1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a Next Gen Console

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by sparkywantsnoPMO, Sep 1, 2020.

1. sparkywantsnoPMO

sparkywantsnoPMO NoFap Moderator & Yeoman

TL;DR: should I get the next Xbox X or PS5?

I’ve been compelled to have gaming systems most of my life. First system was an Atari (don’t remember which model number), then an original Game Boy (first run with the display failure, SNES, bought an NES off a friend (yes, it was that order), N64, PS.

Since then, I’ve owned every console for each generation, however I don’t want to own them all this time around. Obviously whatever Nintendo system is out, I’ll get that because it’s a) usually not a direct competitor, b) they’ve got a lot of exclusives, and c) I have a daughter who loves it. That’ll be my secondary console.

PS2/Xbox - I loved PS2 for the Metal Gear Solid games that came out, but except for that, I was almost exclusively Xbox. Key features I liked was the hard drive (that was unique to them at the time) and the S-Type controller has always felt great in my hands. I think the wisdom is larger hands favor the PS controllers, smaller the Xbox, yes?

PS3/X360 - Again I went with Xbox here. PS3 controllers failed here with the poorly designed triggers, and the six-axis that was a gimmick. PS3 was mainly for MGS 4. If I recall, the installs were odd too. 360 was mainly everything I liked in the first one, just a little better.

PS4/Xbox One - Got both, decided to try playing the PS4 for my main system, and stuck with it. My XB1 has probably collected dust for three years. I did like the easy to upgrade hard drive on the PS4, I used VR for a while, but it’s collected dust for a year or so, and other than that it’s... fine. Loved Horizon: Zero Dawn and Spiderman exclusives (I do tend to like open world games, as they are time flexible). With XB1, I played some Forza Horizon early on, then got bored. I think I remember hating the interface when it had the Windows 8 style blocks.

———

So, what do y’all think for this time around? I don’t want both. Maybe, it’s possible I’ll get one, then halfway through the life cycle when they release the PS5.5 and the Series XX or whatever I might get the other one then, since I’ve never owned a midcycle console.

I do tend to enjoy RPGs, Adventures (especially open world), and some light racing, like Forza Horizon. Games to play with my daughter can be nice, and I’m concerned over PS5’s garish new controller. Controllers haven’t really changed since the PS2/Xbox era (not talking about Nintendo obviously; they generally just throw some controller parts in a blender then reinvent it next time) for a reason, so I’m not really sure why they’re doing it now.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Wow you got hard ignored on this one. I can't offer any advice here because I haven't used consoles in a while.

Metal Gear all the way!

sparkywantsnoPMO likes this.
  3. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I honestly dont think either console really looks like its going to be worth it, in the interest of saving money I would probably recommend just going back and playing games for your current systems that you missed. Thats what I'm planning on doing at least.

4. I have been asking myself the same question regarding the PS5/Xbox. I currently have both Xbox 1 and PS4 and I like both but I have noticed Sony does tend to push to get things earlier than Xbox. Performance wise, I feel the Sony has been a better experience but I hate their controller. The Xbox 1 has a nice feel to it.

At this point I have been thinking about scrapping console altogether in order to go full PC.

Sorry. I forgot to give an answer, lol. If I had to pick only one then I would go for the PS5 before the Xbox.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2020
  5. Personally I already have the PS4 so going for PS5 for retro compatibility and because the games I’m interested in are exclusive to it but mother of God is it fugly

6. So true, lol! The PS5 is like a pig in a tuxedo and the Xbox looks like a fridge! :emoji_joy:

7. sparkywantsnoPMO

Is this a sad state of affairs when Nintendo has the best looking exterior, or what?

That’s why I put an NES decal on my PS4.

8. Shadow™輝ツ

Shadow™輝ツ Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Its always been playstation for me, since i grew up with ps2 and ps3, so idc about xbox.
    And its all about games, if you want to get good games like spiderman, grand turismo and forbidden west, then go for ps5, its your choice, unless you love halo infinite and only want to play that on xbox lool. Ps5 looks futuristic while xbox looks like.. as he said

9. sparkywantsnoPMO

I very much appreciate your opinion on the exclusives. Sony has done a decent job with them.

I will have to respectfully disagree on the look. And maybe it’s because I’m almost 40 now (), but I would like a system that blends in with my entertainment center, not one that screams, (I know you can’t stand the sight of me, but you can’t look away either!). Also, the less symmetrical an object is, the more likely it is to bother me.

Shadow™輝ツ likes this.
  10. James Duncan Halpert

James Duncan Halpert Fapstronaut

Honestly for me, the PS5 sold me on the new DualShock controller they're making, plus I loved VR a lot on the PS4. I'm not sure on the Xbox, I've never owned one and besides my computer, I've just had an old broken Atari, a Wii/WiiU, and a Ps4.

Overall though the start of both consoles so far are underwhelming, the price tag won't be worth what they're asking especially since I'm not going to spend my rent money on entertainment... I mean when it drops in price and after a year or two the games aren't $70 new anymore it'll be worth it to me.

Foolish move to still go ahead with the release this year though, as they really should have pushed for next year when less people are close to being bankrupt currently from being out of work and all. lol

Though I'm sure a lot of Canadians will be buying it day one, with that insane amount of money the government was apparently handing out for months there.

11. Abzu

Abzu Fapstronaut

to be honest, i like it's looks, way better than the xbox

12. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

PC Master Race.

Abzu likes this.
  13. Abzu

Abzu Fapstronaut

yes, consoles are for peasants

14. sparkywantsnoPMO

I do still keep a PC for gaming, but in recent years, companies have pushed harder to optimize games for consoles.

15. Abzu

Abzu Fapstronaut

consoles optimization has always been significantly better than pc but that doesn't mean PC is inferior, it's just devs preferring the device that makes them more money. So many people on PC pirate games and that is not possible with newer consoles as security has been vastly enhanced. In my region, consoles are extremely overpriced and i don't see the point of them for purely gaming, i mean on pc you can do any kind of stuff and not just gaming.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  16. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I dont know where you live but its getting like that even in the UK. PS5 games are going to cost £10 more but will still gouge you on top of that with season passes, microtransactions etc. Sony charging full price for an improved port of Spiderman, a game that is only 2 years old, when games like Cyberpunk are getting the same improvements for free, is scandalous to me.

17. Abzu

Abzu Fapstronaut

I am from India, here the price of Xbox Series S is 35k INR (roughly 473$) and it's around 11k cheaper in UK, PS5 is also overpriced with around relatively same markup costing 40k for digital edition making it around 12k more expensive compared to US price.

18. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I had heard that console prices were even more extortionate in places outside of the West, and that is ridiculous. I can fully understand going with PC.

19. Achiever80

Achiever80 Fapstronaut

I am personally getting the Xbox Series X just because I have so many Xbox games rn that I want to transfer to the new console

20. sparkywantsnoPMO

I read an in depth article about this a while back. It appears the big AAA companies walked themselves into a corner. Today’s blockbuster games are a multi million dollar production, on par with major Hollywood movies. The last time game prices were raised from $50USD to $60USD was back around 2008 when the PS3 and XBox 360 came out. Costs went up, prices stayed the same since then, and until the XB1/PS4 era, used game companies like Gamestop really cut into sales for the companies. They did research and found that people didn’t want to spend $70USD per title. I don’t blame them necessarily. So they looked at ways to get the value another way. The problem is all the IAPs are baked in now, and they are charging $90-$100USD per game when you include the IAPs, though it’s still not what they would like.

But let’s be honest, how much better are games like remakes of CoD:MW, Madden version what 25, where all they change is the rosters and sell it to you again new, or I hate to say it but every recycled Nintendo title that’s had more resurrections than a Dark Souls player versus creative Indie titles like Among Us? I refuse to buy from EA, am generally skeptical of Activision, and avoid early access like the COVID because I want my money to go to worthy pieces of electronic art, not microwaved crud.