1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I counter this thought

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. DiegoNunez7749

DiegoNunez7749 Fapstronaut

How do I counter the thought of pleasure from sin? When I’m tempted the thought of doing that sin is so pleasurable. What can I tell myself so that I counters this thought?

2. InTheWilderness

InTheWilderness Fapstronaut

The funny thing about the human mind is that the more you try not to think about something, the more you will think about it.

“You can never stop thinking about something by trying not to think about it. If you want to get something out of your mind, you must begin thinking about something else.” — Heath Lambert

Are you going through any Bible reading plan?

3. @DiegoNunez7749 We have discussed this many times in the past. @InTheWilderness mentions the principle again in his comment to you.

Take every though captive for Christ.
    Run it by the Spirit to find the lies in it. Temptation is always a lie.
    Replace the lie with the Truth.
    Then, meditate on the truth instead of the lie.

Do this with every single thought, esp. those that are unhelpful and tempting.

But you know all this already. Yours is not a problem of intellect -- you already know *what* to do -- rather, it is a problem of will -- you do not *want* to do what must be done. You must choose what sort of man you want to be.

Let us know what you decide.

4. crr5243

crr5243 Fapstronaut

I am no expert as I relapse from time to time but one thing that helps me is to think about how I will feel afterward.

5. 1 Tes. 4:3

1 Tes. 4:3 Fapstronaut

There is more pleasure in not sinning. A bigger reward. James 1:12 "Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him".

Just imagine you´d receive 1000 $ for not doing it. Then think on the truth that the crown of life is much much better than that money.

Thinking all that (or similar truths) takes mental effort. That is the key. We have to want the reward so much that we are willing to put the effort. Valuing and prizing the reward for not sinning (communion with God, peace of mind, freedom from guilt, etc.) is key to overcome not only the value of sin´s pleasure, but the price (effort) we have to pay to overcome, because sinning is effortless.

We have to see that:

Reward from not sinning > Reward from sinning + Effort needed to not sinning.

For me, that is the failure many times. I don´t even do the math.

6. It’s not easy in the moment, but remembering the consequences of sin, the joy of walking in holiness and redirecting your thoughts.