1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dead to Sin and Alive in Christ

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. I heard a Tim Keller podcast the other day and he said something that resonated with me. He said that worship is ascribing ultimate value to something. Because we were created to worship God, we are supposed to be ascribing ultimate value to Him and our relationship with Him. What we do instead, is start ascribing ultimate value to other things like power, approval, comfort, control, sex, status, success, PMO and the list goes on and on. When we substitute one of these in God's place, it now controls us. For me I wanted comfort, control, and immorality/PMO. The point of the sermon was that in order to be converted, we have to change what we worship. It has to be God and God alone. From Him flows all other good pleasures. Love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, kindness, gentleness and SELF-CONTROL.

2. God wants to bless us. He wants us to see what he sees. The person he created us to be. He doesn’t want us to only think of ourselves as hopeless helpless sinners. He wants to show you the gifts and talents that he gave you and develop those to the fullest. The longer we stay away from PMO, the more we will see our new self and the blessings.

Roady and Tao Jones like this.
  3. The enemy’s tests are designed for you to fail and abandon God. God’s tests are designed for you to succeed and grow and get closer to Him. Sometimes these are one in the same, meaning that God is testing you and the temptation from the enemy is to take a way out. He wants to thwart the good work being done by God if you pass.

Brothers, I believe this happens every time we are tempted to PMO. When the negative emotions come, or whatever the root cause of our addiction is, we have an opportunity to go to God and grow in strength, perseverance, and enjoy His comfort and fellowship or PMO, which as you know is only a temporary comfort that never satisfies and only leaves us worse on the other side of it. Trust me the other way is so much better!

Tao Jones likes this.
  4. Soldier of Christ

Soldier of Christ Fapstronaut

• Consecration
    God's promise is, “Ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall search for Me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13. SC 43.1

The whole heart must be yielded to God, or the change can never be wrought in us by which we are to be restored to His likeness. By nature we are alienated from God. The Holy Spirit describes our condition in such words as these: “Dead in trespasses and sins;” “the whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint;” “no soundness in it.” We are held fast in the snare of Satan, “taken captive by him at his will.” Ephesians 2:1; Isaiah 1:5, 6; 2 Timothy 2:26. God desires to heal us, to set us free. But since this requires an entire transformation, a renewing of our whole nature, we must yield ourselves wholly to Him. SC 43.2

The warfare against self is the greatest battle that was ever fought. The yielding of self, surrendering all to the will of God, requires a struggle; but the soul must submit to God before it can be renewed in holiness. SC 43.3

The government of God is not, as Satan would make it appear, founded upon a blind submission, an unreasoning control. It appeals to the intellect and the conscience. “Come now, and let us reason together” is the Creator's invitation to the beings He has made. Isaiah 1:18. God does not force the will of His creatures. He cannot accept an homage that is not willingly and intelligently given. A mere forced submission would prevent all real development of mind or character; it would make man a mere automaton. Such is not the purpose of the Creator. He desires that man, the crowning work of His creative power, shall reach the highest possible development. He sets before us the height of blessing to which He desires to bring us through His grace. He invites us to give ourselves to Him, that He may work His will in us. It remains for us to choose whether we will be set free from the bondage of sin, to share the glorious liberty of the sons of God. SC 43.4

In giving ourselves to God, we must necessarily give up all that would separate us from Him. Hence the Saviour says, “Whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be My disciple.” Luke 14:33. Whatever shall draw away the heart from God must be given up. Mammon is the idol of many. The love of money, the desire for wealth, is the golden chain that binds them to Satan. Reputation and worldly honor are worshiped by another class. The life of selfish ease and freedom from responsibility is the idol of others. But these slavish bands must be broken. We cannot be half the Lord's and half the world's. We are not God's children unless we are such entirely. (Ellen White, Steps to Christ pp 43.1 - 44.1)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Myfortress, Roady and Tao Jones like this.
  5. Is this the source for your quote?
    https://m.egwwritings.org/en/book/108.160

I'm not familiar with that reference notation style, but this is what Google returned.

Be sure to provide a source for any and all quotations. Thanks!

6. Soldier of Christ

Soldier of Christ Fapstronaut

It's okay Tao Jones. I'll be more specific with the quotes. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Tao Jones likes this.
  7. Brothers and Sisters
    When we are in our sins we cannot see clearly how blessed we are as adopted sons and daughters of Jesus Christ. The enemy wants to keep us from knowing just how loved and blessed we are. I want to challenge others in our community to post ways God has gifted and blessed you. Then think about how God wants to use those gifts and talents to reach and help others. This can be your job, hobbies, or sports. Then we can all pray blessings over one another and see what God will do.

Better Man Today and Tao Jones like this.
  8. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

My blessings are so numerous and incredible it is hard to list them or even prioritize them in terms of importance so I will mention only two here. (1) I was raised by loving Christian parents who never gave me cause to doubt their love and who sacrificed to insure I, and my siblings, all received a good education in our faith. What an amazing and indispensable gift they gave us! (2) I was an awkward teenager who did not fit into the popular crowd and my teenage years were very unhappy ones. When I began University, I prayed intently for God to introduce me to my soulmate and so He did. We met and married at the tender ages of 18 & 19; a time in life where we did not have the wisdom to consider what one should seek in a spouse. We only knew we didn't want to be parted from one another. Clearly, Our Lord directed us together and today our love is a treasure beyond compare. The list of my numerous blessings goes on and on. Yesterday my prayers included the thought - thank you for the talents you have given me and ones you did not give me.

Myfortress and Tao Jones like this.
  9. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Well said and thank you for saying it! Please allow me to add that God always gives us a way out; a means of help with temptation. In my case, I find when I pray for it, He will remind me as I come near to an occasion of sin. I can use my free will to ignore His warning or to heed it.

Myfortress, Tao Jones and Beatthis like this.
  10. Brothers and Sisters
    God is constantly pursuing us.

When Adam and Eve first sinned, they started hiding from God. They introduced life in the darkness apart from God. They hid from each other and God.

You do not have to get cleaned up before you meet Jesus.

You are not going to find Jesus in the darkness., where there is deceit, cover up, and denial.

Jesus is not in confined spaces. We do not meet Jesus on our terms. You can only find Jesus on His terms with submission, confession, honesty, humility and sincerity.

Tao Jones and CPilot like this.
  11. I just learned from a Sunday School book that in it's most simple form worship is focusing on and responding to God. I encourage others to remember this and apply it from the heart all of the time. It is helping me keep from getting frustrated at work and reacting inappropriately.

CPilot and Tao Jones like this.
  12. God's Love for you is worthless if you do not accept it.

God has a plan for your life, but it is worthless, if you do not accept it.

Everything is not working for good if you are operating according to your plan and not God's.

This is what happened when I was younger. I was operating under my plan not God's. I was living my way instead of God's way. The consequences were horrific.

Tao Jones likes this.
  13. Brothers and Sisters,
    Salvation is by grace through faith. You accept what Christ has done for you. There are no works or boxes to check to be saved. However, if you want a deep intimacy with God and a hatred for your sins, then you will need to surrender your life completely to Christ and walk obediently in the spiritual disciplines that enhance that relationship.

Some of us mistakenly just keep repenting over and over and over again rather than go through the entire process of transformation surrender obedience and ultimately the greatest life you could ever hope for.

Anything you add to Jesus that is required in your life to make you happy, is from the enemy and Satan will use it to keep you trapped in prison and if unchecked He will use it to strangle the spiritual life right out of you.

14. Amen and amen!

CPilot and Myfortress like this.
  15. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

A perfect summary and a great analogy. Well done!

16. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

This is a great discussion which provokes many positive thoughts in me. Myfortress, thank you for starting this thread.
    For me, the negative example of the Pharisees has helped me to understand Paul's words. Christ chastised them for their hollow righteousness and the way they wielded it like a whip and a chair to discourage sinners from coming to God. Putting this in most pertinent terms, managing another day free from PMO, solely for the sake of posting a greater number of days would be tantamount to being a Pharisee (and undoubtedly unsustainable). Conversely, managing another day free from PMO as an act of love to Our Precious Lord draws us to Christ and fills a heart with joy and love. As joy and love builds in us, we cannot help but seek a means to share it with others by our actions and our words. The Holy Spirit working in us and through us!

17. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I wish I could like this a thousand times. Thank you for taking the time to post it; such helpful advice. Marvelous!

18. I am struggling bad right now, I get drunk every night after work, pmo until I go to sleep, eat lots of junk food. I am in a pit that I have no will to climb out of.

19. You have your routine and you love it more than Christ. You have to get to the place where you realize that the sin is not really satisfying. A life with Christ at the center is the most satisfying. But you will not realize it until you try it wholeheartedly. You will have to make the decision to break out of your routine, choose a different way and impose the self discipline to execute it. God will give you The strength if you yoke up with him and put away the sin.

CPilot and Tao Jones like this.