1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

It is a sin of pride

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I have been listening to Maria Valtorta's books, "The Poem of the Man God". These books are available in both written and audio forms and they are revelations from Jesus to the writer concerning Christ's time on earth. The revelations are faithful to the gospels and build on them with additional insight. I have found them very helpful in building my understanding of God's will and my love for the Holy Trinity.

Yesterday, I listened to Jesus teaching Judas Iscariot in the early days of the apostles. Christ explained to him that when a person gives up in attempts to cease committing sin they are committing a sin of pride. When we conclude we cannot be cured of sin and give up trying to avoid it, our despair is in our own capability to cease sinning rather than relying on God's infinite mercy and capability to help us.

I see this in so many of my failed attempts to stop PMO. When I had a bit of success, I let slide my practice of daily prayer for help with my addiction. At that point, I was relying on my own strength and of course I failed once again. It is clear to me now that when my prayers are lacking, the temptations feel stronger and I drop my guard against the venial sins of lust which lead to mortal sins.

Clearly, we cannot beat this addiction by ourselves. However, God can do anything and it is essential that we remain close to Him, seek His help and recognize His gifts each and every day. Praying is medicine for our hearts and our souls and we need to partake of it regularly.

2. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

That's right,

It's really a sin of pride to rely only on own strength in this fight. I daubt if without prayer and repentance this addiction can be beaten because it's so simple to come back to pmo after an attempt to fight it and this addiction is for free contrary to alcoholism, drug addiction where you must spend lots of money.
    In the last 10 years I have met (on a forum) only one person who was free from pmo for about 6 years and this person was using only human means - but even in this case the man disappeared from the forum for good and never came back to say ' Hi guys, I'm still free, there is hope'
    Sudden disappearing means rather coming back to pmo.
    I met a few men who got out of pmo and they all deeply believed in God, prayed, went to church, read Scriptures etc.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Roady likes this.
  3. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I find it significant that the Lord's Prayer, given to us by Christ himself contains the words " lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil". Knowing that Christ gave us this prayer and knowing that all things done by Him are well done, the significance of the Lord's prayer cannot be over stated. Also, the prayer is short with no superfluous words - it encompasses the essentials. Clearly, Christ has shown us with this prayer that the need to pray to the Father for help with temptation is a highly important act for all humans.

4. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

And we can add this:

Matthew 26:41

“Watch and pray so that you will not enter into temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak.

If the man would be able to not enter temptation (any temptation to do or think something bad, not only pmo) using only human means like: will power, reading about consequences of entering temptation or stories of people who regularly enter temptation (addicts) etc. then why Christ said so - 'watch and pray' ?
    He would rather have said - increase and exercise your will power, go to a therapist, call someone, go outdoors when tempted, take a cold shower, do sport or anything to distract yourself, do yoga meditation, write a journal, if you are hungry eat something, take some deep breathing ... all these to avoid temptation. But He only said - 'watch and pray'.
    How many Christians do in temptation what Jesus ordered? You can look at this forum or another in the journals and read carefully what disciples of Christ do when experience temptation or urges.

And Christians wonder why God doesn't help them in addictions. Some or many lose faith but ... Did they really listen to God. Did they obey His words? A doctor says to you - take this medicine I prescribe you any time you feel ill ... but when you feel ill you do many things but don't take the medicine or take it irregularly and not enough (below the prescribed dose) and then seeing that your illness still has you, you meet the doctor and say to him - Why didn't you help me? What sort of doctor are you? a quack. You are ineffective. I'll go and see another doctor.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021