1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you guys still believe in the "Alpha" nonsense?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Pureheart, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Philip1990

Philip1990 Fapstronaut

nobrainer possible to be the most alpha man in history :3

2. Baroque

Baroque Fapstronaut

This is a good article about alpha males I came across a while back:
    http://occidentinvicta.com/2014/06/21/portrait-of-the-alpha-male/

The West has become very hedonistic so being an alpha male is all about success with women when that's really a small part of it. Rockstars get lots of pussy but that doesn't necessarily make them alpha males. Look at Ozzy Osbourne. His wife clearly wears the pants in their marriage.

Also, the comparison to animals can only go so far. Alpha males in the animal kingdom procreate with multiple females. If a man does that, he's gonna go broke paying child support.

3. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

[​IMG] ;)

4. JustADude

JustADude Fapstronaut

@Pureheart, funny you should ask... we were having a very similar conversation in a different thread.
    http://www.nofap.com/forum/index.php?threads/should-i-try-being-friends-with-ex-girlfriend.37823/

We start getting into the alpha male topic after Corey Wayne gets thrown into the conversation.

As a married dude in his mid 30s who has multiple kids, 10 years of experience in the corporate world, a degree in engineering, and a pretty confident self image, I have to say this Alpha Male stuff is a repackaging of old crap. My problem with it is that I don't think your life should be focused on "being more alpha". If you try to be "more alpha", you are doing it backwards. Instead, you should live life to its fullest, be a good person, work hard, and stay true to yourself in the face of others trying to put you down. Do that, and you might find yourself "being more alpha" without having to consciously "be more alpha". Or, you might find a different path in life. Some of the happiest people in the world are not alpha. Money, women, and fame are but one way to find fulfillment in your life. Why would you shortchange yourself by seeking only one path in life, why not leave yourself open to life and be opportunistic.

5. DONTMASTRBT

DONTMASTRBT Fapstronaut

People can't really use Alpha as something physical. Its more of a mentality. I want to act Alpha so I do something like this. I want to act Beta to a certain Alpha so I will act like this. Its really just a mentality.

Kiddy likes this.
  6. cryptifly

cryptifly Fapstronaut

You're not missing anything. I mean "partying" in the sense of binge drinking, copious amounts of drugs and sex until your genitals fall off. It may seem like fun in the moment but in the long run that kind of "partying" will only ruin your life. However, if by "partying" you mean a get together with good friends, good food, and responsible drinking/smoking than, yes, go nuts!

Kiddy likes this.
  7. axy_david

axy_david Fapstronaut

I don't like it because it's sexist and I know everything that's sexist is going to affect my opinion about women in a bad way. Especially if you don't have a good opinion in the first place....
    There is something the OP forgot to mention tho.....alpha is not funny, but yolo swag is.

Kiddy likes this.
  8. Andre2807

Andre2807 Fapstronaut

I don't distinguish between "Alpha" and "beta" males... but I rather distinguish between attractive behaviour and unattractive behaviour.

Women filter men based on their BEHAVIOUR and then LOOKS.
    Men filter women based on their LOOKS and then BEHAVIOUR.

9. Congrelous

Congrelous Fapstronaut

Also, OP's title is a leading question, just thought I'd point that out.

10. axy_david

axy_david Fapstronaut

Nice generalisation there, however I have to say that from my own experience at least this is not accurate.

11. Andre2807

Andre2807 Fapstronaut

Obviously it's a generalisation... Here's the thing. A guy can't improve his looks, plastic surgery yes and lots of hard work at the gym. But a guy can easily improve his behaviour and lifestyle.

Here's the thing: A guy can be good looking and have some pick up skills to get the girl short term, but if he has self esteem issues and lives with his mom and the list goes on... Looks alone don't keep the girl. He might attract her short term, yes... but after that he fades away.

12. Kiddy

Kiddy Fapstronaut

I don't really understand this concept of alpha in real life. It seems like just another way for one group of people to promote themselves while putting down another group of people. It reminds me of Dr. Seuss' The Sneeches.

13. axy_david

axy_david Fapstronaut

Why can't a guy improve his looks?
    I might agree with you on the 2nd part tho, its widely socially acceptable for women to be less independent than men.
    I think in the end it goes the same for women too, good looking women are good for one nighters however I don't see a trend where they are chosen as a serious relationship.

14. Andre2807

Andre2807 Fapstronaut

A guy can, but it's much harder for a guy.

15. Temujin

Temujin Guest

Ok. I believe in 'Alpha', but I would define it very differently to the way you do.

History has always had people who where kings, queens, emperors and tribal leaders. If you where a member of a royal family you where expected to learn how to act with 'dignity' or 'honour'. You learnt manners and customs, you where supposed to never shout and in some cultures the leader was even never supposed to speak and only whisper to his closest advisor’s who would then speak for him. They where also expected to learn how to lead, which is a very difficult skill to learn.

For me leadership is alpha. However leadership doesn't come from having loads of money, or big muscles, or knocking others down.

If you look at generals in the military who retain the respect of their men they are often very calm, very in control, and have very good social skills. You also need to be very good at negotiation and balancing the different needs of different people and knowing how to calm and peacefully resolve conflict in the ranks.

Calm, in control, good social skills. These three things I would not associate with what people regard as 'Alpha'. Yet these qualities caused the soldiers to respect these generals enough to follow them and not mutiny even when they where scared and their lives where in danger.

To command respect and have people follow your lead you need to act in a way to be worthy of that respect. People have to trust your judgement and trust that you have the best intentions and are also capable. For me that is 'Alpha'.

I have also found that i thoroughly enjoy leading, i would say it is an important skill and deeply rewarding skill to learn but its all about subtleties, and having empathy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015