1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I have never had a social life. Is that bad or no?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Deleted Account, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Hello,

I have never had a social life. I have never hanged out with friends or had any friends in my life. I think my social skills were heavily impacted because I’m a shy individual. I get kinda depressed seeing all these people having fun with their friends and boyfriends/girlfriends.

My question is that bad that I have never had a social life or no?

Thanks for reading.

2. jferdig73

jferdig73 Fapstronaut

I don't think its a matter of of good or bad, its about where do you want to go from here. Your story is only told by you ...

3. PeaceOnEarth108

PeaceOnEarth108 Fapstronaut

Hi,
    no I don't think it's bad. Actually, you need nobody other than yourself for being happy. That your happiness is dependent on others is an illusion that could even be very harmful. What others are good for: 1. You can learn from them, 2. You can help them wich in turn makes you more happy, 3. ok yes, a little bit of social contact is required as part of the basic human needs. But far less than we thought.

ThrillClass likes this.
  4. “Your story is only told by you.” Never heard this one before. Great quote.

5. “You don’t need anybody than yourself for being happy.” This is somewhat true. Although loneliness can be harmful? No?

Or is loneliness just bad company to yourself?

6. PeaceOnEarth108

PeaceOnEarth108 Fapstronaut

yes, I think that confusion is harmful, not loneliness itself.
    I agree, one could call loneliness bad company to oneself, very nice.

ThrillClass likes this.
  7. Do you lack a social life because you are shy, or are you shy because you have no social life? Social interactions feel risky to many people, and this is only reinforced if you never practice them or get comfortable in these settings. The isolation can be self-perpetuating. I know this because I had some periods in my life when I avoided these things. And that made it even harder to think about going out. I had low-level anxiety thinking about it.

A social life doesn't have to be clubbing or spending an entire weekend in bars. Something simple like watching a movie at a friend's house, or meeting a few friends for brunch at a diner would count too.

Shyness is often rooted in fear of some kind. I think it's different from being an introvert, where too much time with other people just exhausts you. Many of us are introverts who need a lot of time alone to recharge. That's OK. But this doesn't mean we can't have friends and occasional social activities. Let's say once every week or two you get together with some people for a few hours. These things build support and connection and confidence, and they can just be fun too.

On a more practical level, when it comes to careers, social skills are very important in many jobs. You limit yourself if you are too uncomfortable in these situations. I don't know you, but my advice would be that moving out of your comfort zone and finding a modest social life would be a good idea. It can be small-scale. I'm not talking about becoming the life of the party. But who knows, maybe that will happen! It's a journey. Good luck in any case.

Rocky Mountain and ThrillClass like this.
  8. Thanks for the advice.

9. Speaking from personal experience:

It will suck later on. At first you may think you are fine alone. You will get lonewolf vibes. But slowly and slowly you will forget how to initiate a conversation with someone or how to continue a conversation. I was a shy one too and I spent about 4years alone( no friends, no gf). Things got so bad later on that I developed social anxiety. I tried to avoid any form of talking and I was even afraid to order a burger at McDonalds.
    I am now working on myself and my social skills. I don't have any real life friends but I talk to 2 people on social media. Slowly I will take another step into real face to face talking skills.

I suggest you to work on yourself. The sooner you find somebody to talk to the better. It can be anybody a friend or a girl friend. But having a person is important.

10. CrimsnBlade

CrimsnBlade Fapstronaut

HardReset and ThrillClass like this.
  11. Yeah, this is sorta the problem I have. I can order food and do normal people stuff, but actually socializing and initiating conversations with people is the hard part.

12. Its not good for your mental health. Maybe make it a personal goal to meet more people. I went from 100+ friends to 0 when I turned mentally ill. I thought all of them disappeared for good until I several years later started contacting people again. I am an introvert by nature but even introverts need people to connect with.

Real life connections will eventually make you quit PMO. Thats what PMO is. Its the only thing that gives you comfort. Much like a drug addict finds comfort in getting high.

Recently I went from absolute 0 contacts to around 20. All my friends didn't leave me. They just waited for me to come around some day. I have been on dates and I have met friends. I have never been closer to having a girlfriend. Turned down sex once with a good female friend because I like another girl. Not that I didn't want to but I didn't want to make it complicated.

But I keep my options open. I need to meet more people and I have already suffered being rejected by a girl I like. I was blind and didn't see her bad sides so my radar is a little off. Many fish in the sea though and right now I am dating two girls every now and then. Nothing too serious yet but I like hanging with them and the girl I like the most introduced me to her mother and we kissed once.

Humans and women are complicated but you will learn how to deal with it. Quit PMO today and find yourself some hobbies.

ThrillClass likes this.
  13. I see what you mean. Thanks for the advice.

NF SINCE BIRTH likes this.
  14. PMO and Prostitution Addiction kills your drive to want to meet people and socialize because you have already fulfilled your biological needs and desires. The opposite of addiction is connection.

15. Not having a social life isn’t good for your mental health at all. I would recommend outdoor hobbies or something. Having no social life only increases the chance that your going to PMO.

16. Social life, finding pleasure in hobbies like martial arts, sports, working out, running, meditating, reading. It all pulls you in the right direction. Ever read the compound effect? Every little action no matter how small compounded over time makes a great difference.

ThrillClass likes this.
  17. Having a social life will make you happier and less time for destructive addictions. Addictions like PMO, Alcohol, Drugs, Smoking, Sex, Video Games, TV, Social Media, Gambling, Prostitution, Internet, Caffeine, Sugar, and YouTube. Lead to low dopamine sensitivity when abused. Addictions like Music and Shopping can lead to Low dopamine sensitivity as well, but when used in moderation won’t. Low dopamine sensitivity is the following:
    • Lack of motivation
    • Fatigue
    • Apathy
    • Procrastination
    • Inability to feel pleasure
    • Low libido
    • Inability to connect with others
    • Sleep problems
    • Mood swings
    • Hopelessness
    • Memory loss
    • Inability to concentrate
    • Inability to complete tasks
    • Engaging in self-destructive behaviors, especially addictions
    If you don't establish sources of fulfillment and natural pleasure in your life, you'll inevitably be drawn back to instantly-gratifying behaviors and activities. Hobbies let you explore interests outside of your line of work. They let you be creative and try all kinds of new things. By building your life around meaningful sources of enjoyment (delayed gratification) instead of empty ones (instant gratification), you can greatly increase your quality of life.

If you drink a lot of water, get regular exercise, healthy eating, responsible financial planning, career planning, social life, healthy hobbies, and sensible bedtime. You will feel a lot better about yourself and more confident.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2021
    ThrillClass likes this.
  18. This is interesting information. Although my problem is more social skills than low dopamine sensitivity. This is however good advice, thanks.

SaveMeBeforeIFall likes this.
  19. SaiyanWarrior

SaiyanWarrior Fapstronaut

You're like Bruce Wayne aka Batman. Now make use of your loneliness like he did.

20. Timecop

Timecop Fapstronaut

You get depressed seeing others having fun together because you probably want this life aswell, but your shyness prevents you from taking action.

You could see a therapist and talk about your shyness.

There is also the trick of: Go in a place of fear, and fear will go away.