1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Keep trying to set up an online business or choose the work life?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by R2DToy, Nov 2, 2019.

1. R2DToy

R2DToy Fapstronaut

Hi! I had - and still have - many business ideas in my life.

The internet and computers were basically always involved - I created all sorts of websites ranging from P sites, gambling, certain health products, online game portals, eBooks on how to make money by telling others to make an eBook the way you did to sell it to others.. lol. List goes on. I must've registered hundreds and hundreds of domains.

Very few of these projects actually got developed and made money. Still, in these 12 years I only made roughly 25K. That's just an average. Most money was made in a co-op online business in two years about ten years ago.

I really enjoyed the process of creating an idea, a business. I get all excited and start working on it. Then you realize how much time it takes and the effort that goes in before even making a single Euro. It seems that the older I get the more quickly I give up. When I was younger, I was kinda ignorant, and didn't really think too far ahead. But now it seems to be unavoidable.

Why am I telling you this?

I'm thinking to myself. Should I not try to choose a career instead? I have some good degrees, but I never pursued a career and stuck to simple crappy part time jobs because the situation demanded it. Actually it still does. When you're in your mid thirties like me you start to look back and think - am I going in the right direction? Is this working for me? Basically I'm just really worried.

I hate bosses, like everyone else. But I feel I hate working for a company more than the average person. It feels like enslavement. You work hard so your boss can buy that new fancy car and yacht while you work overtime for a low wage. That fake 'happiness' and goodmornings to your colleagues. Holding back your emotions for the fear of getting fired. Stuff like this makes me want to throw up.

At the same time.. giving up is not exactly a good trait when trying to set up a business. I'm actually more of a creative person. Some sort of 'artist' if you will. I can have my good weeks, and suddenly weeks of depression and little productivity. This is the bottleneck that causes many problems. Working for a company is easier. You go there, do what you must do and get quickly paid.

Setting up a succesful business also means being a business person. You must be a bit ruthless, persistent and willing to work for it. But I continually see myself losing motivation. I think it's because of my age. It feels like I'm running 'out of time' desperately trying to find that one plan that's going to be 'easy' and successful. Except that that plan doesn't exist.

I guess I also never pictured myself living this average to below-average life. I always wanted to rise above it. Be more than just a number amongst the masses. While you stare out the window of your crappy sedan and see that hot Mercedes drive past you you start to think.. how the hell, why not me, how can I achieve that, what the hell do I do?

Does anyone have any similar experience. Perhaps even a piece of advice.

Thanks!

2. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Do both, get a job and run your online business on the side.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. I don’t have any experience but I do have advice.

Do what you love to do. Don’t feel like you need to be shoved into work you hate. Also don’t measure your success by looking at others. That person in the Mercedes might be a miserable sod that’s hating life because he’s stuck in a job he/she hates. Money doesn’t bring happiness.

Also your big break will never come if you give up. Keep doing what you love doing and perhaps something big will happen. Quit it and that something big will never happen.

Another thing that comes to mind is do some “brainstorming” and think of ways you might do what your doing now in a different way that might have more success. Perhaps your methods have become stale and you need a new appointment. Just a thought.

I’m fortunate to have a job I love. But I hear so many stories from people stuck in jobs they hate and can’t leave for one reason or another. You certainly don’t want that happening to you!

4. You must be patient and look for other more lucrative businesses. You must be an entrepreneur, not an employee.

5. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/313

But on a more serious note I think your mentality is wrong. First of all it seems like you are measuring succesfullness and even the worth of your life and correctness of your career choices merely on financial profit. Why? Doesn't it matter how happy you are otherwise or wether you are doing something you personally enjoy or not? As far as I understood your income has been average so far and thus more than enough for living a life that most of the people in the world (when you count in developing countries etc.) would call luxurious. So why do you need a mercedes?

Secondly if money is really such an important value to you, your work mentality is wrong. You're trying to gain the thing that in your eyes defines the value of your life and yet you are using excuses like losing motivation or not wanting to work for a company. Like if you can be content in your life right now, that's okay, but if your current situation makes you feel like you're too average and living your life wrong, I think you should start working harder. That might mean stickong to your onine business ideas even when you don't have motivation or maybe getting a full time job and working on online businesses simultaneously. Getting rich without a shit ton of luck is going to be hard, so if that's actually your only life goal, get used to things being hard.

It's all life choices here. What do you valud the most? Having some freedom to do what you want in the moment and maybe more time or working hard for more money? I would personally try to find contentment and meaning in a life you call "average" merely based on the amount of income maybe by figuring out if what you're doing feels right for you etc. but if in your eyes money is everything, at least pursue it with a suitable amount of passion.

6. Beetenen

Beetenen New Fapstronaut

I still hope to create my own business.

7. Beetenen

Beetenen New Fapstronaut

I am planning to open my own company in the next go. I am planning to open my own company for the production of soft toys for children in Montenegro. This country has very cool conditions for starting a business. The corporate tax rate is only 9%. Low cost and fast company setup. Not an offshore jurisdiction, which will protect your company and your funds. In order to speed up the process, I turned to the service https://companyformation.me/montenegro-company-formation-and-residency-pack/ for help, which professionally deals with the registration of companies in Montenegro and assistance with accommodation.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020