1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. The birds chirp and tweet.
    Ruffled feathers, oh such peace
    To fly, to be free.

Calm, crisp evening breeze.
    Momma bird carries a worm.
    Home, to feed her young.

The deer roars loudly.
    It's love that his heart yearns for.
    She will hear his voice.

2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Honestly I'm not sure, I have then in a document but I'm not keeping track.

Anakin66, aricking and Henryforward like this.
  3. Oh, I love these. I scrapped one of the Christmas ones I wrote because it didn't sound quite right, but I saved the last line and I've got another one I'm working on, but the second part is what gives me the most trouble. How many are you up to?

4. That's cool man, I hadn't thought about writing any Christmas ones. Maybe I will if I get inspired.

Not sure must be quite a few I should compile them to my laptop.
    I have so many random poems on my phone would be good to get them all in one place.

5. I'm sure that you'll get inspired. There's always inspiration wherever you look! :D

You should. I find compiling them together is better because it not only has them on there, but you never know what might happen to the versions handwritten or your phone so it's a good idea to have some extra form of security. As for me, I wrote 3 haikus yesterday so, in the past 3 days, I've done 7 haikus. That's wonderful considering that I'm done with my degree program.

Plus, I'll be returning to article (and novel) writing tomorrow.

6. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Two very different haiku tonight. Hope everyone is doing well.

Boundless temptation
    simmers beneath the surface.
    Stand against the tide.

Lone star in the sky.
    Man's redemption close at hand
    Season of our Lord.

7. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Didn't do much this weekend. Decided I needed a break from looking at my thesis. I did manage to do some planning for this week. I am also leading a team to finalize an engineering design report by Christmas, so I've been sending out emails and planning for that as well.

I realize that I need to stick to my routine that has benefited me over the last four months. I won't be writing new content as much, because I have 90% of it already written. It's just editing and reorganizing.

8. I've been resting fairly well lately after completing my degree program. I've had some time to think about some essays to write, but I've got a nice batch of haikus I'll be editing this morning and unless anything else comes up between now and New Years, it might be the last batch for I'm wanting to turn my attention to working on my novel. I may get to resume work on it this evening, but tomorrow for sure.

9. I love this. I've written one about the adoration of the Magi and then one over the flight of the angels. I consider the latter to be one of my favorites from the winter batch I've been working on. I'll have to let you guys my final number of haikus for the year soon.

Anakin66, aricking and AtomicTango like this.
  10. How's your philosophy book coming along? @aricking

Henryforward, Anakin66 and aricking like this.
  11. aricking

aricking Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Not that good,i was delaying recently but good thing is i am about to finish an essay on enlightenment,wrote 1490 words today,,a problem is i have low confidence in terms of writting,i had negative thoughts that my writting is dumb

Henryforward and Anakin66 like this.
  12. Now, no writer's dumb. There's writer's block, but you're not a dumb writer. You just need a boost of confidence here and @AtomicTango's the best person. He gave me the confidence to revise my novel and not throw it away and his guidance has seen me write more than ever before. We've all got advice that we can shower you with.

13. aricking

aricking Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Most importantly i now find writting very interesting,and i would love getting advice from you guys

Henryforward and Anakin66 like this.
  14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Nobody is a good writer right from the off, its not a talent you are born with, its a skill you can learn and practice at. I wrote things a few years back that, objectively speaking, were not very good and were extremely amateurish. Last year I wrote a short novella and this year I wrote two short stories before starting and finishing a novel, and now I am writing the second novel in a planned series. Now, to be fair, do I think anything I have written is absolutely amazing? No, but I can tell you that every time I write something new its inherently superior to anything I wrote before it, because it has the added benefit of experience poured into it.

To cut a long story short, my advice is to do three things before you start writing what you consider the "main" thing you want to write about.

1. Take the time to read other books by a variety of authors. They dont need to be in genres you actually want to write about, just things you are interested in. Reading other peoples work will educate you on what you like, what you dont, inspire you with your own ideas, as well as give you a better grasp of what and what isnt "good." I was actually inspired to write my own novel by reading a sci fi novel so bafflingly mediocre yet so well received it mad me realise I could write something better, and so I did. If you read a lot of books you will stop holding to yourself to such a high standard as you will see even famous, beloved authors have issues or noticeable quirks.

2. Planning is your best friend, and is technically tied to tip 1. Reading and planning are all "research" in the sense you are researching external sources as well as your own imagination for the best way to write something. Keep notes and write down every idea you have. From now on EVERYTHING you experience in life is research for a possible book or story.

3. I dont advise writing something massively complex or ambitious first. You arent Tolkien, and shouldn't try to be, you probably cant just sit down and churn out something like he did in the way he did and get away with it. And thats fine, because 99% of people cant. You need to hold yourself to realistically achievable standards. Starting with short stories or even flash fiction is a better idea than jumping into something long and complex right away, realising its bad midway through, and then being dejected. And remember, the more short stuff you write, the more you can experiment and find your own style within the confines of something that wont take years to write and finish. Once you feel confident, then you can move onto something complex.

15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Some more haiku today. A more sombre one, a more uplifting one, and as a change, one that is horror themed.

Windswept horizon.
    Muted sky meets faded earth.
    Where did colours go?

Polychromatic
    sky flashes to life as the
    lights of heaven dance.

Swirling, shifting, the
    unknowable moves closer.
    It slept. Now it wakes.

16. Well, I submitted my second article to the editor and I've now written more than 5000 words for one publication. It's something that's going to be done on the side that I can see helping me improve my ability to write articles, but I love it since I've free reign to write on what I want and since I'd give myself about a month to work on a piece, plenty of time for research and contemplating the angle I'm going for.

I'm going to try and resume work on the novel next week. I meant to this week, but I wanted to finish the article first and then return to the novel. Meanwhile, today's the day I'm supposed to graduate so it's time for me to find a job in some shape or form.

17. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

It's been a hectic week. I'm moving back home permanently, so I have been packing and cleaning. I didn't get much done for my PhD work, but I managed to make progress on the engineering report. I'll be off all weekend and probably try to get back to work by Tuesday.

18. Why are you moving back home? o:

19. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Finally got through the chapters I have written so far. 248 pages and just over 88,000 words for act 4. I think in future I will take the time to have a break and read my work in-between acts as opposed to at the end, because bloody hell that was tedious.

Still, now thats done I can take the next two weeks off for real. Merry Christmas everyone!

20. Oh wow! That's impressive my friend. I'll be getting back into writing my novel tomorrow. I've revised two poems I wrote in Feburary. I've got a poem I'll write soon, but the rest of my creative energies are going toward revising and rewriting the next chapter of my novel for the rest of the year.