1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaving my employment

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by pezzer, Nov 24, 2020.

1. pezzer

pezzer Fapstronaut

Every night I come home from work stressed out my head. I know jobs aren't meant to be fun but given the situation and environment, working in retail during this time just feels like a whole other beast to tackle. I work 30 hr weeks as a 19 year old soon to turn 20 and I've just got a lot of other things going on in my head. I really would like to attend college and study something there preferably in computers since that's where I'd say my interest lies. This is just a big step for me and I'm struggling with what to say to my manager. I know my dad will likely be strongly against this but I just feel I have to do what is best for my own mental and physical wellbeing. Onwards and upwards!

Quiet Riot and GigglingTrout like this.
  2. stdout

stdout Fapstronaut

You don't owe your manager anything (most likely... right?), if you want to leave, just be straight with him/her. You want to pursue something other than working in retail and therefore are leaving. Keep it plain and simple. I'd recommend to have a somewhat solid plan on how to finance your studying beforehand. You could also try to start learning whatever it is that interests you in computers beforehand, so you have a rough understanding of what you're about to get into. Keep in mind: Studying something is often very different from what attracted you to the field in general. CompSci is heavy on numerical mathematics and studying doesn't include - in most cases - programming "cool" applications, but to learn about algorithms, data-structures and so forth. Some students do write applications in their free time though.

And: Why would you think your dad is against you studying? :emoji_confused:

pezzer likes this.
  3. Reverent

Reverent Fapstronaut

Fear.
    Fear is what disables most of our decisions.

I say don't just quit a job without a clear plan and goals for the aftermath. It's easy to believe the grass is always greener on the other side. There are real benefits to having employment, not only money, but esteem, sociality and a purpose. A reason to get up in the morning.

Often times we blame our boss or job situation as the cause of our unhappiness. Maybe it is, but what I often find is our attitudes are what stink and changing jobs doesn't change that. Focus on what you CAN control not on what is out of your control.

That being said, develop a clear practical plan on how you want to move forward. If you want to do college, research the costs of persuing it and how you plan on obtaining it. Be deliberate and responsible. Don't expect anything from anyone and seize your life. Make your own way, you're a man, what your dad thinks you should consider, but as long as you're not mooching off him, You shouldn't fear shame by following your dreams.

Best of luck, you got this!

GigglingTrout and pezzer like this.
  4. pezzer

pezzer Fapstronaut

Thanks for letting me know, i guess that just means ive really gotta take the time to look for precisely what it is im interested in. I didn't really think about this so im glad you mentioned it.

Thanks man! yeah i mean i just sort of started to feel a very heavy burden with that job specifically, i didn't see myself growing any further while im there and my interests in life have changed quite a bit to how i was a year ago. This jobs given me good time to think about myself and my future i'd say.

i've never really been able to disclose or rely on my dad for anything, he is only interested now in living his own life for himself. Not seeking sympathy just the way it is and im cool with it like its helped me to be more of an individual but life sure is tough when you face things alone thats one thing i've learnt. I like the idea of reflecting on myself, i mean thats usually a good thing that can bring about self improvement.

Roady likes this.
  5. Fuck your manager, and your dad can also shut up. We are here for our own lifes. We don't own shit, but noone owns us too, so let's not be weak about it. Do it!

pezzer likes this.
  6. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

They aren't supposed to be stressful to the point of your mental health declining either. It's not good to anyone if you burn out at a young age. Get the kind of job you like or at the very least can put up with. At least you have a plan to get a job that actually pays you money. I don't see wjy anyone would diss that. A lot of people's dream jobs (including mine) are difficult to monetize. So your dreams could be way worse from the perspective of money making and funding your own life.

stdout and pezzer like this.
  7. pezzer

pezzer Fapstronaut

Thank you guys, all the supports really helped me reaffirm my decision. I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing. I know staying in this job any longer will just continue to make me miserable so I think it's time I take things under my control to make myself happy!

Roady and stdout like this.
  8. Deddog

Deddog Fapstronaut

My first job at the age of 20 was really stressful, it was something completely new for me. I had this unpleasantness to work in the call center and I answered the calls from people (often furious) who had problems with Internet/phone service. I left the job because I knew that I will be hired somewhere else and I couldn't allow myself at that time to be unemployed. My first job was a true training ground, it wasn't all strewn with roses and now I can truly appreciate what I have and where I am. Unfortunately the work related stress took its toll on me.

We must also learn to swallow the bitter pill of pride to truly see if our current situation is as bad as we think - sometimes we are contemplating too much and we see only negative things, without noticing the good ones. Even during hard times in my first job I was glad that I had it, some of my friends at that time struggled with getting employed or had much worse situation in their lives.

I don't know in what situation you are (financial e.g.) and in what enviroment you live, but you must carefully plan your next move - especially in the current situation caused by C-virus where it may be difficult to find a decent job as small buisnesses are closing in some areas and having a job is an advantage. Do some research in you local area, check what options you have and after gathering as many information as you can make a decision on what you want to do next.

pezzer likes this.
  9. If you work in a office o reccomend to find a work where you are outside. I worked as a painter 42h in a week in my apprendiceship, but i was pretty happy to not work in a closed cube.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2020
    pezzer likes this.
  10. If I could go back to being 19 years old, I would head to the trades. Commercial electrician to be more specific.

pezzer likes this.
  11. Quiet Riot

Quiet Riot Fapstronaut

Dude f*ck what your parents say. You only have one life and you have to make the most of it. Why not go to college and then later get paid to do what you love. Also, if your manager doesn't want to accommodate to your school hours, maybe try looking for a job with a flexible schedule?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    pezzer likes this.