1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

To become a trucker? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Or will self driving trucks start taking over sooner than later? I’m already aware of the pros and cons but I’m determined, nonetheless. Is it still a good time to get into the business? Any words of advice or wisdom is appreciated.

2. I’ve heard that trucking can be a great career and is in high demand. Automation can never take over completely IMO and even so, it will be a long time ‘till then. I would encourage it!

ruso and Fixmybrain like this.
  3. ruso

ruso Fapstronaut

Even if automation takes over, there will still be a need for people, to review the automations mistakes, follow roads that AI will take too long to figure out, etc.

4. Agreed.

5. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

It’s not a super healthy career to take up. Sitting for hours on end and a lot of fast food.

Fixmybrain likes this.
  6. Depends where you are. There's a huge shortage in the UK since all the Europeans went home. It's good if you like your own company, and the pay isn't bad. You could even do the Ice Roads once you get some experience. ;o)

As for fast food, that's a silly comment.

You do spend a lot of time sitting on your ass, but there's nothing stopping you working out between shifts.

You might also travel abroad and get to meet a lot of different people, depending on how sociable you are.

I say do it and see - it's not expensive to train, and you'll find out pretty quickly whether or not you like it. In the meantime you can save money to move on with if you hate it.

7. As for self-driving trucks, there are hundreds of thousands of miles between you and them yet. Get driving!

Fixmybrain likes this.
  8. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

One thing folks forget to mention is someone must be in the cab, at least during the pilot of automation. This could be anywhere from years or even decades. The demand won't die out for a long time, but qualifications may change.

Fixmybrain likes this.
  9. Sitting still is the only guaranteed con I can think of atm (in my situation). I can go for a decent period of time without constant human interaction and already stay up late as it is. Also having fridges (if allowed) > fast food

Mistersofty and WOODROW like this.
  10. WOODROW

WOODROW Fapstronaut

It must be a great career. As for me I would love to hear the sound of the motor and press down on the gas pedel and brake with a big load to carry. Here in the New York + New Jersey areas regular drivers are horrendous. Central new Jersey--nasty truck accidents. Be nice to work with a like minded driver to do long distsnce.

Fixmybrain likes this.
  11. Heard it makes some potentially great money despite some of the stigmas that exist. I know what you mean, that movie Big Trouble Little China usually comes to mind

WOODROW likes this.
  12. WOODROW

WOODROW Fapstronaut

They need truckers all the time ! Here in staten island ny trucks bring in all our food. Truck driving much better outside the NYC area. In Pensylvsnia, very strict rules for car drivers, truckers have it better outside nyc. Must be awesome to drive a big rig---clutch, brake × accelerating down the highway @ 80 mph

13. Disadvantages are boredom and time+place demands - not a family friendly job. On the upside, it's well-paid (in Europe at least).

WOODROW likes this.
  14. WOODROW

WOODROW Fapstronaut

I would love to apply the clutch and gas and brake pedels of a big rig. Sounds of the engine !! Imagine the vibrations coming through the cab when you accelerate down the highway. Nice job if you have a decent coworker to travel with to share the driving and offset the boredom

15. SeaChange

SeaChange Fapstronaut

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/10/901110994/big-rigged

Planet Money (NPR's economics podcast) did a pretty good episode about some dangers when starting out in the trucking industry, namely big companies trying to tie you down with debt and then not paying you hoping that you'll quit and give your truck back to them. Don't get screwed over!