1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Inquiry of a different perspective as to why people do drugs

Discussion in 'Abstinence, Retention, and Sexual Transmutation' started by Ajar, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I, based on personal experience, have come to the idea, that the reason people use drugs, and other methods of addiction in order to feel good, is because that high they get is not exactly a high. Rather that high is more of an expression of our natural state of being. I follow Sadhguru, and I think alot about what he says. I feel that people use drugs, and other substances, addictions, behaviors because internally they always want to feel that all of the time. From Sadhguru, he basically describes the concept of bliss, constantly. He indicates he is always stoned, but he takes no stimulants. So what if people actually, deep inside know that is how they should feel. And because of the circumstances of life, they stop feeling that natural high, or they feel lesser of it, so they chase the only method they can in order to remain in, what should be naturally, a state of euphoria. Because they can't seem to find that externally, they can't exist physiologically, or psychologically without being in that state. This line of thought actually, well at least I feel, brings a depth that hasn't been previously understood prior. If we can understand this, then there is hope for people in this situation, as well as for people on NoFap. This method, or concept guides us into practicality. Being now, the main strive, rather than just stopping PMO, switches now to create a natural high in life based on how we live. It also demolishes the concept that freedom is based in freedom of choice. Freedom is not based in freedom of choice, it is based in the main pursuit of human life, and that is not to suffer, either internally or externally. The main pursuit of life is to be happy, but not all choices lead to happiness. Rather its disciplined choices that lead to happiness. Its creating conscious habits that liberate us internally. Its creating the habits that allow us to become truly liberated. True liberation happens on the inside. This is the same both materially and spiritually. This point Is rather summarized quite beautifully by the quote.."If you're getting thoughts in your head, then what is listening to them". How come we get thoughts? The basis of that is 100% lifestyle.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Knighthawk and iwanttoheal like this.
  2. iwanttoheal

iwanttoheal Fapstronaut

Happiness and mental peace is our natural state. Vices are false ways to return to it, rather they take us further away. They give us the illusion of it, chasing that instant gratification/external validation.

Ajar likes this.
  3. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I think the concept of happiness resolves itself from materialism, the external. Bliss is internal, intoxicating, because it encompasses all aspects, and is reflected only from within you. Peace is also an illusion, because it isn't real, its temporary. If you have no external factors dictating stress, then there is also no peace - there is nothing. Peace/Stress is like darkness and light. We tend to see darkness as dark, and associated with negative, but its 99.99% of the universe, so isn't light really darkness?

iwanttoheal likes this.
  4. iwanttoheal

iwanttoheal Fapstronaut

for sure man!