1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

what helped me get more into the bible

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. I have been a christian most of my life and i never really read my bible at all, this is a problem that seems to plague most christians today, and what a real shame it is. The bible is indeed Gods word, everything in the bible is correct and from God himself, there is nothing in the bible that God did not allow. So how did i get into the bible?, well for me it was in bootcamp, the immense pressure and anxiety i felt was crippling almost, my one true relief from the nightmare was my bible, and the church. I felt such deep emotions there, i cried almost every time i went God really showed me his comfort and love. I am not a huge reader by any means, i prefer comics and manga over just words, i am more of a visual person myself, i believe that to get into the bible its very important that you start from the beginning, you do not have to read past that just yet, just start with Genesis, and after that i recommend going straight to the new testament and starting there, i find the new testament to be a way easier read and in a way i can apply it better to my life, the message throughout the bible is of course very much the same but i find the new testament an easier read. I HIGHLY recommend finding a good church that stands firm in the bibles teachings, not some luke warm one like the mega churches. Surround yourself with other believers, youtube is a great resource and you can learn much from online. I strongly recommend Dr Neil Anderson, he is the person i believe who really helped open my eyes to God, he is very very intelligent but does not take himself to seriously and is extremely humble, the stories he tells are just mind blowing, so please check him out. I hope this helps guys, but honestly the real answer is just read it, there are ways like i said that can make it easier but you just have to do it every day, someone once said that at first the word is dull and tasteless, but eventually it becomes sweet like honey, i personally can testify to that. Oh and get a good study bible, i swear it makes all the difference, its like having the internet on paper in front of you answering all your questions, i have the esv study bible which i highly recommend.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2021
  2. mediocrellama

mediocrellama Fapstronaut

Great post! thank you for sharing it.

I think you are totally correct. I fell away from reading the bible over the past few years because I always thought I would be bored by it. But after trying just about anything else, I got back into. Listening to Mark Driscoll also really encouraged me to get back into it. Like you said, its a game changer. It is so much more than just another book. The holy spirit speaks and ministers through it. Something supernatural happens. And the ESV study bible is great. I just got one too and its a game changer. It helps make everything clearer. Especially the OT. I never really understood the full story of Israel until I got into the ESV study Bible now the whole story make sense after reading 2 Chron and now going through Ezra.

Dr. Neil Anderson looks interesting, I am gonna check him out. Thanks for the recommendation.

BravelyKegger and Knighthawk like this.
  3. I am very glad it helped!, and I agree a study bible just helps so much when it comes to understanding difficult books and versus.

mediocrellama likes this.
  4. Thank You for sharing that inspiring story of how the Lord used a very intense and stressful situation to draw you closer to Himself and a local fellowship of believers. This is huge because at those intense trials we are also equally susceptible to turn to the escape of PMO which does not satisfy and does not bring us closer to God. Because you chose God you grew in knowledge, strength, faith and character. I praise God that he accomplished this in your life. You may want to consider sharing this in the success story section.

PS You may want to try the action bible. This is the bible written in graphic novel form with illustrations from a comic book illustrator.

5. Our kids loved the Action Bible! (And, truth be told, so did I. :) )