What are your thoughts on Ketogene Diet?

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by yupThat'sMe, Sep 2, 2020.

1. yupThat'sMe

yupThat'sMe Fapstronaut

Hi guys,

I recently stumbled upon Ketogene Diet. With this diet you try to limit your carb-intake strongly and you try to get most of your energy with fats (roughly 80%). Medium protein intake.

I sort of like the idea, and youtube videos that praise this diet make you wonder how you are still alive when eating carbs. Yet I am a bit sceptical aswell. What are your thoughts on this? Mostly I wonder about how practical this is - how can you eat enough fat to substain you without eating much too much protein?

I would not like to loose weight with this diet, as I am rather on the skinny side. I would attempt it for possible positive health effects and being more awake and concentrated (which are some positive effects this diet has according to some...).

Apperently, when you first switch from carbs to keto diet you have a transition time from 1 to 2 weeks, where it can be a bit rough. What happens if you eat too many carbs on one occasion while being on keto (for example going out eating with friends, drinking some beers,...) - does this put you off and you have again a whole week of transition or might you enter ketosis sooner, maybe the next day already?

I do a lot of sports aswell, so I guess I need a high caloric intake - does someone has experience with eating enough calories through fat alone? I would probably need to eat a whole bar of butter each day to keep up, or drink a glass of olive oil in the morning lol... (But please don't recommend classical bulk diets to me, did that already and hated it. Gaining weight is not that big of a priority)

Looking forward to hear from you ;)

palindromo likes this.
  2. Following it since 2 months. It's hard as hell but I lost 8kg

Also I would say it's more than easy to reach your calorie intake, fat is very caloric!

Also I didn't had the keto flu or transition period because I drank enormous amounts of water and also supplemented a lot with magnesium and himalayan salt!

yupThat'sMe and palindromo like this.
  3. palindromo

palindromo Fapstronaut

If you don't want lose fat , don't do it. It is an extreme diet not recommendable in the long term.
    Also it is not so healty to eat all those high amount of saturated fats. ( essentially for atherosclerosis )

Instead use a intermittent fasting , it produces keto bodies , what you want.

But listen to me very carefully, they are dangerous diets, it takes very little to make mistakes and damage your health.
    If you really want to try it go to a nutritionist, don't risk it.

Also there're not strong evidence studies about mental benefits of these diets ,
    there are studies on small samples, but understanding is still low

What is known is that people with metabolic alterations and mental degenerative diseases can benefit from it, but it is not your case.

dux_poenus and yupThat'sMe like this.
  4. yupThat'sMe

yupThat'sMe Fapstronaut

Thank you @Cirilla and @palindromo for your inputs! Over the last days I realized I would not be able to follow this diet anyway, as I don't want to be strict enough. And Palindromo, I think you spoke very reasonable. I won't try such a drastic measure for possibly, scientificaly not proven, benefits.

5. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

I can strongly recommend a ketogenic diet and even more a carnivorous diet (since most dairy products these days are pasteurized, processed and deprived of many of its nutrients). Despite eating a ketogenic diet myself, I am trying to slowly transition towards a more carnivorous one by avoiding unnecessary dairy-products of questionable quality like McDonald's shakes, massproduced ice-cream and shredded cheeses.
    Nowadays, I am only eating vegetables as a small side or use them while cooking traditional dishes (season-bound if possible) where they won't really be complete without them.
    Vegetables, fruits and most nuts should be consumed in utter moderation (if at all in some cases) since they are loaded with fibers and anti-nutrients that block the absorption of the more available nutrients you will find in meat, fish and organic eggs.

I do dare say that sugars, bread, grains and starches are totally unnecessary for human consumption (from a nutritional standpoint) since they are loaded with anti-nutrients, are heavily processed, have very few vitamins, they destroy your dental and digestive health, plus they are very addictive foods that are spiking your insulin levels, making you feel hungry and drained of energy much of the time. When I try to eat bread these days, my stomach gets bloated and shaky almost immediately upon ingestion and the next toilet-visit tells me right away that those are foods I shouldn't eat. I remember after eating a few slices of bread last week and literally within minutes upon digestion, I felt bloated and drained of energy.
    On the other hand, two eggs or slices of salmon made me feel energized, alive and alert right away. I can't imagine all the digestive issues, brain-fogs, and constant cravings vegans go through after a few years on a high carb diet. Just have a look at many of those popular Youtube-vegans: They all look fatigued, pale, deprived of nutrients and seem to have lots of psychological issues (probably due to the lack of cholesterol, A,D and B-vitamins in their diets):

By keeping the carbs at a minimum, you're doing your body a great service as you won't only save it from destructive anti-nutrients, you will also be feeding it what it really craves and needs. Don't worry too much about not getting enough energy as high quality meat, fatty fish, eggs, butter and cream are very nutrient-dense, bioavailable and energy dense foods that won't affect your insulin as well.
    Hence, you only need to eat one big meal a day and upon eating it, you will feel satiated for an entire day without a problem.

6. AlphaWolf1408

AlphaWolf1408 Fapstronaut

It's a fad diet like any other marketed diet. It works for weight-loss in the short-term but not necessarily fat-loss in the long-term.

Also, you still need to count your macros. The types of fats matter as well. You do come out of Ketosis if you have too many carbs in a short period of time and it then takes you longer to get back into it. The types of carbs you can have also matter. If you get only simple sugars, it will kick you out of ketosis faster. If you have complex carbs, you can eat a little more while staying in ketosis.

7. InTheWilderness

InTheWilderness Fapstronaut

Also heard that keto diet can decrease free testosterone, which is not a good thing for a man.

8. Red Eagle

Red Eagle Fapstronaut

Keto is extremely restrictive. It helps people lose weight by getting them into ketosis which supresses hunger drive. So they eat fewer calories, their cholesterol lowers etc.. But there is really no data looking at ketogenic diets longterm both for general health outcomes as well as for longevity.

The problem with the ketogenic diet is how unsustainable it is since it is heavily animal based. From an environmental and ethical perspective one should never go keto or should at least do keto plant based which is possible but very difficult.

There is no scientific proof of this yet, but there is some anecdotal evidence. The insane carnivore doctor Shawn Baker took a blood test after being on a carnivore diet for several months and it turned out he had the T-levels of an 80 year old woman. Keep in mind this way on the carnivore diet. Keto dieters have at least the sense to eat veggies and nuts.

Well Atkins was a fad. Atkins died overweight with Heart Disease. Also, there is no proof that the vast majority of people ate this way. Humans are opportunistic eaters who would have eaten carbohydrates any chance they got their hands on them. Honey, fruit, ancient grains. All these were part of the human diet even before the agricultural revolution. Since then people have been eating plant based and especially grain based.

These diets won't stay around for the simple reason of being completely environmentally unsustainable. Yes, some people vouch for them, but meat consumption is going to go down in the west in the coming decades and prices will increase. Eventually these diets will disappear either because of unavailability or simply due to societal development.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  9. newstartolife

newstartolife Fapstronaut

"Fad diets are a waste of time"- Arnold Schwarzeneggar

10. Red Eagle

Red Eagle Fapstronaut

Any scientific evidence for that? The body is able to burn bodyfat easily as soon as the glycogen stores are empty. You don't need to be in ketosis to do that.

Well, if somebody does a vegetable based ketogenic diet, mý hat is off to them. But from what I've seen, keto is an excuse for a lot of people to eat a ton of meat. Basically all ketogenic dieters I have seen eat a lot of animal foods.

It was shown in one of his videos. Just search it on youtube. He even addresses it. So no, it is not fake. What the pathway behind that is, we do not know, yet this case shows that it can happen. Do you have any evidence that it improves T and HGH (which you don't want to be increased anyway since it's a growth hormone). What do you mean by great at balancing hormones?

I explained it in my previous post. (F)Atkins was massively overweight with heat disease when he died. If he was on his own diet, that says more than a thousand words. Atkins in a sense is even more extrem than keto, since keto dieters eat more proteins and less fat than Atkins dieters and thus have a lot more room for vegetables.

(F)atkins is not a big thing anymore. It seems every decade or so has it's own version of some highly restrictive low carb diet: Atkins, keto, Paleo, Zone etc... If these diet work the wonders they are said to do, I wonder why they tend to get rebooted over and over again.

But don't get me wrong, low carb can be very healthy. But low carb unlike (F)atkins and keto, allows for some carbs (easily up to 150g) and thus, doesn't restrict you in healthy eating patterns that include legumes, starchy vegetables, some fruit and little amount of grains.

I'd recommend plant based low carb to the average sedentary person, they don't need a lot of carbs. If somebody gets more physically active, they should naturally increase their carbohydrate intake.

Yes, they ate what they could, which includes carb rich foods. The typical paleo diet was not restricted when it comes to carbs as so many paleo people like to claim.

Yes, most people don't give a fuck, it's really sad. Let's destroy our planet and our health at the same time. I thought on something like Nofap, there would be some sensible people who have an understanding of morals and ethics, but no. It's really a very sad time when most people thing selfishly like this.

Make sure you get your blood tested, especially your blood lipids, before and after so you can have a better picture of how you health was affected. Many keto dieters claim great health, but their blood tests say otherwise.