1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Push-Up Daily Challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Superman#, Apr 2, 2020.

1. palindromo

palindromo Fapstronaut

for me too , in every exercise! who knows why?!? i think right arm is instead better in resistance because we utilize it more.

BurgerChamp and Divine By Design like this.
  2. Zephon

Zephon Fapstronaut

I think in my case the preperations I did before works better and better for mastering one-arm-pushups. But I'll continue with it!

BurgerChamp and palindromo like this.
  3. So copied and pasted from the "Lost secret to a great body book"

"Push-Ups I have called this classic exercise a “push up” as opposed to a “press up”, as it’s more often referred to in the UK, because I want to avoid people thinking of it as a “pressing” movement and therefore similar to the movement involved in weightlifting’s bench press. Everyone is familiar with this exercise and will probably be surprised to see a detailed description on how to do it correctly that spans several pages. The thing is the way we do it today is radically different to how the Physical Culturists of the late nineteenth Century did it. Sandow, Attila, Treloar, Strongfort and Moss all included this exercise in their courses as did many others but none of them called it the push up or press up. Mostly they didn’t call it anything at all and just described the movement or if they did give it a name they referred to the exercise a “dipping” or “floor Dips”.

Interestingly, Attila recommended ten reps, Treloar ten to twenty-five reps and Sandow said do as many as possible in his book but in his guidelines for numbers in the chart at the end he recommends starting at three! Furthermore all of them describe the exercise as being a movement designed to target the serratus muscles, the latissimus dorsi of the back and the triceps with the pectorals involved secondarily. Today we routinely do press-ups in sets of thirty, fifty or one hundred and everyone will tell you they are predominantly a chest exercise with secondary involvement of the deltoids (mainly front deltoids) and triceps. These old fashioned guys are telling us press-ups are for the back, the sides and the triceps and we should only do three or ten or twenty?!!! Clearly they were all ridiculously weak and didn’t know what they were talking about - OR WE’RE TALKING ABOUT A TOTALLY DIFFERENT EXERSCISE THAN THE ONE WE’RE FAMILIAR WITH TODAY. Back in the 1890s - 1900s the bench press was not even a movement that had been popularised among weightlifters. Now it’s so ubiquitous that we look at a press up as just an inferior bodyweight version of the bench press and an exercise that will target the same muscles - chest, shoulders, and arms.

The exercise described here, as a “Push up” is different. It will hit the muscles of the back, the side ribs and the triceps first and foremost and the chest secondarily. You will enhance the effect on the target muscles with self-generated muscular contraction and use slight adjustments of leverage and position to make the exercise harder. When done properly sets of between ten and thirty reps should be very challenging. Support yourself on your palms with body held perfectly straight, core engaged in the same way as during the sit-ups and most importantly the shoulders back and down with the shoulder blades flat. Keep the head in line with the spine and the eyes looking down at the floor. Every muscle in the body should be alive and engaged (fig 48)
    fig 48 CORRECT
    Do not incline the head upwards, hollow the chest and round the back, pushing the shoulders forward out of position (fig 49)

fig 49 INCORRECT
    Do not lock the arms and then allow the weight to “sit” in them passively winging out the scapula in the back. (fig 49a)
    fig 49a INCORRECT
    Slowly lower your perfectly straight body down towards the floor keeping the back flat. Strongly engage the muscles in the back and triceps and feel like you’re pulling the floor towards you actively instead of passively dropping into the lower position. Hold for a split second at the bottom (fig 50)

fig 50 Push back to the top position strongly contracting the triceps, the serratus muscles over the ribs and the muscles of the back as you push the floor away from you. The pectoral muscles will of course be strongly involved but don’t stress their action, as this will cause you to round the back and over extend the shoulders as in (fig 49) concentrate instead on the muscles of the back and triceps and on holding exactly the right posture. KEEP THE SCAPULAE IN THEIR NATURAL POSITION AND AVOID BOTH LATERAL ROTATION AND WINGING. Make sure the weight is in the palms and only slightly in the toes - get as much of the body weight into the arms as possible by pushing forward slightly off the toes and as you get better at the exercise try taking your nose further forward with each rep.

To make the exercise harder still you can raise one leg and keep it raised and perfectly straight throughout the exercise. Do the exercise at a slow and even cadence of about one and a half seconds down and one and a half seconds up, breathing out on the way down and in on the way up (as in the sit-ups the breathing pattern is counter intuitive and opposite to what many feel is normal today based on the action of exhaling as you press a heavy weight) In the most advanced version you can lower yourself as normal then transfer 70 percent of your weight into one arm so that as you push up that arm does most of the work. Even out the weight again at the top and lower then shift most of the weight into the other arm and push up again with that arm taking most of the strain. Alternate at the same cadence for up to twenty reps or so. This is easier than a one armed press up but much more challenging than the normal version - it allows you to approach the level of tension and muscle involvement you might get from a one armed press up but you can do more and keep going for longer thus increasing the muscle’s time under tension."

So I am wondering weather to do a super set with the one legged raised then push-ups or do all 3?

What would you guys recommend?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Zephon, BurgerChamp and palindromo like this.
  4. Did 10 one leg raised push-up on each side and 10 of my regular push-ups, then did 10 of my regular ones again later on in total of 40and boy it was a little tricky. Though I did give myself some breaks in between each so it helped and debating to wait till I can do 3 10s without much rest or give myself the rest in between especially when I get to the big numbers. As also debating if I should add the 1 arm push-ups as well or wait till I can get 30 on each first.

BurgerChamp, palindromo and Zephon like this.
  5. 30/12/2020

Did this today

Of 10 minutes on each level with the cool down bring just level 1. I need to work on walking normally through out it as at times it feels like I'm walking like a robot.

6. Divine By Design

Divine By Design Fapstronaut

35 squats
    20 pushups
    15 walking lunges per leg
    20 dumbbell rows per arm
    140s plank
    50 jumping jacks
    30 situps

7. palindromo

palindromo Fapstronaut

8. palindromo

palindromo Fapstronaut

Maybe all 3 , check if it is too much . A daily work out should not exceed 45 min-1 hours , according to me

BurgerChamp and BillyBobBoBoBo like this.
  9. Ngo27

Ngo27 Fapstronaut

10 yesterday and 20 today

90/150 push ups

10. Divine By Design

40 squats
    20 pushups
    25 dumbbell rows per arm
    140s plank
    60 jumping jacks
    30 situps

+

60 squats
    10 pushups
    180s plank

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  11. Well I struggle a bit with doing 2 so I think I'll work on a leg raised super set with regular. Will stick with that till I feel I can do more.

12. Roffelaar

Roffelaar Fapstronaut

Did three sets of 10 push-ups
    Then did unlimited push-ups and managed to do 45
    2 minute rest
    Then did Bring Sally up push-up challenge and got to 1:41

13. 31/12/2020

Did my W.A.T.C.H protocol with no weights, just clenching my fists, to do 1 set of;

1.Alternating Dumbbell Curls (20 goal 60)

2.Alternating Reverse Dumbbell Curls (10 goal 60)

3.Alternating Crucifix Dumbbell Curls (10 goal 30)

4.Simultaneous Crucifix Dumbbell Curls(10 goal 30)

5.Standing Dumbbell Pectoral Fly’s (10 goal 30)

6.Alternating Dumbbell Presses (10 goal 30)

7.Alternating Dumbbell Front Raises (10 goal 30)

8.Simultaneous Arm Circles (10 goal 30)

9.Don't know the name of this, just that it was done by Al Treloar's. Where I had to stand fully strait up with my my arms fully reached out over my head in hammer position, to then (with my legs are fully locked straight when doing this) have my upper body bending over to 45 degrees with my dumbbells switching to over hand positiom then to go back up & then my hand position going back to hammer position.

A visual can be seen here on page 7

https://spartantraining.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/treloarscience.pdf

(10 goal 30)

10.Standing Rear Delt Flyes head on the bench (10 goal 30)

11.Dumbbell Wrist Circles 1 (Clockwise) (10 goal 30)

12.Dumbbell Wrist Circles 2 (Anti-clockwise) (10 goal 30)

13.Dumbbell Punching Movement (10 goal 30)

14.Dumbbell Good Morning Deadlift (q0 goal 30)

15.Dumbbell Shrugs (10 goal 30)

16.Dumbbell Crossovers (10 goal 30)

17.Dumbbell Side Bends (10 goal 30)

18.Simultaneous Dumbbell Back Extensions (10 goal 30)

19.Ski Ski Jumper (10 goal 30)

20.Calf Raises x 3 (20 x 3 = 60 debating weather to make it 30 each)

21.Toe Raises (60 out of 60)

22.Deep Knee Bend On Toes (10 goal 30)

23.Goblet squat (10 goal 30)

24.One Legged Squat (6 goal 6 getting lower 9 the squat)

25.Straight Legged Sit-Ups (10 goal 30)

26.Leg Raises Hyperextensions (10 goal 30)

27. Hyperestensions (10 goal 30)

28.One leg Push-Ups (10 on each leg, goal 30) Super set it with regular push-ups (10 goal 30)

Decided to get back into it with just focus on my MTMC & Ma which went really well.

Also did this after, but only half way as I didn't want to do jumping part to ditirbe the shop down stairs.

14. palindromo

palindromo Fapstronaut

15. I’m back with 21 boys! Happy new year!

16. Divine By Design

40 squats
    20 pushups
    25 dumbbell rows per arm
    180s plank
    60 jumping jacks
    50 situps

+

40 squats
    20 pushups
    140s plank
    30 situps

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  17. 01/01/2021

Did my W.A.T.C.H protocol with 2kg weights, to do 1 set of;

1.Alternating Dumbbell Curls (20 goal 60)

2.Alternating Reverse Dumbbell Curls (10 goal 60)

3.Alternating Crucifix Dumbbell Curls (10 goal 30)

4.Simultaneous Crucifix Dumbbell Curls(10 goal 30)

5.Standing Dumbbell Pectoral Fly’s (10 goal 30)

6.Alternating Dumbbell Presses (10 goal 30)

7.Alternating Dumbbell Front Raises (10 goal 30)

8.Simultaneous Arm Circles (10 goal 30)

9.Don't know the name of this, just that it was done by Al Treloar's. Where I had to stand fully strait up with my my arms fully reached out over my head in hammer position, to then (with my legs are fully locked straight when doing this) have my upper body bending over to 45 degrees with my dumbbells switching to over hand positiom then to go back up & then my hand position going back to hammer position.

A visual can be seen here on page 7

https://spartantraining.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/treloarscience.pdf

(10 goal 30)

10.Standing Rear Delt Flyes head on the bench (10 goal 30)

11.Dumbbell Wrist Circles 1 (Clockwise) (10 goal 30)

12.Dumbbell Wrist Circles 2 (Anti-clockwise) (10 goal 30)

13.Dumbbell Punching Movement (10 goal 30)

14.Dumbbell Good Morning Deadlift (q0 goal 30)

15.Dumbbell Shrugs (10 goal 30)

16.Dumbbell Crossovers (10 goal 30)

17.Dumbbell Side Bends (10 goal 30)

18.Simultaneous Dumbbell Back Extensions (10 goal 30)

19.Ski Ski Jumper (10 goal 30)

20.Calf Raises x 3 (20 x 3 = 60 debating weather to make it 30 each)

21.Toe Raises (60 out of 60)

22.Deep Knee Bend On Toes (10 goal 30)

23.Goblet squat (10 goal 30)

24.One Legged Squat (6 goal 6 getting lower 9 the squat)

25.Straight Legged Sit-Ups (10 goal 30)

26.Leg Raises Hyperextensions (10 goal 30)

27. Hyperestensions (10 goal 30)

28.One leg Push-Ups (10 on each leg, goal 30) Super set it with regular push-ups (10 goal 30)

Girst day back an honestly surprised how heavy 2kg felt compared to 1kg, though I feel excited as of getting good results from 1kg, can't wait to see from 2kg.

I didn't do anything else as I didn't have enough time as was being a bit more lazier today then I wanted to be. But will try and do more tomorrow. Either with heavy hands or Kettlbells
    & squat assisted pull/chin-ups I plan to try out.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  18. palindromo

palindromo Fapstronaut

19. 25 pushups today and I hiked 2 miles with a couple sprints to get out of the rain

20. BurgerChamp

BurgerChamp Fapstronaut

48 pushups. It sucks starting with the wrong form again :c