1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I find more hobbies?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Daggertail19, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Daggertail19

Daggertail19 Fapstronaut

Hello,

So I noticed that I do not have very many hobbies. Only ones I can think of is going to the gym (I go everyday) or playing guitar. I want more and think it will fill up my extra time.

Any tips on how I can find more hobbies? Stories on how you found your hobby/hobbies are encouraged.

Thanks.

FezMan76 likes this.
  2. That is an interesting question!

I would say most of my hobbies originated from trying a lot of different/new things and occasionally I would get fascinated by something or really enjoy a certain activity and, voila!, a new hobby!

Here is an interesting website I have used before that has an overview of and details on some of the most common hobbies. www.discoverahobby.com

Daggertail19 likes this.
  3. Daggertail19

Daggertail19 Fapstronaut

Thanks! This is helpful.

4. That's an interesting question but I don't think it has a simple answer. My belief is that you can't simply go to a site such as discoverahobby.com and find your next thing because you have certain predefined beliefs about different activities, which have up to this point, made you not exploring these activities further. From my own experience, what you have to do is to dive into something new and let your predefined beliefs step aside.

Let me give you myself as an example.
    I do digital art and has become pretty proficient at it. How come I started? A colleague of mine showed me a simple art program and I thought like "I should be able to do this better with my skill set". Suddenly I got a new hobby that would continue for over five years.

A friend of mine said to me "you're going to buy a half-year entry card to this climbing gym and we're going to climb twice or three times a week". I had always thought climbing was fun but climbing on a gym was just a big hassle because you had to deal with ropes and stuff. What I didn't know was there was this genre called bouldering, where you climb lower walls without rope. After that I climbed for eight years and still do, although not as much as before.

Nowadays I do unicycling. My predefined thought was that unicycling is something you do on circus, why even bother to learn it, it looks fun but in the end it's utterly pointless. Well, a friend of mine suddenly bought two unicycles and decided to learn the thing. I was lucky enough to try it out a couple of times before I bought my own one. Now, I unicycle in terrain and it's extremely fun.

My point here is that I would never have found these interests by my own but yet they have kept me busy for years and they still do. What you have to do is to let your predefined beliefs step aside and delve into something, first after you have tried it out you can say if you like it or not. Also, there are so many things you can do, it would be impossible to make a list of them, also there may be the sub genres of more general areas that would catch your interest. For example "climbing" is too unspecific, it has to be "bouldering". Cycling or even unicycling is too unspecific, it has to be "unicycling in the woods"...

What kind of hobby are you looking for? My advice to you would be to explore what your friends are doing and if you find something that has never interested you but at the same time, you have never tried it - go for it and try it out for a couple of weeks. The more outside your comfort zone it is, the better :)

Daggertail19 likes this.
  5. Daggertail19

Daggertail19 Fapstronaut

Thanks for sharing! Very insightful stuff. I'm sure it is not as easy as going to that website, but it definitely got me thinking about things I could be interested in. Which goes back to what you said about "diving in" to it.

I appreciate you sharing your experiences.

Force Majeure likes this.
  6. Watanabe

Watanabe Fapstronaut

I was always drawn to the natural world, birds, butterflies, moths, dragonflies, wildflowers, trees, fungi, fish, frogs, newts etc! So I guess I was always destined to spend my free time tramping around with binoculars and guide books. Worth a try if it appeals, you can incorporate other interests as well like photography, cycling, hiking, camping, travelling as I have done. Granted though, it's not for everyone.

Daggertail19 likes this.
  7. OttarrTheVendelCrow

OttarrTheVendelCrow Fapstronaut

Make trying new things a hobby! This is how I found my hobbies. Set a monthly, or even weekly, goal of trying one new activity. No matter how dumb or boring you think it might be, if it catches your eye, go do it. If you hate it, then no love lost. If you love it, do it again. At the very least you will meet a lot of cool people and get a chance to try different things on for size.

Meetup is a great tool for this, and has the added benefit of being social. Look to find a club centered around what it is you are looking to try and ask if you can stop in to take a lesson or check it out. If you set a monthly goal that's 12 new things you will have tried by the end of the year. One of them might just stick. There are so many opportunities out there it is overwhelming to think about: archery, rock climbing, diving, swimming, running, cycling, pool, cards, reading, horse back riding, polo, skiing, snowboarding, alpinism, hiking, any instrument every made, any language, rowing, ad infinitum.

If you are stumped in terms of activities to try I would recommend two things: google, and podcasts. Look for people who are insanely good at something and try and understand why they are passionate about it. It may resonate with you and inspire you to try it yourself. This has been true for every hobby I have tried. It was presented to me through a source that articulated it in a way that sparked my interest and inspired me to try it.

I have a couple hobbies that I love dearly and poor a ton of time into. I found them using this method. If I had more spare time I would be taking my own advice and looking for more to try on for size!

Force Majeure and Watanabe like this.
  8. HelplessPleaseHelp?

HelplessPleaseHelp? Fapstronaut

Hi man, first of all you can put a lot of energy into your current hobbies and master them. It is a great feeling.
    Second, if you really want a new hobby, you can read about different stuff in the newspaper and see if something interests you. If it is, then it can be an opportunity for a new hobby.

Best of luck.

Tenma, Force Majeure and Daggertail19 like this.
  9. Tenma

Tenma Fapstronaut

Reading is a great hobby - :)

Watanabe and Daggertail19 like this.
  10. sicx3

sicx3 New Fapstronaut

If you have a work force development center you can go there to get help finding a job. they should offer you lots of things to do. Included in these should be describing skill sets and you may find thousands of categorized job-related skills to help assess your abilities. You might find a few sparks there. or try hobby lobby