean I haven't lost myself like most drug addicts, I can still fix what I ruined and improve! I appreciate your reply.

Fixmybrain likes this.
  4. BrighterFuture

true, people whether they're family or stranger can really improve your mood! I remember that one day I felt like crap, so I decided to talk to 7 random contacts saved in my phone, after finishing each call I felt energetic and different, after all the calls were done I felt like I could climb a whole a mountain, it's something to think about. or even better, do!
    Thank you for the information brother.

Roady likes this.
  5. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

I live a fulfilling life. I enjoy most of the things I do throughout the day like weightlifing, playing guitar, skateboarding, cooking, seeing my friends and family, working, studying, reading, yoga, meditating.

Your post goes a bit deeper than this though. At some point you have to stop thinking and just start doing. It doesn't really matter if life is meaningless or you're a hypocrite. You are living, you may as well live the best you can. Stop overthinking shit and just get out of bed and do. Do things that you enjoy and that are good for you.

I dealt with these feelings of meaninglessness my whole life, they resurface very frequently. I just tell myself I am thinking too much. I write down a list of thing that I like doing or things that I want to do or areas of my life that I want to work on and stick it on my wall. If I ever feel bored or start thinking too much I just pick one of the things and do it.

Warwick, Roady and BrighterFuture like this.
  6. BrighterFuture

Yesterday actually, whenever I speak with a family member who I haven't seen in a long time, (1-2 years) they always say that they miss me, I keep hearing over and over again "oh please visit us whenever you can" the issue is that.. hmm... let's just say I decided to change our old family ritual without any explanation, and if they knew about my decision they will treat me differently, and start giving me long and boring lectures about what I should and shouldn't do. I know telling them won't help me one bit, so that's why I don't want to see any of them.... is that wrong though? am I begin self destructive? I really don't know.

Roady likes this.
  7. CH3RRY

CH3RRY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

8. BrighterFuture

I wrote my post after relapsing 3 times in row, I kinda over exaggerated some things, but it was because felt like nothing, I'm thankful I wrote it here in the forums, otherwise I could've taken a very wrong decision.

I do try to stop overthinking, but there's no reason for me to even
    move, I can't enjoy the things I like, here I will demonstrate it:

Things I like doing:
    - walking
    - going out with friends
    - going to the gym
    - seeing new places
    - sitting in a quite forest
    - having a pet
    - posting plant Information online

but now look at my issues with each one:

Things I like doing:
    - walking, can't enjoy it because of all the concrete and cars, it makes me anxious.
    - going out with friends, that's if I had any friends near by, only one.
    - going to the gym, I could get covid... no.
    - seeing new places, my car got crashed and looks pathetic, every time I open the driver door it make a loud noise, I hate this so much.
    - sitting in a quite forest, I live in the desert. trees hardly exist here.
    - having a pet, I can't settle in one place, college require me to move constantly.
    - posting plant Information online, I actually do this every week. can't do it more though because of college.

I hope it's clear now, my life is still livable without all those things, but I wish could enjoy some of them without needing money... not to mention external forces getting in my life changing it.

I appreciate your reply!

Roady likes this.
  9. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

Bro half your post is you trying to look for reasons as to why you can't be happy. Why don't you instead look for reasons to be happy. Heres a rebuttal:
    -walk at the park or a beach
    -make new friends
    -work out at home or a park
    -get your car fixed or get public transport
    -sit in a quiet desert instead
    -make friends with people with pets or pet someones dog you see on the street
    -do it as much as you can

Being happy is a choice. I can only speak of my experience with being depressed but I didn't think I deserved to be happy. Maybe you also think the same way. Once you start to see yourself as someone who deserves to be happy it becomes a lot easier.

10. broccoli_farmer_420

broccoli_farmer_420 New Fapstronaut

BRO i have been struggling with the exact same thing! i am depressed --> want to avoid life so sleep all day --> hate myself for it --> vicious cycle. i am suffering from my out of control selfish sex drive that makes me feel worse, my work efficiency is the lowest it ever has been. all this leads to no willpower to get out of bed in the morning, but the solution is to turn to something other than willpower

The other day i downloaded an alarm clock called Alarmy, and have been able to instantly get out of bed at 5:30 am three days in a row so far. You can choose a very loud alarm tone, and choose a task to perform to be able to turn the alarm off in the morning. I set it up so i have to walk to the kitchen and scan the barcode on a jar of instant coffee in order to stop the alarm, no snoozing, just an instant start to the day. Set it up when you are feeling more rational before bed, then your sluggish morning self has no choice to make. It's only been three days but i cannot recommend this app highly enough. motivation is a unicorn, but there are ways to improve depression that are purely practical. the physical and mental health benefits of getting out of bed at the same time of the morning every day are very well documented also.

11. BrighterFuture

I agree, I don't know why but without the people around me I tend to choose what worst for me, most of my decisions so far have been effecting me negatively, do you think I'm at the stage where I need therapy? don't want to admit it but I feel like I'm slowing becoming a dysfunctional human.

12. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

If you can afford it it would definitely be helpful

BrighterFuture likes this.
  13. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

When I notice I don't want to get up, and I have the day off, i.e. nothing planned, I like to put away my phone and whatever objects can busy my mind around my bed. Eventually I get bored and my mind finds something to do. Usually I feel compelled enough to do it, but if not, then fuck it I'll just stay down. My mind will keep coming up with shit, and eventually there's something I will want to do.

My point is, maybe you shouldn't think logically about this. Instead, remove stimulus and listen to your body instead.

14. Muphy

Muphy Fapstronaut

you'll spend hell good time there after death. so better spend this time in exploring, learning and meeting new people..

15. BrighterFuture

Thank you! I'm trying to listen to by body. in fact I decided days ago that I will add simple exercises (10 minutes) to my daily routine because my body really needs it at the moment.

16. josedelamuerte

josedelamuerte Fapstronaut

Not trying to set you up for another addiction or anything - but coffee. And if what you're drinking now is not enough to get you out of bed, you need better coffee. Also, there's this cereal here - it's cruncy on the outside, nougat on the inside. It's my guilty pleasure, costs a fortune, and it gets me out of bed the moment I think about it.

As for meditation - since you asked - it helps by bringing you out of the thinking mind and into the present moment, where thoughts, sensations, and emotions come, but (unlike when one is stuck in the mind) also go. If you're interested in getting started with meditation I'd recommend Headspace (lots of cute animations and very well laid out for a newbie - also, no hindu mantras, which have a way of scaring off some potential newcomers), or Alan Watts Teaches Meditation.

Good luck!

17. newstartolife

newstartolife Fapstronaut