1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Book Recs

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Daggertail19, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Daggertail19

Daggertail19 Fapstronaut

Hello all,

Does anyone have any good book recs? I'm mostly looking for fictional books, they can be a series or a stand alone book

One trilogy that I read over quarantine was the Red Rising trilogy, and I recommend it to everyone that enjoys fictional books! If you like game of thrones, and you like space, you will love it.

Put your recs below, feel free to discuss anything else about books too!

2. Navier

Navier Fapstronaut

My reccomendation: Solaris, by Stanislaw Lem

Short sci-fi book, on some mysterious events on a sentient planet. Cool concept and poses some interesting questions.

Heard the movie was trash but the book surely isn't

Daggertail19 likes this.
  3. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

For fantasy, I would recommend The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Perhaps not the deepest books but they are entertaining first and foremost. If you prefer more complexity then Malazan Book of the Fallen is a good series for that. I have only read the first two books but they were both good.

Sci-fi wise, depends on what you are looking for. For space opera you cant go wrong with Hyperion Cantos or Ilium/Olympos by Dan Simmons. For something more grounded, Metro 2033 is good, its sequel is alright as well. Starship Troopers is another good choice for classic military science fiction.

I personally love southern gothic, basically anything by Cormac McCarthy or Flannery O'Connor. Blood Meridian and A Good Man is Hard to Find are my personal picks from those two, but you cant really miss. The Devil All the Time is a good more recent novel in that style.

Horror wise, definitely HP Lovecraft, but Shirley Jackson is another good pick. Other books that are more disturbing than outright horror, or feature horror elements, include American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis and basically anything by Hubert Selby Junior, noticeably Requiem for a Dream, Last Exit to Brooklyn, and The Room.

Other assorted recommendations include; Kafka on the Shore and Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami, Silence by Shusaku Endo, Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima, Stoner and Butchers Crossing by John Williams, and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.

Daggertail19 and Navier like this.
  4. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

What a coincidence, I finished reading that a few days ago. Liked it a lot.

I think there are two movies, a superior Soviet-era version and an American remake. I have to assume the latter is the one thats considered bad.

Daggertail19 likes this.
  5. Navier

Navier Fapstronaut

Yes what I heard is on the american version.

Can confirm HP Lovecraft is a great pick for some spooky short reads

Daggertail19 and AtomicTango like this.