1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Inferiority complex for not being good in physics and maths

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Munchausen_Faltered, Jan 24, 2021.

1. In my childhood I was always told that I was very good in studies . This got entrenched in me . I felt like I’m so smart that even very little study will do for me , and it did until my high school. Just to remind myself , I was never a hardworking guy , just managed above average scores. In my high school days study meant only mugging up texts. Only real study was maths that too was partially muged up by me.

Then came the most humiliating two years of my life . I went to senior secondary school, took up physics ,maths and chemistry. I had real desire to be a very smart and intelligent like a scientist. I read the physics book (mechanics basically) and it went all over my head. I liked maths and did it passionately but when I saw my mark sheet after exam ,it was depressing.This went on . Scored below average in class constantly where as all my schooling it was much above average. This gave a blow to my self esteem. I left studying books after just two or three months into senior sec.

There were no good teachers in the state I lived ( surprising ! isn’t it , a whole state with not a single genuine teacher) that’s how it is in remote regions of north east India.
    Whenever exams came I searched youtube videos and somehow passed the exams. Not to say there were students in my class who worked hard all by themselves and got admitted in the reputed Delhi University.

I always thought that since I was so intelligent all my childhood , I should be able to do problems by studying the concept just once . Not being able to achieve this rather extraordinary feat , I got more and more frustrated with myself. In my final exams I scored so low that I was not admitted to any government run colleges. So I dropped a year . Besides I was not able to decide what to pursue in science since I had developed a phobia towards physics and maths. I decided to study Geology.
    Came next year and I was able to take admission in a respected state run college in the neighbouring state .
    After a year into geology I realised that If physics was something too hard for me then Geology was something too easy to suit me . I study physics for my elective subject and I still want to be a physicist but I am very aware that I don’t have the caliber for that . I can love physics classes but still somehow fail to solve physics problems.

I love to hear people talk about physics but find it extremely frightening to do physics .I love to do maths until there is someone explaining it to me and extremely frightening to maths on my own . I am never confident of the answers I get or the way I approach the problems.
    The only thing challenging that I encountered till now in geology is interpreting geological maps. Perhaps because my 3d visualisation is very weak.
    Now my problem is , whenever I hear anything about physics or physicists I feel a great deal of inferiority complex because I can’t do physics or even understand a physics video from popular physics channels. This has led me to disrespect my own major subject.
    I would love to hear any advice on how to cope with the problem.

Akbarmagnus likes this.
  2. Anti-Hero

Anti-Hero Fapstronaut

You have to make a decision - will you try to overcome your genetic disadvantage through extra hard work or quit and look for success in a different domain?

3. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Well that just means you are gifted but not as gifted as you thought and that now you need to discipline yourself and put some extra effort like the rest of the mortals, that's it and nothing else, you can do it.

jcl1990 and Akbarmagnus like this.
  4. Thanks for the reply man .I think you are right . I should try in a field where I can Excel and not struggle.

5. Wow man , You summed it up beautifully.

Akbarmagnus likes this.
  6. Nº 9

Nº 9 Fapstronaut

Wow! You Indu people are sooo smart!

Buddy, I can't do a divison of two digits without a calculator, but I read your story and I feel happy for you, because you are so gifted! And you are here telling me that you feel inferior when other person talk about physics, WTF, why cant you feel happy and grateful for them?

Vanity is a great deal among intelligent people.

If you compare yourself with other people there is always going to be a lot of people better than you. If you read what you just write you are going to find out that it is so silly and vain...

Akbarmagnus likes this.
  7. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

I can guarantee you something, you will find struggles down the road, no matter wich road you take, you can a) tackle them, and overcome them, that's what dedication is, or b) avoid them and start over on a different road...

In my opinion, if you like physics, tackle it, will be hard? Surely, will you feel much better on each step you move forward towards your goal? Absolutely.

Where there is struggle, there is room for growth, and get closer to your real potential, if not, you are just like an engine running at 70% of it's capacity because the stress or running at 100% seems too hard, the difference is, humans, unlike an engine, after running at 100% for some time, that 100% will become their 90%...and so forth...

Don't give up, giving up when you find struggles in the road of something you like, leads to resentment of "what you could have been"...

That's just my two cents, because my experience is quite similar, and that's the piece of advice I can give you after, "changing roads" a bunch of times.

People with dedication surpass gifted people quite often, and gifted people with dedication make history happen.

Akbarmagnus likes this.
  8. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

Im also not good at phisics neither math and i dont care im happy with that, miss one year of school because of math and it was amazing!!! It intruduced me to my warmongering lifestyle that i love sooo much

9. Yeah I kind of had that crisis for a while. I was told very early that I was good at math, which influenced my decision to major in it. But now I've come to appreciate the subject, as I think that it is actually very deep and interesting, if you can set aside the sheer difficulty of it. Some people are naturally gifted at mathematical reasoning but I'm starting to doubt that I'm one of those people. But if you just can't like it no matter how much you try, then there is no shame in admitting that.

10. Anti-Hero

Anti-Hero Fapstronaut

@FellatiousD you're a math major? I would never have guessed.

11. Actuarial math, not pure math. What would your guess have been?

12. Navier

Navier Fapstronaut

I can very much relate to this feeling, used to be told I was extremely intelligent and it kind of grew in my mind, leading me to think I could just breeze through most academic challenges that I would face.

It's a rough wake up call when you realize you are smart, but not as smart as you thought. In the long run though it's a very liberating thing to accept: you're capable and smart, and that's not nothing. You can achieve a whole lot through some hard work, even without being a genius.

Munchausen likes this.
  13. FirefromAbove

FirefromAbove Fapstronaut

I hate math. It makes my head swim, but I have no interest in a math related field.

14. That's why the calculator exists

15. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

Larry McMurtry was a young, smart guy from Texas. He went to a prestigious University in Houston, the biggest city in his state, and he took a calculus class. He failed. Next he took a creative writing class. One semester is not enough to write a novel, all he did for the coursework was write the outline and a few chapters, but after he was done he figured why not finish? So he finished writing the book. Then he thought, why not publish? He sent the manuscript off to a few places, one picked him up. Later that year the New Yorker, the US's most elite publication on high culture, said he was one of the most promising new voices in literature. He kept writing, his books were licked up for screenplays for art films, which won Oscar awards. He wrote the screenplay to translate Annie Prolux's story "Brokeback Mountain" into film. He was always critical of Texan authors who wrote about cowboys, correctly saying Texas is barely about cowboys anymore, but when he wrote about cowboys it became a huge phenomena. It's called "The Lonesome Dove," it's relatively famous. I'm a writer. I've spent a lot of money and a lot of time writing, I've met a lot of other writers and researched the industry quite a bit, and I can tell you, his story of success is just absurd. 90% of the people who get it in their head to write a novel never finish. 90% of the people who finish don't get published. 99.999% of those who get published don't get written up by the New Yorker, and they don't get Oscars, and they don't keep producing brilliant work all the time. The man is a literary genius. But he can't do calculus.

I don't know if you can write. Maybe that's not your thing, maybe you can weld. Or organize, or something else, who knows? You know math isn't your thing, but you could be brilliant at something else. Keep exploring, find your thing. You'll be fine.