1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Person Cars

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by RecoveringFapaholic, Jan 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RecoveringFapaholic

RecoveringFapaholic Fapstronaut

I'm an 18 year-old looking to save up for my first car. After researching a lot of cars, I came to the conclusion that large sedans (i.e. old person cars) are the best. They offer the best blend of performance, practicality, and affordability you can get in a vehicle. You can get used Ford Crown Victoria or Chevy Impala police cars for well under 10 grand. The only major downside to them is they're thirsty for gas. Watch this video I found on YouTube on why old person cars are so great.

My dad bought a 2001 Lincoln Continental when he was only 39. My mom was embarrassed that he got a grandpa car at such a young age. It was well worth it as he put roughly 250K miles in it before getting a Prius (another reliable car). All this being said, I'm not getting an old person car due to the poor fuel economy. I'll probably get a smaller-size sedan or hatchback.

2. My husband bought an old man car for like 2,000 bucks yearssss ago, and it's still movin.

3. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Get into an accident in an old car; you come out fine, while the other [newer] car becomes a hunk of metal. It's nice considering newer cars aren't as popular where I live.

4. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

5. I bought my Deville from an old person. It was crimson red, beautiful beige leather, and 80k original miles for under $4k. It drove so smooth and the seats were incredibly comfortable. It's what God would drive.

LEPAGE likes this.
  6. SilentJay313

SilentJay313 Fapstronaut

I currently own a old police car(2006 Ford Crown Victoria P.I.), and this damn thing is pretty reliable. It does scare the daylights out of people, but i didn't buy it for that purpose. Of course it does suck up gas like crazy(17-18mpg in the city, 24-26mpg on the highway depending on how i drive it) compared to cars with smaller engines(my car has a 4.6L V8 and a 20 gallon fuel tank), but it's a comfortable car that can easily be fixed if something goes wrong.

Brooklyn Jerry 70 likes this.
  7. RecoveringFapaholic

RecoveringFapaholic Fapstronaut

Thanks for the feedback! My mom doesn't want me to get one of these cars but why should I listen? She has bad taste in cars anyway. After my older sister totaled her Prius, she bought a used VW EOS as her mid-life crisis car. It was fun at first but not very practical. There were only two doors and my sister always made be sit in the back. Sitting in that cramped back row when you're 6' 3" isn't fun at all. Getting out from the backseat was especially a challenge as the person in the front seat had to first get out and then push their seat forward before I could stretch my way out. The A/C hardly worked (which sucks when you live in Florida) and we never had it fixed because it cost too much. I wrecked it last summer by crashing into the neighbor's mailbox. A hose was dislodged which caused the engine to overheat and the car was destroyed. My mom got a fugly Nissan Juke to replace it. It's far from perfect, but at least it's more practical and has functioning A/C.

8. emmanuilteleshev

emmanuilteleshev Fapstronaut

Ford Crown Victoria is anything but an old man's car, that's a legend. I have actually been considering to get one. I looked online but the prices were just ridiculous. I have decided to visit scrap yards instead. I have found a decent one at https://www.scrapi.com/scrap-my-car-birmingham. It'll be shipped to me next week approximately. I have been busy buying parts to start the restoring process. I have a few friends who are car enthusiasts and pretty good mechanics they agreed to help. I also think about starting a youtube channel to document and share the progress.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    LEPAGE and WOODROW like this.
  9. WOODROW

WOODROW Fapstronaut

Wish I had a crown Victoria..love to rev engine!

emmanuilteleshev and LEPAGE like this.
  10. WOODROW

WOODROW Fapstronaut

Can anyone tell me more about their reving and hot roding?

11. CharlieWex

CharlieWex Fapstronaut

You are wrong, you can buy a car using car shipping, from another country. This car will be better assembled as well. For example a Honda will cost you less than ten thousand dollars. Nowadays, car shipping is a very popular service. Intelligent people know that it is much more profitable and reliable to buy a car in the country of manufacture. You can read the information on this subject on this site https://transportgator.com/auto-transport-companies/. Personally I found it very useful to read and change my mind before buying a car. I think this information will help you, as it did me.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  12. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

Not to hijack the thread, but while we're talking about it does anyone know if a diesel engine will save money over time? They're more expensive and fuel is more expensive but supposedly they get great gas milage.

Dignan likes this.
  13. Dignan

Dignan Fapstronaut

I believe they do last longer. Mercedes 300Ds are legendary for how long they last. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM617_engine

14. GripStrength

GripStrength Fapstronaut

I absolutely love four door large cars. And I always have since a young child. Always go with what you like. Who cares what anyone thinks. If you drive like a grandpa they are usually not super super bad on gas. Personally I am a huge Buick fan. But have always like older cadillacs too. And Lincoln’s. If you’re into modifying cars for speed they are great bases with usually bigger engines and older one’s with rear wheel drive and full frames. The Buick 3.8 is a very strong engine and if you get “newer” (early 2000ish) model regals or rivieras you could get a super charged one for very cheap and do very cheap, minor and simple part swaps and get a very fast car. All in all. I love them. Love the way they look. Love the drive, the comfortability, love the look, everything. The are the best, hands down in my eyes. And the coolest

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  15. GripStrength

GripStrength Fapstronaut

Get a four door boat, they are the best! Never listen to anyone! Go with what you like and want[/QUOTE]

16. GripStrength

GripStrength Fapstronaut

One thing to watch out for though is the Cadillac front wheel drive v8 North Star models are not very reliable engines. Head gaskets and things like that go all the time. I’d go Buick all day. But I am biased

17. GripStrength

GripStrength Fapstronaut

Chevy caprices are very good and Chevy 350s are very strong and tons of after market parts for them. Cheapest engines to upgrade hands down. Chevy 305s as well

18. WOODROW

WOODROW Fapstronaut

Do they have carburetors or fuel Injection?

19. GripStrength

GripStrength Fapstronaut

it’s depends on the year and model. Anything in the 90s and newer will be fuel injected.

WOODROW likes this.
  20. WOODROW

WOODROW Fapstronaut

do like cars with carburetors?