1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Your first mistake is using reddit for any reason other than to laugh at the things people say on it. Isn't is also a hotbed of possible triggers? Be careful!

2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Rainfall starts to change.
    Icy tears run down my cheeks.
    Threatens snow to come.

Bleary eyes stare up
    at a blue sky now consumed.
    Around me. All grey.

3. I'm Back boys. Written almost 1000 words today. Plus a few hundred in poetry. The peak is finally approaching after being trapped in the valley so dark.

4. Many steps ahead.

Rain washes me as I climb.

Reach the peak at last.

Treetops are swaying

Envelop me in their arms.

Breeze is refreshing.

Maybe if I run.

I can outlast the darkness.

The light will save me.

5. Also I have decided to start writing a fictional novel. Is it a bad idea to have two books on the go? I'm just struggling to write my novel as it's quite tough going at times reliving the past, I will still do it. But I had a dream a while ago with the perfect story for a dystopian type novel set perhaps a thousand years from now. And I can see it so clearly. Have just written a bit of an intro for it. And I am very happy with it.
    I think with my current fluctuation of moods I need to write something I can enjoy.

6. Also I relate to these. These are similar to how I see ;)

aricking and AtomicTango like this.
  7. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

8180 words this week. My current page count is 225 pages. Next weeks chapter is the last one before I take the rest of the year off for Christmas and much needed recuperation.

8. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

This is kinda tough to answer honestly. I personally have many ideas for stories and books going on at the same time, and I am tempted to work on more than one at once, but I try to stay focused on working on one thing at a time, only splitting off from it to write ideas down. I think the issue with working on more than one thing at once is it runs the risk of diluting your efforts.

9. Yes, fair point. I'm 1640 words deep however. And I'm enjoying it. I haven't been enjoying my other book much just because I've been in a dark place. Perhaps I set the other one on a hiatus and just work on this.

10. Seated on a hill.
    Mountains vast, surrounding me.
    Peace envelopes all.

The Nights cold and dark.
    The silence reflects glory.
    Clouds shrouded the stars.

The heart seeks to rest.
    It searches far, high and low.
    Love casts out all fear.

11. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

I did it! First draft of thesis submitted to my advisor for review. 247 pages and just over 60,000 words.

Feels like a small weight has been lifted for now. I still have to make the necessary edits and changes and submit to the examiners before Dec 15th.

The last two days were a heck of a ride. Formatting was tedious, especially using word 07 and Windows 7. I had my laptop since 2012 and it's barely making it at this point.
    In hindsight, I should have upgraded this year but I'm barely scrapping by as it is. Anyways, I'm happy at the moment, a small milestone has been achieved.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  12. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

By the way, it's exactly 10 months since I joined NoFap. I have published one paper, completed and submitted the second, and completed the third paper within 2 months.

All while working on 4 different engineering projects, completing reports for each. And applying for jobs with interviews at the near end. I have never been more productive in my life. I know this year has been dark and negative for most, but I'm lucky to have a lot of positives and personal achievements.

I thank you guys once again. This thread has been more than effective for me and it's all because of your contribution and daily updates!

13. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Whatever keeps you writing, go with it. Even if it's just notes or ideas for the dystopian novel. Write them down because memory can be a fragile gift.

14. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

I see your dilemma. I guess you will keep playing around with his change of heart.

15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I finished the chapter with the old character having a change of heart based on the protagonist basically summing up that while the old characters feelings are completely valid, his feelings dont stop the fact the villains are going to continue being villains regardless and he should fight not for himself or even because the protagonist asked him to, but because fighting is a better pragmatic option and he owes it to the future of his people to at least try. Death is preferable to the villains winning.

What I am trying to do with this series is have EVERYTHING link back to something else. Something as simple as a throwaway line in book 1 can come back later in the book or even later in a later book and have new meaning. I fully intend the books to be even better when read a second time for these reasons. In the case of this protagonist, a lot of the things she does set up her character arc where she will ultimately end up in charge of her entire faction. Her interaction with the old character and the ensuing battle she fights in and wins (at the expense of something else) highlights that she is willing to sacrifice things for the benefit of others in a way that comes back to benefit her later. Her self sacrifice and the risks she takes and the personal losses she endures lead to a point where her faction is willing to put her in complete charge because she has proven she is willing to fight for them even if she doesnt always make the right choice. Her fallibility is one of the best parts of her development imo.

16. Not too much activity on my end this week. Wrote 2000 or so words in the span of just three days this week (Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday) so that's quite good for my final research paper before I graduate. I've now gotten myself up to 40 haikus in my bundle and I checked every haiku that I've written in the last month, only to find that only one of them was slightly off with its word count. So now I've got to go back and check the other 30 or so, but that'll be a tomorrow project. I know that three of them are getting rewrites as I'm unhappy with them, but that's pretty darn good considering how much I've developed my haiku style.

Also, @AtomicTango, don't worry! I'm only on Reddit to laugh at some memes now in days and contribute to subreddits on poetry or Catholicism. I've been safe and secure and it helps that I'm not that big of a Reddit user.

17. That was my thoughts. As it's exciting.
    Also congratulations on the thesis! That's no small feat!

18. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Thanks!

19. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

So my advisor has given me feedback. The thesis is good to go. I just have to make a few edits and get some signatures from potential examiners then I can submit. Hopefully by Friday. I'm extremely happy. I was preparing for some rewrites, but turns out I got the most of it.

I also have some personal edits I want to make, so I'll be doing those as well. Full steam ahead!

20. I've been at the library today. Collecting books on dystopian futures. On failed political systems. On the fall of the USSR. Reading orwell's 1984 and also a brave new world. And a few easy readers like the hunger games. Just to see how they really capture the emotion and rawness of a dying world. I'm over 3000 words on this on. My book inspired by yours truly, is tough to write. It is good but I think I want to write a fantasy sci-fi dystopian novel for my pleasure.