1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I dont want to lift anymore

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Deleted Account, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Honestly i am tired of gyms and lifting in those stuffy buildings, do you guys think i can build a solid body from just pushups, situps, and squats most days of the week?, i want to build a body that will last even when i am 90, and i know its possible because my friend is almost 80 and has an insane body from daily running and the fact that he bikes everywhere he goes. Now i do not expect to be ripped at 90 but i know you lose muscle over time naturally as you age, i do not want to be like my neighbor whos only like 70 hunched over and hardly able to even mow the lawn.

exsoldier likes this.
  2. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

How long have you been lifting without taking a break? It's OK and even advised to back off for a period if you've been going at it several times a week for weeks at a time. It's called deloading and there are various approaches ranging from not lifting at all to lifting fewer days/sets/reps and/or backing off the weight. I'd recommend a week or so of that and see if your motivation comes back. Don't give up weights altogether just because your motivation is down at the moment.

3. Urge Surfer

Urge Surfer Fapstronaut

Our bodies evolved to be active, to walk , to run, to pull, push lift etc
    Today's world is full of labor saving devices.
    I try to walk wherever it is practical to do so, if I can't walk then I cycle and I run regularly. If it is just a couple of bags of shopping ,don't take the car, walk and carry them home. Basically where possible take the harder option , use the stairs not the lift, get outside in the garden if you have one and dig and prune and cut grass and make a gate and paint fences etc
    I just turned 50 and actually have just started to add in weight training in order to stave off age related degeneration. I was an endurance guy but am starting to question whether that's the best approach to long term good health.
    I do agree though , those gyms are not very appealing so I have got myself some weights at home and I just put on some good motivational music and just do it because I know its doing it me good.
    Maybe if you've been doing the same thing for a long time you just need to mix it up a bit. I'm sure you will figure it out...good luck

FearMyDiscipline likes this.
  4. Have not been back in like 3 months

5. Zephon

Zephon Fapstronaut

You lose muscles when you stop with your gym. Keep it up, when you see it works for you. And to get a solid body you have to do more than just pushups, situps and squats. You have to do variations of it. For example, beside regular pushups you can do diamond pushups, decline pushups etc. they are listed on this picture:
    [​IMG]
    or check out this video:
    With variations the muscles can better develop because they get stressed on different ways.

And don't worry about the age, don't think about it what could happen in the future when you get 80 or 90 years old. Important is what you do right now! The present you live is important right now. Make the best of it so that you can say later "Yep I did that in the past and I'm still damned good at it!" or even if you can't do it anymore because of the age, an accident etc. you can say "I did it in the past, and it was great, that was my life when I was young!"

Chris_Cactusblossom likes this.
  6. Okay buddy boy let me give you some options on what you can do.

My number 1 recommendation;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008C2MRUO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_F4J8FbB3NV2E8

This has helped me with my musle development where they feel so hard, toned and noticed by a lot of people. You won't look like Arnold but you get get a physique of Eugene Sandow & Bobby Pandour, with after they did that they've done a strength builder exercise so you can pick a short one you like with either Kettlbells, chest expander or a Power Twister to help build strength. If you are interested?

Also

Done this for a short bit but the heavy hands exercises of;

For about 5 rounds
    &

For 10 minutes of each level with heavy hands, then finishing off with level 1 till I get back to my flat.
    This is suppose to mix in cardio with muscle endurance so you can build muscle whilst doing cardio.
    With both I burned around 700 or over 800 depending on some days with effort, though working on my effort with the 2 to get more out of it. I feel this would be a good option for you to.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Chris_Cactusblossom likes this.
  7. CrimsnBlade

CrimsnBlade Fapstronaut

Are you just tired of lifting or are you tired of being in the gym? From your first comment it sounded like you just don't like going to the buildings. You can build your own home gym that's good for lifting if you think that would be easier. That's what I did, I have the bare minimum in my garage and I just use that. Barbell, rack, and some plates.

BillyBobBoBoBo likes this.
  8. DuckofDeath

DuckofDeath Fapstronaut

Are you specifically tired of lifting weights, or are you just sick of fitness/exercise in general?

I love exercising, but personally I've never been able to stick to a consistent lifting routine. I just find it kind of boring, and on top of that, the gym at my workplace is usually pretty busy after the shift, meaning I have to wait to use the squat rack, bench press etc. It's easy to start skipping workouts when you're standing in line to do sets of something you don't have a passion for.

If you like exercising, just not lifting, consider doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or another martial art. It's a lot more interesting than pumping iron, and you make a lot of friends. Girl's find it attractive too :) I do BJJ and although it will never have me looking like a body builder, it keeps me trim and fit (six pack etc.) in my early thirties. Consider it if gyms are open where you're at.

9. @BravelyKegger If you're still here:

Lifting is lame. This is the routine you are looking for. Called the Recommended Routine from the subreddit r/Bodyweightfitness. This is a strength program with no equipment or weights. (2) kb/recommended_routine - bodyweightfitness (reddit.com) If this is too easy then you can build your own intermediate/advanced routine here: (2) training_guide - bodyweightfitness (reddit.com)

The basic format is broken down into movements: Vertical Pull (pull ups, etc.), Vertical Push (Dips, Handstand Push Ups), Horizontal Pull (Rows, Levers), Horizontal Push (Push Ups, Planche), Squat (Squatting, duh), and Hinge (Reverse Leg Extension, Hip Thrust, etc.), as well as core work, mobility, and stretching. I did this for 2 or 3 months and got very strong very fast. Definitely got bigger too, even though that wasn't my goal.

So yes, bodyweight stuff can get you jacked, and it is more fun and impressive for the ladies.

10. Anti-Hero

Anti-Hero Fapstronaut

Zephon and exsoldier like this.
  11. I paid for one and loved it. When I pay for something, it makes me care about it more.

12. Zephon

Zephon Fapstronaut

Depends on quality and how he teaches it but there are so many exercises and tips of workouts for free they help you too as well.