1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone want to get jacked ?

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by AlphaWolf1408, Oct 18, 2020.

1. AlphaWolf1408

AlphaWolf1408 Fapstronaut

If anyone is looking for Fitness advice from someone that has been there and done that, post your question(s) below or send me a PM.

Let's do it together brothers !

2. rob13_

rob13_ Fapstronaut

I want to sign up to the gym and start weight training, so I could gain muscle and build a great body. But it feels so overwhelming; there's so much information out there and I don't know how to start.

I guess my question is how do I start actually weight training? What do I do?

Btw I'm 6'0, 170 pounds. Been doing light calisthenics for a few weeks, and I play basketball, but otherwise no real gym use.

Thank you for your time!

3. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

I thought the point was to avoid jacking. Ha!

4. AlphaWolf1408

Have you ever gone to the gym before or will this be your first time going ? The problem with a lot of information out there (especially within the Fitness and Bodybuilding industries), is that many things will not apply to natural lifters. Anabolic steroids change the game greatly.

Naturals in the gym (especially newbies) will have to focus more on compound lifts and should incorporate some Powerlifting movements instead of following the typical bro splits (Chest Day, Shoulders Day, Back Day, Arms Day, etc.). You will of course need to have some basic strenght to handle heavier loads.

Your body releases anabolic hormones that will help you grow (Testosterone and Growth Hormone) when you perform compounds exercises.

Focus on Squats, Deadlifts, the Bench Press, Dips and Pull-Ups. Then use isolation exercises at the end of your workouts when you are taxed.

You will need to get your diet in check as well. I suppose you are trying to gain muscle ? You will need to eat at a caloric surplus but make sure to target your Macro goals so that you gain weight but not too much body fat.

Let me know if there is anything more specific you would like to know !

InTheWilderness likes this.
  5. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

Are squats really that useful, especially the burden and punishment they can inflict on the knees? It's not as if I need to bulk up my knees? Aren't there better alternatives, even for the knees, if that is a main hinge of a certain exercise? What really makes my legs and knees feel great and "on fire," in the good way, and "vital" is the leg press. It also seems more controlled and safer.

6. InTheWilderness

InTheWilderness Fapstronaut

@AlphaWolf1408 ,

In your opinion, what’s the percentage (rough estimation) of people that are not natural? I’m not that into lifting but because of this pandemic I just got into it recently. Since there are women out there and online walking around with fake boobs and make up etc.... then I’m guessing that it might be the same with men that are into gym taking the shortcut with drugs/supplements?

7. AlphaWolf1408

As far as something being a burden and punishment, WW2 was the last time that we experienced those feelings.

I've heard many excuses over the years not to squat. Yes, you will need time to squat safely and without pain.

You cannot deny the metabolic advantages of a whole body movement vs. a sitting machine exercise.

I've seen many people focus solely on machines without getting anywhere whereas the people that started squatting made improvements in the long run. Still, the Leg Press is a great way to start a leg training routine.

8. AlphaWolf1408

I wouldn't want to even give an estimate about how many men take shortcuts.

However, I know there is a worlwide phenomenon where men do tend to take shortcuts after only a few months of gym training simply because they don't know what to do with their training and nutrition.

Building a body will be a result of dieting, training is simply a stimulus to grow and build. The food that you eat are the building blocks.

People start training but forget about the dieting part, they see no results and then start thinking about shortcuts.

The best way to assess whether someone is using "unnatural" supplements such as exogenous Testosterone is to see how they train and even to look at the callouses on their hands.

Someone using exogenous hormones will tend to be training light, since they won't need the hormonal stimulus from the training itself.

They will therefore focus more on the "pump" and simply be channeling blood to the muscles for the uptake of nutrients.

Usually, you can tell whether someone is using exogenous hormones. After doing this for over 10 years, I can tell by simply looking at them.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    InTheWilderness likes this.
  9. newstartolife

newstartolife Fapstronaut

10. AlphaWolf1408

That was all you had to say ?

11. newstartolife

newstartolife Fapstronaut

You don't get the pun.

12. greenboy_01

greenboy_01 Fapstronaut

What are the best exercises to do at home whilst the gyms are closed?

13. Envoy-ofthe-End

Envoy-ofthe-End Fapstronaut

I´ve been training for 3 years now, and I´m just going to leave this advice.

Stop masturbating and busting your load, that´s the best thing you can do to get better in the gym. Yes, this doesn´t apply to sex. The most progress I´ve made has been on the last 5-6 months where I´ve had long streaks of no PMO. Currently just doing calisthenics and am getting leaner, more muscular and muscle is getting denser.

Also, can do 8 strict muscleups now, 4 pullups +20KG, and 25 strict pullups in a row. Before on PMO even though I trained everyday my progress was very slow.

If you guys want to get fit, just hit the gym. You won´t know what to do but so did we. It´s not about getting the best instructions but getting in there day in and day out, not excuses.

Steppingintotheunkown likes this.
  14. AlphaWolf1408

You want to focus on exercises that will hit the biggest surface of muscle mass. Think compound exercises.

I've gotten in one of the best shapes of my life by doing three exercises (since the quarantine):

- Front Squats with Double Kettlebells
    - Weighted-vest Ring Dips
    - Weighted-vest Ring Pull-Ups

If you got no equipment (even though you can pretty much order MANY things online), I would focus on an upper-lower split:

One day you do the upper body, another day you do the lower (during the quarantine, two days of upper and two days of lower weekly should be enough volume).

Upper: Push-ups, chair dips for chest (add back pack with weight for resistance) / Bent over "back pack" rows and one arm bent over "back pack" rows (you are using the back pack instead of a barbell or dumbbell)

Seriously, get a back pack ! ;) You can fill it up with rocks, water bottles, or whatever else works !

Lower: High-volume SKWAAAAATS (think 30-40 reps). Since we don't have access to a bar or heavier weight, we will use the back pack and put it right behind the head while holding it together with our arms so it stays stable.

Now squat until sweat starts pouring from your forehead onto the floor.

We are pretty limited with equipment, but this is what I would do if I had limited opportunities. You literally only need a back pack (make sure to buy a higher quality one that can hold respectable weight inside).

15. greenboy_01

greenboy_01 Fapstronaut

Thanks for your answer I was doing already most of these exercises with my backpack. The most challenging for me now is training legs without equipment. I'm going to order some stuff I think because I was on a bulk rn and it's very difficult to train without equipment but you gave me some more inspiration to be able to do more exercises.

16. One exercise that really got me lean and strong during highschool was punching the boxing bag. I barely use to lift weights too, and I was stronger than most of the "bodybuilder" kids (in terms of grip strength and overall athletism). I'd do some drills like Jab-Cross, Jab-Cross-Hook, Heavy body punches. Sometimes even muay thai drills like elbows, knees, kicks, etc. The most intense one was punching the bag as hard and as fast as you can for 30 seconds non-stop (ex world heavyweight kickboxing champion taught me this one and it's a killer). Always wear gloves (and wraps if you're new) when you punch the bag, I learned the importance of gloves the hard way.

Boxing bags are a good home exercise, but you need room for it. Never buy standing boxing bags, although they don't take up much space, they can't take big hits, they don't last and they're very expensive. Always buy traditional hanging boxing bags.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2020
  17. AlphaWolf1408

Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce fat-loss.

Yes, we do become fatter in some areas more than others. This is determined by genetics and gender.

Usually, men get fatter in the stomach and women in the buttocks and thighs area. There are of course always exceptions to the rule.

There are therefore no workouts that will reduce the amount of fat in a specific area.

Instead, losing body-fat "all-over" will take care of those problems areas.

This means: Dieting with some sort of cardio if needed :)

Once you start losing body-fat from your whole body, those fat cells in the problem areas will get burned.

But they are usually the last ones to go (if the fat usually "sticks" there first).

Hope that somehow answers your question ;)

18. outlaw007

outlaw007 Fapstronaut

This sounds interesting