1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. REDLIPSTICKPOP

REDLIPSTICKPOP Fapstronaut

Yeah, that's exactly my problem. At this point, I'm basically doing exactly what you explained, though I had to catch myself one time trying to fully edit a chapter, 3 chapters back.

How do you keep track of everything, throughout your books? Do you have like a world-building doc, with lore and stuff to keep up with the little/macro details in your trilogy? Just curious, because I always wondered how to do that, well, without having everything scattered. (I'm very much a scattered planner LOL)

GottaBFree likes this.
  2. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

A 3x5 note card with plot points helps. Then I can look at the card and think about the purpose of every event. The next revision after the notecard allows me to sharpen the plot points and increase tension.

If it's your 1st book (mine is) I think you will need to revise many times. Just try to add some new stuff every time you sit down and it's a win.

REDLIPSTICKPOP likes this.
  3. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

All you can really do to avoid this is to keep stopping yourself when you do it. If you keep revising the same content too many times it may end up losing something in the process and become worse than if you had just left it alone.

I do have several documents in a master document, each one pertaining to various aspects of the narrative. One for each of the books, with each chapter broken down into scenes and key plot points, as well as documents for the lore and history of the setting. I also have separate documents that explain the character arcs of certain characters when they have complex trajectories, so I dont suddenly veer off course.

The main things I forget about are the specific details of characters, for example eye colours, which I always need to go back and check. With a lot of my characters being weird aliens it gets tricky remembering what exactly the aliens are intended to look like as well as their specific mannerisms, naming conventions, and cultural differences. Its complex but rewarding to slot all this into place.

I also find it worth it to make sure you dont reuse the same exact phrases over and over again and have some way to easily check if you are. Now this is a point of contention because mainstream authors reuse the same phrases constantly and manage to get away with it, but its still worth diversifying your use of language as best you can unless its completely unavoidable. For example, its so hard finding new ways to describe space, because most of the time its just the same thing it was before. So instead I describe what's in that space, and focus on that. I also dont keep repeating what characters are wearing or their appearance over and over unless its changed from the last time or unless its important to. A good way to ensure you are still keeping the image of the scene vibrant in the readers mind while not stagnating in terms of your descriptions is to always be describing new things, or at least relating how old things have changed.

4. Well, I started my new article and wrote 513 words today. That's the most I've written in a singular session and I may work on it some more today or write some haikus or read. I'll have to see.

GottaBFree and AtomicTango like this.
  5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

@Henryforward We haven't heard from you in a couple weeks. Everything going OK?

6. REDLIPSTICKPOP

Thank you so much for the tips! What do you mean by a 3x5 note card btw? Do you mean that literally, or is that a writers concept or something? Either way, it sounds really helpful! I will definitely try this--sounds like it makes the process simpler.

So, it's technically my first "real" book. I used to write fiction when I was in high school, but the quality from then to now is radically different. Thanks for the perspective... ngl it is frustrating at times. I'm a lil bit of a perfectionist, so it's good to know it won't be perfect the first, second, or maybe even third time.

7. REDLIPSTICKPOP

Ahhh, okay gotcha! Yeah, and I find when I come back to something after awhile, it actually isn't as "bad" as I made it seem in my head. The distance from it helps to give me more clarity

Ohh wow, this is some really helpful information, especially the last bit about describing something new things. I honestly did wonder how to stop reusing key phrases (that are important to know, but not to hammer someone over the head with), and yet still make the action and surrounding environment interesting. I'm definitely stealing this tip LOL.

AtomicTango likes this.
  8. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I often find this is the case as well. Its a good idea to set aside a day a week where you go over the weeks writing, so you can reassess it and try to be objective. Ideally, as time goes on, you will find that its easier to do this without needing to completely uproot entire sections.

Another piece of advice in that vein, for first drafts, focus on the plot and the narrative structure before you focus on dialogue and descriptions. Its much easier to go back and change dialogue, add character moments, and alter descriptions than it is to go back and change plot points.

GottaBFree and REDLIPSTICKPOP like this.
  9. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

I mean 3 inches by 5 inches. Bullet points help me focus on events and orders of events.

aricking and REDLIPSTICKPOP like this.
  10. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

That's ideal and great advice.

If the story isn't authentic, then it's gotta be fixed no matter the price.

Like Mike Tyson said, "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." Lol.

If my book sells successfully it will be a result of the less ideal path I'm following now.

This reordering has taken me from playing writer to creating my best work. If it doesn't succed, I'll know there isn't a market for my vision of a good book.

aricking and AtomicTango like this.
  11. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

I'm going overboard today. Still working. I'm at only 1,000 new words but I'm revising as I go. I'm raising the stakes of the story.

aricking and AtomicTango like this.
  12. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Just got done reading through and editing the most recent chapter. 9813 words, bringing my page total to 325. I have completed 18/38 chapters, so theres still a lot to go. Just for reference, book 1 was 441 pages total and had 30 chapters. Guess I was far from wrong when I said the second book would be much longer.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  13. Just wrote my second entry in my stoic thingy today, haha.

GottaBFree, AtomicTango and aricking like this.
  14. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

This is cool. It's one thing to read articles that talk about world building in sci-fi but it's cool to "watch" you perfecting your craft. Thanks for posting while going through the process.

I've been working on writing a conspiracy thriller and it has pulled me into different focuses. It would be expected based on the same articles, but experiencing it is different.

I spend great effort distracting the reader while I build the world to get them to buy into an intentionally stupid plot lol. Nobody says it that plainly, but for my craft that is an important part of the game lol.

I took the day off of writing because it was busy. Tommorow might be the same and this weekend is a wildcard. I'd love to get 2 marathon sessions in. I smell blood in the water - my rewrite is going well.

I'm going to try limiting my nonwriting screentime over the weekend. I may check into my "groups" here if needed, but I'll report my writing progress Monday.

Good luck to all over the weekend! May your weekend be as great as your characters is horrible lol.

AtomicTango likes this.
  15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I spent the whole morning planning out 4 chapters, one each for my two main protagonists and then two for my third protagonist. It was tiring as hell but I am glad I put the time and effort in now, because I now have a much clearer view of what was previously too vague to work with based on my existing notes. This is the issue with complex and or possibly convoluted plot trajectories, even I often forget exactly what I am trying to accomplish and curse my past self for not being specific enough when planning. This cant possibly be an issue now, its planned to the last detail, I cant possibly BE more in depth. Job done, taking the rest of the week off now lol.

16. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I'm really starting to think trying to get a chapter done a week is going to become more and more impractical the further into book 2 I get. Its going to get even harder when I get to book 3. The issue I foresee is twofold. Firstly, the chapters themselves are going to get longer and longer in general, sure there are some very short ones mixed in but most HAVE to get longer and longer to actually function, if I tried to abridge them too much the story would falter and it would becoming boring and bland to read in my opinion. Secondly, its going to get harder and harder to maintain my current output when more and more chapters are becoming more and more complex, with so many moving parts to keep track of and incorporate. The most recent chapter I think is a sign of things to come, so with that in mind I'm going to allow myself two weeks from now on to finish all but the simplest of chapters, with the intention being that I will spend the free days on the second week doing the detailed plans I did today. This way I am maximising time without feeling like I need to rush to fit it all into one week, or dally to fit it into two. Most chapters WONT actually take two full weeks, but if I act like they might, I will feel less rushed and probably feel less mentally drained when I stop working for the day.

Thoughts?

17. Made it up to 1220 words in my article.

GottaBFree and AtomicTango like this.
  18. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Amazing how only a single day away from any sort of work makes me eager to get back to it. Still taking Sunday off but looking forward to writing tomorrow.

aspiringwriter1997 likes this.
  19. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Snowflakes pirouette.
    Gone before they touch the earth.
    Such impermanence.

aspiringwriter1997 likes this.
  20. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1654 words today, a great start to a new chapter.