1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Want to fix up my nutrition and diet. Any good resources or advice?

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by leetspeak, Apr 28, 2020.

1. leetspeak

leetspeak Fapstronaut

As the thread title suggests.

Gina3111 likes this.
  2. False promise

False promise Fapstronaut

what’s your diet like now?

3. Nick:3

Nick:3 Fapstronaut

I would suggest fermented foods (not ones in vinegar though) like saurkraut (fermented cabbage) and live yoghurt, as these contain great bacteria for your gut. Lots of veggies as well (know it sounds obvious), but I wouldn't go vegan or even vegetarian, as animal meats have key nutrients for the body, like i'd recommend steak sometimes, and fish is great for your mind and body, especially salmon. Eggs also contain great nutrients and have a great content of fats and proteins. You want to lower your carb intake, as in society we eat way too many carbs, which messes with our hormones, energy, and insulin levels, which can cause depression and energy highs and lows rather than clean energy (although if you're really skinny you can eat a fair amount, as it can be a great way to gain weight, however try and gain it through fats and proteins more). Also ginger is amazingly healthy for you, but make sure you cook it or heat it first, like you can put in hot drinks like green tea.

Angus McGyver likes this.
  4. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

Avoiding unprocessed foods (plus wheat, gluten and added sugars) like the plague and eating lots of natural nutrient-rich whole foods with lots of veggies (and some fruits) will keep your insulin and blood-sugar levels low throughout the day and make you feel full for a long time.
    I can strongly recommend what Dr. Sten Ekberg, a compatriot, holistic doctor and former Olympic decathlete has to say about IM-fasting and diet overall. His advice are very direct and right to the point:

Gina3111, Imwithyoum8 and Nick:3 like this.
  5. redapplecigz

redapplecigz Fapstronaut

This.

pretty much what I follow currently. Avoid sugar, gluten and processed foods. There’s a quote by OG fitness guru Jack Lalanne, he says “If man made it, don’t eat it!”

Stick to:

- Fruits/ Vegetables/Salads
    - Lean unprocessed meats
    - Healthy fats like almonds, walnuts, coconut oil, olive oil, etc.
    - Vegan protein powder
    - Complex carbs like potatoes, brown rice, oatmeal and beans (not canned)

Gina3111 likes this.
  6. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

I do somewhat agree on the first three but keep in mind that saturated animal-fats and fatty meats are not as unhealthy and bad for you as you might think. There has been a huge scaremongering around red meat for the last five decades for no reason, while simultaneously promoting highly inflammatory grains, wheat and products with tons of added sugar.
    The main reason as to why red-meat and overall meat consumption has been linked to red cancer and have gotten such bad publicity has more to do with the heavy processing that goes into the production and preservation of the meat itself.
    Like modern large-scale industrial agriculture where animals are pumped with antibiotics, fed corn and grains which is unnatural nurture to them, then they spray the meat, especially deli-meats with carcinogenic nitrites to sustain their durability. Natural and high-quality organic grass-fed meat is very nutrient-dense and not bad for you, even if it happens to be fatty.

On nuts and seeds I do agree but even here, quality over quantity is essential. Rather eat a few expensive almonds of highest quality than eating a bag of cheap ones with few and diluted nutrients. I consider all carbohydrates who are starch-based (like potatoes, beets, beans, corn-flour, corn, etc) should be consumed in moderation as much of the nutrients can't be absorbed by the human gut/intestines very well and some of them makes you very gassy and bloated too.
    Also remember that starchy foods like potatoes, corn, corn-starches, oats and cereal are insulin and blood-sugar spiking, meaning they will make you hungrier sooner and be easier deposited as fat in your tissues. These are probably amongst the worst foods (together with wheat and sugary products) if you want to stay full and satiated for a long time.
    Brown-rice and sweet-potatoes though, are not as insulin-spiking as regular potatoes and white rice.

Coconut oil is a saturated fat that I consider great and healthy overall. Not only because of its good taste and multiple areas of use within cooking but also because of its many health benefits. This is together with pure butter and lard, the absolutely best oil to fry your food in and can be used in bullet-proof coffee as well. I actually made a bullet-proof coffee last week with butter and it tasted almost as good as that with coconut oil actually.
    Olive oil should never be used for frying (as many toxic and carcinogenic aldehydes form when it's heated) but works great if used raw in dressings and salads.

Because of the human gut's inability to properly process and absorb the nutrients from many plant-based foods, I would be very careful with protein-powders that are not based on natural animal products.
    I would be careful with protein-powders overall, not only because it is literally a jungle and mess where it is hard to pick the right one for you. As I already get enough protein in my diet these days

brassknucks likes this.
  7. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

I would highly recommend the book "Bigger Leaner Stronger" by Mike Matthews. While the title and main focus of the book has to do with weight training, he spends a lot of pages talking about diet and nutrition overall. He goes step by step through how to compute your ideal # of daily calories and what percentage of your daily diet should be proteins, carbs and fats. He even has meal plans available for free telling you day by day what to eat and in what quantities, if you want to take it that far. I had done a lot of research and experimentation on my own but then someone (a fellow Fapstronaut IIRC) turned me on to that book and it really helped me pull everything together. Combined with the weight training, my body is shaping up nicely (even wifey has commented) and I feel great. I'm always comfortably full throughout the day, I know exactly what's going into my body from day to day, and I'm not breaking the bank on pre-made junk, overpriced protein shakes and power bars, etc.

Gina3111 and leetspeak like this.
  8. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

Intermittent fasting has also worked well for many and there are resources all over the web on that. I'm not a die hard practitioner... usually only doing it the 2 or 3 days a week I'm not working out... but even to that degree I've seen and felt some benefits.

leetspeak likes this.
  9. Imwithyoum8

Imwithyoum8 Fapstronaut

can you get a free pdf of the book for us?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  10. leetspeak

leetspeak Fapstronaut

link? source? where?

Imwithyoum8 likes this.
  11. Imwithyoum8

Imwithyoum8 Fapstronaut

12. Crownyourdreams

Crownyourdreams Fapstronaut

The best thing you can do (and the healthy one) is to go visit your doctor, and ask about a diet. They can change from person to person, you need to know what YOUR body needs more and what will be better for you.
    After that you better to see a nutritionist, which will surely help you! :)

13. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

I paid for the Kindle copy after reading the free preview cause I felt it was worth it. But I know money's tight for a lot of us, so if you got what can help you from a free summary, that's great.

14. CRSG

CRSG Fapstronaut

HIGH QUALITY FOODS I WILL RECOMMEND

RAW MILK//(CLABBERED) -------->>>>> "SEARCH GOOGLE FOR LOCAL RAW MILK FARMS
    RAW MILK KEFIR
    GRASS FED MEAT (ORGANIC CLEAN MEAT) FOUND AT FARMERS MARKETS

ANCIENT GRAIN SPROUTED SOURDOUGH BREADS (khorasan wheat (Kamut), farro, einkorn, and emmer, TEFF. SORGHUM, SPELT

ORGANIC POTATOES

RAW HONEY IS COOL, I PERSONALLY LIKE TO CONSUME RAW FERMENTED HONEY

CLEAN "ORGANIC" FRIUT, CAN BE CONSUMED IF ONE HAS A CRAVING >>>> SEEK LOCAL FRUIT IN SOMEONE'S YARD, IT WILL BE THE CLEANEST. SOME FARMERS AT FARMERS MARKETS GROW CLEAN FRUIT AS WELL

15. brassknucks

brassknucks Fapstronaut

16. DortchRules

DortchRules Fapstronaut

Why didn’t anyone tell me about this some months ago?!

17. Raw milk and raw honey can make the body very sick. Both are considered unsafe because both usually contain bacteria that can make a person very very ill!