1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Thats about the same I had for my first book as well. You have a rough page count in mind?

aspiringwriter1997 likes this.
  2. NaSa786

NaSa786 Fapstronaut

Will you be my accountability partner

3. NaSa786

NaSa786 Fapstronaut

??

4. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Hi there, welcome to the forum. I dont have the time to be anyone's accountability partner at the moment. You can make your own thread asking for an accountability partner in the section I will link below

https://forum.nofap.com/index.php?forums/accountability-partners.7/

5. Eh, not sure. I can tell you though that I've written 15 pages (or 8,548 words) so far between the two chapters so if we take that and do the math, I'm looking for a range of about 140-224 pages. Now, these numbers can change, but I think it's a good estimate to start off with at the moment.

GottaBFree and AtomicTango like this.
  6. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Worked 19 hours without a break today.... Some of it was eating expensive stakes so it's not like I was breaking rocks, but no time is no time lol.

I might take a day off again if I'm tired. I decided to delete big blocks of what is now chapter 8.

AtomicTango likes this.
  7. REDLIPSTICKPOP

REDLIPSTICKPOP Fapstronaut

Hi fellow writer here! Interested in joining a thread of fellow writers ;P

8. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Welcome, feel free to let us know what you are working on and post updates!

9. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1431 words today. I feel like, honestly, I have written too much today, because I had planned to have the chapter done by Wednesday or Thursday and now I could probably finish it tomorrow. This isnt a bad thing in and of itself, I'm just annoyed at myself that yet again I've gone way over my personal deadline and now I feel mentally exhausted. I need to stop pushing myself too hard when theres no reason for it.

10. GottaBFree and AtomicTango like this.
  11. REDLIPSTICKPOP

REDLIPSTICKPOP Fapstronaut

Neat! So I'm currently working on a historical fantasy novel, centered around a wanted pirate captain in the 18th Century and an ancient curse. I don't have a title, and I'm still working on getting thru chapter 8. I'm really bad at finishing things, because I have this compulsive habit of editing and re-editing until I fall down the rabbit hole, so my new strategy is to just write the chapters, even if they're horribly messy, and then go back and edit the whole book once I'm done.

12. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Got a couple hours in again. It's slow moving but I finally hit a stretch where I can write new content.

I need to pick up my pace to complete the book or make new timeline goals.

AtomicTango likes this.
  13. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Sounds interesting! I think the habit of editing too much is a common issue, and can cause problems when you are never happy with what you wrote. What I do is read through a chapter when it is complete, make minor alterations and fix obvious mistakes but leave it at that for the time being. Then, I do a proper pass through when I have a certain amount of the book done, then do that again when the book itself is done. As I am writing a trilogy I am going to keep repeating that process once all the books are done too, so I can make them all consistent with each other.

14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1111 words today (wow, how weird lol.)

I once again sacrificed my schedule to get this done but I finished the chapter with one of the best endings I think I've ever written so I think it works out. Gonna take tomorrow off and then get back to editing and planning Thursday and Friday, then take the weekend off too. Recently I've been fatigued almost all the time and whether its flatline, lack of sleep, or just me working too hard, I need to get on top of it soon. Next chapter is a fun, slower, easier chapter, looking forward to it after how challenging this one was.

15. You might wanna take a few days off to relax and unwind, not focus on writing and just let yourself catch a break because unchecked fatigue can turn into burnout and those aren't fun. I had two of them last year and they knocked me down for about 2 weeks each time.

GottaBFree and AtomicTango like this.
  16. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I'm pretty much not doing any more writing until Monday now. Planning chapters and editing is boring but not draining so I dont mind doing that, I dont feel irrationally obligated to do loads of it nor do I actually need to. My problem isnt fatigue with the book I dont think, I just think I'm sleep deprived and/or coming down with something.

17. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Wise. I get burned out and that leads to months off. I'm trying to sprint to the end, but if I'm not close enough for a sprint I'll slow back up.

AtomicTango likes this.
  18. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I've got myself in a situation where I am genuinely very passionate about my writing but I end up going way overboard too often. Last week I pushed myself really hard to get as much of the chapter done as possible, but then gave myself another week because it would be frankly undoable. What do I do then? I work way too long on Monday, get most of the rest of the chapter done in a single morning, make myself exhausted, and then promise to take it slow the rest of the week. Then I go ahead and do the exact same thing again today. I've repeated this exact song and dance so many times I cant even count all the instances.

Theres absolutely no reason for me to do this, let alone do it so often. I literally set myself the goal of "1000 words or more when I have the full morning, and 500 words when I have other things to do" and yet I just cant make myself stick to that routine, as though something awful will happen if I "only" write that much in one session. I always tell myself I wont push too hard, then when the time comes to close the document, I cant bring myself to do it a lot of the time.

aspiringwriter1997 likes this.
  19. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Birthed a feeble thing.
    Carve the flesh, steel underneath.
    I am born again.

GottaBFree likes this.
  20. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

If you've got the time and drive, not bad I guess. There is no pattern from the greats, other than they got it done in the end.

It's been another busy day, but I'm going to get my 2 hours in without staying up late.

AtomicTango likes this.