1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Stereotypical Male

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Daggertail19, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Daggertail19

Daggertail19 Fapstronaut

Hello,

I have been thinking about something since someone commented on my post with some stereotypical things about how males should be. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed reading his post, but I have been thinking a lot about it lately and would like to share some thoughts.

I feel like some people are looking at some things in a different way, for example, the "nice guy" complex. While I believe that you can be too nice to people who do not deserve it, I don't exactly agree with the idea of how you "should" be. Labeling people as "too nice" or "the nice guy" can throw some people off and lead them to believe that being nice should be thrown out of the picture. There is nothing wrong with being respectful and treating others with care. Like I said, being too nice is a thing, and I do not believe everyone should be held to the exact same standard. However you can still be respectful without exactly obsessing over someone and giving them more than they deserve.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be like the alpha male's you see in the movies. But if that comes with being disrespectful and treating women as a disposable object, I am cool with trying to be myself rather than anything else.

Thoughts?

kropo82, Agent, Daryn and 1 other person like this.
  2. It's difficult to comment on the conversation you had prior to this, but I agree 100% with what you say here.

I think "being the nice guy" is used in a derogatory kind of way similar to the more modern notion of "simping". What they're referring to is simply a man who will do any- and everything for a woman, to the point where it's just dumb and harmful to his dignity. It can also cause others to take advantage of you, exploit you, step on you, etc. I guess at some point we've all been so in love with someone that we made absolute fools of ourselves in the pursuit of that person. Looking back, we often regret being so stupid and blinded by love. But of course you're supposed to treat women with respect and kindness. Just know your own worth and don't bend over backwards for anyone.
    A good example of a respectful, nice guy alpha male that immediately comes to mind is Dwayne Johnson. He openly shows that he has a big heart, is full of empathy, love, kindness, respect, humbleness, etc. But I don't think anyone will try and take advantage of his kindness because he's also an absolute alpha beast and a tough guy that you don't wanna rub the wrong way.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Daggertail19 likes this.
  3. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Nice and respect is earnt, consideration to not being hurtful is given.

The rest is bs.

Daggertail19 likes this.
  4. Daryn

Daryn Fapstronaut

Nothing is wrong with being a kind natured person. It's just that with "nice guys" they reach a point where it exceeds the social norm & obviously want something in exchange for their kindness. People hate "nice guys" cause the guys who use that tactic are low-value men in the first place & kindness with an ulterior motive is just deception.

MLMVSS and SickSicko like this.
  5. AlexRoIs

AlexRoIs Fapstronaut

Study them and ACT towards becoming like them

6. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

In an ideal world this should be the stereotype of men

Daggertail19 likes this.
  7. Gender normative claims are completely meaningless to me. I see no reason that any person should prescribe any other person to dress or behave a certain way unless it endows them with personal satisfaction or accomplishes some practical goal. Personal satisfaction doesn't do it for me, and whatever practical goal gender normative claims fulfill, I have yet to witness.

8. Agent

Agent Fapstronaut

Our culture nowadays is filled with stupid people who think they are clearly superior because they act tough, forget that. A man should be nice, confident & respectful with no shame.
    Then you have those guys who will say you're a simp because you do a nice complement to a girl. Like real men never did that past centuries...

Those "alpha male" usually are just egocentric toxic men with lots of pride, "haha you're a virgin and i already banged 30 girls!!". And that moves a lot of young / old guys into thinking in order for you to be a real man you need to be like those "alphas" and gurus online. Ridiculous.

In my case, i stopped giving a shit about those labels. In the end they mean nothing.
    I believe that guys should not behave like girls do usually by nature, learn with those guys who you feel are doing the right thing, it can be either your father, grandfather or someone else, i don't recommend looking at movies neither internet opinions to figure out on how you should be. Imo they transmit by far the worst ideas on how men should be.

Daggertail19 likes this.
  9. Daggertail19

Daggertail19 Fapstronaut

This is probably the best advice I've ever read. Forgetting about the labels would be so beneficial to my life, and think it's so important.

Thanks brother.

Agent likes this.
  10. Agent

Agent Fapstronaut

No problem, just do you.

Daggertail19 likes this.
  11. I had many inner battles about "Being a man" or "Being an alpha" when I was more insecure, but, in the end, I realized it doesn't matter. Why? Because anyone can tell you, despite what you've accomplished, that you are a wimp, or that you're worth nothing.
    You talked about "Alphas", but people that may be labeled as such by some may also be labeled as "Meatheads" by others. According to X you could be a "Well mannered person", while to Y you could be a "Wimpy soyboy". In italian we say "È impossibile prendere da tutte le parti", which can be traslated as "It's impossible to be right according to everyone".
    First of all, you should think about what it is that you want from yourself, and then act accordingly. I, personally, do as I please, and I am fairly happy with my condition. The only times I compromise is when there is something important at stake or when close friends and family members may be upset by what I do.

Daggertail19 likes this.
  12. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Lots of great advice on this thread. If you don't fulfil some particular woman's idea of what a man should be like, don't sweat it - you were never going to be the man for her, and it's better to learn that now than after ten unhappy years together. Pretending to be what you aren't will only attract women you aren't suited to. Which might seem like fun, but it's a dangerous game to play. And so much better to be the BEST VERSI0N of yourself and attract women that are ideally suited to you as well.

Daggertail19 likes this.
  13. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

And the legends say he became an alpha when he stopped giving a fuck about being considered an alpha...

Daggertail19 likes this.
  14. Karumi

Karumi Fapstronaut

Wise words :emoji_pray:

15. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Being a “nice guy” is synonymous with being a pushover. They get made fun of because they’re weak, and they don’t stand for anything. They’re conniving flip-floppers more than a politician, and they have as strong a backbone as one.

Contrast that with a good guy, who doesn’t act as a brutish jerk, but stands for his beliefs. If you want inspiration for male figures, look at our religious founders or our activists. Jesus Christ, the Buddha, MLK, Gandhi, etc. They were all kind, but they weren’t expecting anything in return other than what they asked for. They also don’t care about what characteristics or stereotypes make them a man, but what characteristics make them good.

People just get the two mixed up. Nice guys are kind because they expect a reward, not because it’s their true belief, and therefore they should be romantically avoided.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021